Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mack Wilson
(04-27-2019, 04:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: You wouldn't be suggesting the Browns have some sort of track record of this kind of stuff now would you?  I'm still waiting for Mayfield to melt down and become a career backup somewhere in the Canadian leagues.. That would do my heart good...maybe even better than if I quit smoking..  Tongue

Ha ha, love it Gramps, they DO have a track record of that kind of stuff...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 09:54 PM)yang Wrote: LOL, you really can’t admit you were wrong about him. Whatever.

32 teams don’t give two shits about Saban’s opinion of him leaving early.

He had a bad productions and horrible analytics.

I thought some team would reach in the third to get him but they saw what other evaluators did as well.

You called him a 3rd (then asked people to fight you haha), relax skipper. I’m just telling you what I hear if you don’t want to read it, don’t.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2019, 10:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: You called him a 3rd (then asked people to fight you haha), relax skipper. I’m just telling you what I hear if you don’t want to read it, don’t.

Oh okay. I’m newer on this board and didn’t realize you had such a sensitive ego. If you want o make up stuff about having inside knowledge after the fact to cover up you were so wrong go ahead.

The fact remains that many on this board claimed we should take him early 2nd and that he was better than the Devins and a future all pro. You fell into that camp.

So, yeah I was wrong he didn’t get drafted in the third. I’ll admit I was wrong. He was in fact a 5th round pick and special teamer that hopes to be a backup in the league a few years.

We know this from production and tape. Ooh wait, I mean the conspiracy by the owners against him (wink, wink).
Reply/Quote
I mocked Jonah in first and Mack in 2nd back in February. So I fell into the camp that thought he would be drafted higher than he was. Not fair to point out people here overvalued him without also saying just about everyone had him 3rd ranked Lb’er In draft (excluding Allen; and yes a minority of voices had Pratt above Mack.). All that to say, some times this echo chamber (this message board) can cause someone to be overvalued, but my contention is most experts that Mack was 2nd round draft pick. It wasn’t he echo chamber effect.
Reply/Quote
I think Mack is a perfect example of how all the media outlets become an echo chamber in their own right. Like, if CBSsports, ESPN, NFL.com, Walterfootball and SI all said Mack is a 2nd round prospect, do you think another group would have the balls to say "actually, he's a 5th round prospect' even if it were true?

I was never comfortable with Mack in the 2nd round. I would have liked him in the third round, but apparently even that would have been a reach haha. We'll see if he does anything in the NFL with the Browns.
Reply/Quote
....or maybe as I told everyone after round 1 (way before these tweets by the way) there was a character red flag that had him off teams boards. Because it wasn't out in force in the media no one wanted to believe me. He is a far better player than the 5th round, I guess we will see though.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: ....or maybe as I told everyone after round 1 (way before these tweets by the way) there was a character red flag that had him off teams boards. Because it wasn't out in force in the media no one wanted to believe me. He is a far better player than the 5th round, I guess we will see though.

Yea I remember Nick Saban coming out and saying he was leaving too early and he needed to stay at Alabama another year. Have to wonder if Saban really killed this kids draft stock.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea I remember Nick Saban coming out and saying he was leaving too early and he needed to stay at Alabama another year. Have to wonder if Saban really killed this kids draft stock.

There is also the rumor he is gay hanging out there.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: There is also the rumor he is gay hanging out there.

Then we really should have drafted him so he can stick it to the squeelers and browns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
So...dropping to the 5th round means that he'll never amount to anything as an NFL player? Let's wait until he actually plays a snap before he's declared the most overrated LB ever, no? 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think Mack is a perfect example of how all the media outlets become an echo chamber in their own right. Like, if CBSsports, ESPN, NFL.com, Walterfootball and SI all said Mack is a 2nd round prospect, do you think another group would have the balls to say "actually, he's a 5th round prospect' even if it were true?

I was never comfortable with Mack in the 2nd round. I would have liked him in the third round, but apparently even that would have been a reach haha. We'll see if he does anything in the NFL with the Browns.

It happens, mostly as clickbait. CBS has been horrible about it the last few years in regards to mock drafts. 

Look at the QBs. Some guys had Jones as a top 12, other guys said he'd be 2-3rd round. Some were saying Haskins would fall to the second. I forget if it was Rypien or Patterson, but one of them was anyone from 15th overall to UDFA.

A lot of it, I think, is just outlets being lazy and reading the same reports that the rest of them get. Every once in a while, someone hears something from a source or gets a tip and it drives the 'Haskins to slip, teams worried because he hates pasta!' headlines. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2019, 11:59 AM)Benton Wrote: It happens, mostly as clickbait. CBS has been horrible about it the last few years in regards to mock drafts. 

Look at the QBs. Some guys had Jones as a top 12, other guys said he'd be 2-3rd round. Some were saying Haskins would fall to the second. I forget if it was Rypien or Patterson, but one of them was anyone from 15th overall to UDFA.

