Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mack Wilson
He's a 3d rounder. Fight me!

Joe Goodberry

If you’re looking for Alabama’s Mack Wilson, and I swear I don’t hate the Crimson Tide, he’s ranked as the 26th best linebacker because of his athleticism (50.9), production (37) and consistency (64) drag down a strong video grade of 74. It’s just hard to get excited about a prospect that fails to meet so many thresholds that most of the top NFL linebackers hit in college.

(He ran a 4.7 forty and was abysmal in all the drills)

---

Bruglar has him high but I don't know why as he says,

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Alabama, Wilson took over as the full-time MIKE linebacker in Nick Saban’s 3-4 scheme as a junior and produced mixed results. He was pegged early on as the next first-round linebacker in the Alabama pipeline, but his development appeared stagnant throughout the 2018 season, not taking the expected steps in his growth as a player. Wilson is a good-sized athlete with the fluid movements, field range and ball awareness to make plays against the pass and the run. However, he needs to become more refined to be a reliable playmaker, projecting similarly to an inconsistent version of Colts’ linebacker Darius Leonard. Overall, Wilson’s wild play, undisciplined approach and lack of anticipation are holding him back, but he is an impressive size/speed/strength athlete with the versatile skill-set to develop into a true three-down NFL player.

---

Arif Hasan amassed a consensus Big Board denoting (people who simply project) and ( people who actually evaluate) and gave them a combined score. it's interesting stuff as some players vary wildly but Wilson comes in 55 on both mainly because of production. I wouldn't count on that production.

In fairness Burfict was about the same he worked out for a while anyway.

But I have 5 or 6 other LB's that I would easily take over him.
Reply/Quote
Mack Wilson ran a 4.7 then ran a 4.65 I'd say hes in that range but he looks faster on tape than he does running track.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have heard mid 20’s and I have heard top half of 2nd. 3rd rounder isn’t happening, if it did the Bengals better be begging people at the top to let them in.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 06:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: I have heard mid 20’s and I have heard top half of 2nd. 3rd rounder isn’t happening, if it did the Bengals better be begging people at the top to let them in.

Well, we are in the third. He’s a marginal pick and we’ll probably pick him this round.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2019, 10:45 PM)yang Wrote: Well, we are in the third. He’s a marginal pick and we’ll probably pick him this round.

To be fair I had sample a 6th round pick so everyone sees value differently lol.

Side note, I did say today in other threads that when I talked to someone I know there is an incident that has him off some teams boards. That was at 8am so take it for what it’s worth, he may now end up in the 4th or 5th because of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2019, 04:41 PM)yang Wrote: He's a 3d rounder.  Fight me!

Joe Goodberry

If you’re looking for Alabama’s Mack Wilson, and I swear I don’t hate the Crimson Tide, he’s ranked as the 26th best linebacker because of his athleticism (50.9), production (37) and consistency (64) drag down a strong video grade of 74. It’s just hard to get excited about a prospect that fails to meet so many thresholds that most of the top NFL linebackers hit in college.

(He ran a 4.7 forty and was abysmal in all the drills)  

---

Bruglar has him high but I don't know why as he says,

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Alabama, Wilson took over as the full-time MIKE linebacker in Nick Saban’s 3-4 scheme as a junior and produced mixed results. He was pegged early on as the next first-round linebacker in the Alabama pipeline, but his development appeared stagnant throughout the 2018 season, not taking the expected steps in his growth as a player. Wilson is a good-sized athlete with the fluid movements, field range and ball awareness to make plays against the pass and the run. However, he needs to become more refined to be a reliable playmaker, projecting similarly to an inconsistent version of Colts’ linebacker Darius Leonard. Overall, Wilson’s wild play, undisciplined approach and lack of anticipation are holding him back, but he is an impressive size/speed/strength athlete with the versatile skill-set to develop into a true three-down NFL player.

---

Arif Hasan amassed a consensus Big Board denoting (people who simply project) and ( people who actually evaluate) and gave them a combined score.  it's interesting stuff as some players vary wildly but  Wilson comes in 55 on both mainly because of production.  I wouldn't count on that production.  

In fairness Burfict was about the same he worked out for a while anyway.

But I have 5 or 6 other LB's that I would easily take over him.

