Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made my first radio commercial today
(01-22-2018, 04:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: Are you trying to poach drivers, or staff new or potential ones? If you are trying to poach them, why should drivers want to leave a known commodity of their current employer for yours? Did you explain that well enough in 30 seconds? You mentioned radio is expensive, why did you venture into radio over other avenues?

Sorry if I come across nosy, I do marketing for a living so I always find this interesting to get people's thoughts and approaches to these things.

Newspaper and indeed have been ineffective. It was our next choice.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:20 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Those channels demographics are poor white trash and he's trying to find truck drivers.  

Stereotype much?

With modern regulations and policies in place, not may "trash" folk are willing/able to do the job, these days.  At least for any carrier worth working for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Newspaper and indeed have been ineffective. It was our next choice.

I mean if they could read they wouldn't be truck drivers.

*triggering intensifies* 
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Stereotype much?

With modern regulations and policies in place, not may "trash" folk are willing/able to do the job, these days.  At least for any carrier worth working for.

When modern regulations stop you from being a truck driver

[Image: 0806-took-er-job-meme.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hey can we at least get a link or something to the commercial?
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 01:56 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: So you would have been a lot lizard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or trying to become a candidate for Pimp of the Year!  But probably trying to be a Lot Lizard...

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With modern regulations and policies in place, not may "trash" folk are willing/able to do the job, these days.  At least for any carrier worth working for.

Very true. The ELD mandate has caused some turmoil. I only lost 2 drivers over the deal but industry wide it has caused an impact which may not be seen for awhile. Rates have went up, less drivers to get it there, less time to get it there.

(01-22-2018, 08:49 PM)6andcounting Wrote: When modern regulations stop you from being a truck driver

The trucking industry is not attractive any longer to someone looking for a career. It has been one of those some who have entered was because their grandfather was a driver, their dad was a driver, etc. However, when your kin tell you not to get into it because they are getting out of it, it causes issues. We have a huge driver shortage and it's only getting worse.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 08:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: The trucking industry is not attractive any longer to someone looking for a career. It has been one of those some who have entered was because their grandfather was a driver, their dad was a driver, etc. However, when your kin tell you not to get into it because they are getting out of it, it causes issues. We have a huge driver shortage and it's only getting worse.

This is why I asked what your intentions were. It seems like an industry that is struggling to fill jobs by trying to look at your go to demographic, and continuously recycling current drivers is a short sighted, and probably futile, way to approach it. Eventually if you don't figure something else out that shortage will get worse. If the go to demographic doesn't want to do the job anymore, maybe it's time to try and appeal to a new one. Maybe figure out what motivates that new demographic and try to build the job and ad around those people. 
Reply/Quote
I always thought I would have liked being a truck driver. But I'd want a long haul. Like to Seattle or AZ although I don't know if those actually exist. Also I'd need someone to get me to the highway, and from the highway to the final destination. I don't think I'd do very well driving one of those in a city.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 09:47 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I always thought I would have liked being a truck driver.  But I'd want a long haul.  Like to Seattle or AZ although I don't know if those actually exist.  Also I'd need someone to get me to the highway, and from the highway to the final destination.  I don't think I'd do very well driving one of those in a city.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the technology being worked on is the opposite of what you want to do Ha. They are looking to have the trucks on autopilot while on the freeways then switch over to a driver when they get off the freeways.
Reply/Quote
Have you considered advertising on some of the more popular CB radio channels?

Wouldn't that be free?

All joking aside. I have three neighbors who are all brothers and have made very good careers as truck drivers. They all have nice houses and drive nice cars. Nothing trashy about any of them.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Have you considered advertising on some of the more popular CB radio channels?

Wouldn't that be free?

All joking aside. I have three neighbors who are all brothers and have made very good careers as truck drivers. They all have nice houses and drive nice cars. Nothing trashy about any of them.

Except their neighbors ;-)

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Interestingly enough, a lot of the technology being worked on is the opposite of what you want to do Ha. They are looking to have the trucks on autopilot while on the freeways then switch over to a driver when they get off the freeways.

Well shit.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:01 AM)Au165 Wrote: Interestingly enough, a lot of the technology being worked on is the opposite of what you want to do Ha. They are looking to have the trucks on autopilot while on the freeways then switch over to a driver when they get off the freeways.

Yet a driver is still needed.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 04:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yet a driver is still needed.

In the early going but the long term is they won't be, which is good because apparently no one wants to do it haha.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:23 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Except their neighbors ;-)

R.I.P. Fred
Reply/Quote
Awhile back several people I knew in the entertainment industry told me that I had a perfect radio voice and should pursue it for a living. I never did though. I kept thinking about the Harry Chapin song, W-O-L-D D-D-D
That life just didn't appeal to me..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 10:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: All joking aside.  I have three neighbors who are all brothers and have made very good careers as truck drivers.  They all have nice houses and drive nice cars.  Nothing trashy about any of them.

Most can make a good living driving. It's those who change jobs every 6mo's to a year that tend to fall behind because they are always starting over at the bottom of the pay scale. I've always kept my CDL as a fallback just in case I needed it. 

Reply/Quote