Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suspenders/braces/bib overalls
I have a regular sized body with a big beer belly. No matter how tightly I cinch up a belt it will fall below my belly if I sit down and get up a couple of times. I have to wear suits for my job and I was constantly having to pull up my pants and re-tuck my shirt. So I decided to to try braces (suspenders). They are amazing. I can wear my pants so they are comfortable and not cutting into my stomach around my waist yet my pants never fall down and my shirt never comes un-tucked.

They worked so well that I decided to get some bib overalls for work pants. Having my pants constantly drooping down under my belly in court was embarrassing, but having that happen while I am working with my hands full is actually dangerous. And many times I would try to carry stuff like a screwdriver, knife, tape measure, or other tools in my pockets which made my pants fall down even faster. Not only do bib overalls not fall down but they also have lots of large pockets and some even have loops to carry a hammer or paintbrush.

So if any of you are built like I am and having problems with your belt slipping down under your belly and your shirt coming untucked I highly recommend you try braces. The dressy type are outrageously priced in clothing stores, but you can get them on Amazon for around $10 a pair. I have a pair to match each suite and just leave them buttoned on the pants pants all the time.

The bib overalls are even more awesome. You can squat or crawl or do anything and your pants won't slip down. Plus you have lots of pockets to carry the stuff you need.
Reply/Quote
Great info Fred, thanks for sharing. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I don't like it!  Smirk

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv7izzvJlq2bQjA2UB-1t...cmcVcC2eOw]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fred you may want to use a leather tool belt to carry tools or a bucket..It is very easy to puncture yourself by carrying tools in pants pockets.
Reply/Quote
My brother has worn Liberty overalls for decades.  He worked for GE for 27 years before he got outsourced, swears by his Libertys.  When I'm working around the house in cooler temps, I always wear my bib Carhartts.  Hard to beat.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Plumbers crack solved !

Have insulated bib overalls for winter working and they are perfect.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Suspenders with dress slacks, yes. But I wear jeans a lot. Doesn't seem right with jeans.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
I like the concept of bibs and suspenders because I too have a big beer belly, but they always dig into my shoulders. What am I doing wrong? At the end of the night, I’m getting hair and skin rubbed off my shoulders from the suspenders and that really sucks. So I just put up with my belly over hanging my belt.

Not to mention the moose knuckle when I’m sitting in a chair. I usually have a testicle ‘fall asleep’ if I sit too long. If you’ve never experienced that, I hope you never have too. Merry
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 01:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I like the concept of bibs and suspenders because I too have a big beer belly, but they always dig into my shoulders. What am I doing wrong?  At the end of the night, I’m getting hair and skin rubbed off my shoulders from the suspenders and that really sucks.  So I just put up with my belly over hanging my belt.

Not to mention the moose knuckle when I’m sitting in a chair.  I usually have a testicle ‘fall asleep’ if I sit too long.  If you’ve never experienced that, I hope you never have too. Merry

Your braces are too short.  They are supposed to let your pants hang at belt level not pull them up in a perma-wedgie. 

Unless your pants weigh 20 lbs your braces should not be rubbing your shoulders that hard.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 12:03 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Suspenders with dress slacks, yes. But I wear jeans a lot. Doesn't seem right with jeans.

That is the way I used to feel, but I got tired of constantly pulling up my jeans.  So now I even wear suspenders with my jeans.  Since I usually don't tuck my shirt into my jeans I will often wear the braces under the shirt, but I don't mind wearing them outside of the shirt if I need to tuck it in.

This may just be me, but it helps if you use the button type with your jeans as well.  I think they look so much better than the clip on type.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2018, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Your braces are too short.  They are supposed to let your pants hang at belt level not pull them up in a perma-wedgie. 

Unless your pants weigh 20 lbs your braces should not be rubbing your shoulders that hard.

I’m open to trying them again, I just really didn’t like the rubbing and moose knuckles.

Don’t hipsters wear suspenders? Fred did you go hipster on us in your absence? :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I've been thin my entire life up until the past year or so when from out of nowhere I've become pregnant looking.. Trust me, I'm not pregnant or I would be instantly filthy rich, but I'm developing the same problem of having to constantly pull up my britches.. I owned a few pairs of suspenders,but had the already mentioned problem of perma-wedgy so I quit wearing them. I might just give them another shot and quit thinking about drilling new holes in my belt..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
You could wear suspenders or just do what I do, don't wear any pants. Problem solved.
Reply/Quote