Hope the Bengals take him with 71. We'll see in a few minutes.
Reply/Quote
I have at least 3 ahead of him and we took one, Pratt. Solid pick for the spot. But they are just taking people they liked at the Senior Bowl apparently.
Reply/Quote
I think one thing's for sure:
This board definitely overrated Wilson. The NFL disagrees with the idea that he was a 2nd round prospect. And it seems to think he isn't a 3rd round prospect either.
Maybe we'll see him in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
Maybe he's another Nick Vigil -- so we can get him in the 4th like we got Nick.

This year we aren't going to draft our way to elite linebacking corps but that isn't to say the unit can't be improved. That said, maybe the team's headtrust has other ideas about how to do that -- like some overlooked players they will go after in 6.

Reply/Quote
Just take him if he’s still there. We have a million late round picks anyway.

Reply/Quote
If there is a character issue we may steer clear of him. I know Mike Brown likes 2nd chances but maybe our new head coach doesn't.
Reply/Quote
We got Lawson in the 4th right? I'll take it
Reply/Quote
Fifth round and he's still there. As I said, many evaluators had him about 25th on their board for analytics and production. Tape doesn't lie. If you are outside the boundaries you probably won't be successful in the NFL
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:03 PM)yang Wrote: Fifth round and he's still there. As I said, many evaluators had him about 25th on their board for analytics and production. Tape doesn't lie. If you are outside the boundaries you probably won't be successful in the NFL

Lol as I keep telling you, he was removed from a lot of boards for a character flag. I said it after day 1 per a source of mine. The tape doesn’t lie and he is better than a 5th round player, even an Auburn fan would tell you that. There are plenty of guys who have been drafted who fall outside the measurable you keep talking about, Burr-Kirven for example who just went.
Reply/Quote
Adding to this, I did start to get more information. Saban was pissed he left early against his wishes. No one is more connected than Saban in NFL circles and apparently he was basically portrayed by him as difficult to coach, not hard worker, etc.
Reply/Quote
Gone to Browns. They don't care about character probs clearly. T Hill will be a Brown soon too
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:33 PM)Takedown Wrote: Gone to Browns. They don't care about character probs clearly. T Hill will be a Brown soon too

I see a team ready to implode...

Almost feel sorry for Stains fans, they glimpse a little bit of winning (all be it against losing teams) then BOOM!!!

It's all gone heh heh...

Diva city.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I see a team ready to implode...

Almost feel sorry for Stains fans, they glimpse a little bit of winning (all be it against losing teams) then BOOM!!!

It's all gone heh heh...

Diva city.

You wouldn't be suggesting the Browns have some sort of track record of this kind of stuff now would you?  I'm still waiting for Mayfield to melt down and become a career backup somewhere in the Canadian leagues.. That would do my heart good...maybe even better than if I quit smoking..  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 03:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: Adding to this, I did start to get more information. Saban was pissed he left early against his wishes. No one is more connected than Saban in NFL circles and apparently he was basically portrayed by him as difficult to coach, not hard worker, etc.

LOL, you really can’t admit you were wrong about him. Whatever.

32 teams don’t give two shits about Saban’s opinion of him leaving early.

He had a bad productions and horrible analytics.

I thought some team would reach in the third to get him but they saw what other evaluators did as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm relatively certain a Marvin Lewis led team takes Mack Wilson in the 4th round.

He has all the makings of a classic Lewis pick.

Big school. High profile. Loved by the analysts. Has some sort of red mark that causes him to drop 2 to 3 rounds lower than expected by said analysts.

Lewis was the king of ending high profile players' free falls:
Rey Maualuga
Michael Johnson
Chase Coffman
Carlos Dunlap
Brandon Ghee
Dontay Moch
Clint Boling
Devon Still
Brandon Thompson
Orson Charles
Marvin Jones
George Iloka
AJ McCarron
Jake Fisher
Paul Dawson
Josh Shaw
Marcus Hardison
Derron Smith
Andrew Billings
Christian Westerman
Jordan Willis
Carl Lawson
Josh Malone

Every single one of these picks were popular picks in mock drafts at least 1 round higher than we selected them (many of them 2 or 3 rounds).

Many have worked out (Maualuga, Johnson, Dunlap, Jones, Illoka, Willis, Lawson, perhaps Westerman and Billings). Many more have been complete and utter busts (basically all the others).

But nearly all of them brought in those sweet sweet A grades the day after the draft! Big Grin
Reply/Quote