A lot of it, I think, is just outlets being lazy and reading the same reports that the rest of them get. Every once in a while, someone hears something from a source or gets a tip and it drives the 'Haskins to slip, teams worried because he hates pasta!' headlines. 

A lot of draft sites suck now.  OurLads is still the best for me.  WalterFootball.com is an echo chamber and usually berates the Bengals even though all NFL teams select a player or two with red flags.  

One thing I love about Taylor so far is that he selected all high character players with leadership traits and good film study habits.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: ....or maybe as I told everyone after round 1 (way before these tweets by the way) there was a character red flag that had him off teams boards. Because it wasn't out in force in the media no one wanted to believe me. He is a far better player than the 5th round, I guess we will see though.

I ththink when Nick Saban talks a player down it carries alot of weight in the scouting community. He could stay stuff like he was late for practice didn't watch enough tape had trouble translating from the class room to thr field.

These are all character red flags but it was very public in Nick Saban's disappointment in Mack Wilson which likely caused him to slide.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
You have pundits that guess and evaluators that know what they are doing. When all the fans were clamoring for the guy in the 2nd the evaluators were mocking the pick. I didn't pull this out because I heard unsubstantiated rumors, it was because virtually every evaluator was seeing the analytics. I thought someone would reach and take him in the 2nd but it proves that teams had him ranked where he should have been and were not swayed by the big name school.
Reply/Quote
Update:

Wilson had 2 interceptions last night, including a pick six of Haskins, in his first preseason action. It's just preseason, but all indications from people at Browns camp is the kid is picking things up quickly. As I said coming out he'd find a lot of early work covering in nickel packages.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2019, 08:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: Update:

Wilson had 2 interceptions last night, including a pick six of Haskins, in his first preseason action. It's just preseason, but all indications from people at Browns camp is the kid is picking things up quickly. As I said coming out he'd find a lot of early work covering in nickel packages.

I too was high on Wilson. I thought he was worth a 2nd round pick, and I DEFINITELY would have taken him in Rd 4 over Finley. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
i wanted mack wilson too but of course alot people in here were against it lol some people man. here we are half way through pre season and our linebackers are still trash we had every oppurtunity to draft wilson but we didnt. clap for the staff and the braniacs in here just for s and g.
Reply/Quote
Through 3 games let's take a look at the rookie linebackers PFF grades...

Devin White (INJ)
Devin Bush 40.5
Germaine Pratt 59.6
Sione Takitaki (INJ)
Bobby Okereke 60.0
Quincy Williams 35.3
Drue Tranquill (No Score)
Ben Burr Kirven (No Score)
Ryan Connelly 44.37
Vosean Joseph (No Score)
Mack Wilson 69.7
Blake Cashman 60.4

As we can see of any rookie LB drafted before him Mack Wilson has played the best, including better than Devin Bush. Obviously it's early but as I said heading into the draft I actually thought Wilson would need some time to adjust and really come on at the end of the year, and I still think that, but he has adjusted better than anyone else. He is a low end starter level player now who by the end of the year should grade out as an upper tier starter (Already better than any LB on our roster starting).

As Yang said, there are pundits who guess and evaluators who know what they are doing. Only problem is knowing who is which, I trust my scout sources and this was a case where they were 100% right.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 08:25 AM)Au165 Wrote: Through 3 games let's take a look at the rookie linebackers PFF grades...

Devin White (INJ)
Devin Bush 40.5
Germaine Pratt 59.6
Sione Takitaki (INJ)
Bobby Okereke 60.0
Quincy Williams 35.3
Drue Tranquill (No Score)
Ben Burr Kirven (No Score)
Ryan Connelly 44.37
Vosean Joseph (No Score)
Mack Wilson 69.7
Blake Cashman 60.4

As we can see of any rookie LB drafted before him Mack Wilson has played the best, including better than Devin Bush. Obviously it's early but as I said heading into the draft I actually thought Wilson would need some time to adjust and really come on at the end of the year, and I still think that, but he has adjusted better than anyone else. He is a low end starter level player now who by the end of the year should grade out as an upper tier starter (Already better than any LB on our roster starting).

As Yang said, there are pundits who guess and evaluators who know what they are doing. Only problem is knowing who is which, I trust my scout sources and this was a case where they were 100% right.

I'm not surprised. There were some who had Mack Wilson ahead of Devin Bush. Wilson wasn't as fast but he was better in coverage than Bush.
I would have loved to have both Wilson and Pratt.
With that said, the Bengals may not have given Wilson many snaps up to this point just like they have with Pratt, but we'll never know.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 09:59 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not surprised. There were some who had Mack Wilson ahead of Devin Bush. Wilson wasn't as fast but he was better in coverage than Bush.
I would have loved to have both Wilson and Pratt.
With that said, the Bengals may not have given Wilson many snaps up to this point just like they have with Pratt, but we'll never know.

It is 100% fair to point out Pratt is doing about as well as anyone else rookie wise. I wanted them to double up at LB just because of our lack of quality depth. 

Mainly, I just want to point out the victory lap by some when he fell to the 5th was premature haha. 
Reply/Quote