Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Number: 8
Doing some research last night, I found that in the 13 Marvin Lewis drafts, only TWICE did we have less than 8 picks to work with, in 2005 and 2007 we had 7. This year, everyone should already know that we have 7.

My conclusion from this is that I'd be willing to bet we trade back at some point in the draft. We've lost more than we've gained this offseason and while I don't think this team is in dire need of extra draft picks, history has shown we value draft picks more than the average team.

Of course this could mean nothing since they've done it before, but out of all the years to predict a trade back, I'd say this year is pretty likely.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 02:03 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Doing some research last night, I found that in the 13 Marvin Lewis drafts, only TWICE did we have less than 8 picks to work with, in 2005 and 2007 we had 7. This year, everyone should already know that we have 7.

My conclusion from this is that I'd be willing to bet we trade back at some point in the draft. We've lost more than we've gained this offseason and while I don't think this team is in dire need of extra draft picks, history has shown we value draft picks more than the average team.

Of course this could mean nothing since they've done it before, but out of all the years to predict a trade back, I'd say this year is pretty likely.

Yep. I've seen that discussed quite a bit throughout the offseason and think it is something to keep an eye on. Why not trade down in the 1st and snag an extra pick or two and then still grab a very talented Wide Receiver like Michael Thomas or one of the best Defensive Tackles like Vernon Butler a few spots down from what we currently sit. It makes a lot of sense so hopefully it happens.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
It all comes down to value with this club. We will not reach. Marvin said yesterday, if you reach to fill a need, then you still have that need next year.

I honestly think though that a player will be there at 24. At least the board mock went that way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 03:04 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Yep. I've seen that discussed quite a bit throughout the offseason and think it is something to keep an eye on. Why not trade down in the 1st and snag an extra pick or two and then still grab a very talented Wide Receiver like Michael Thomas or one of the best Defensive Tackles like Vernon Butler a few spots down from what we currently sit. It makes a lot of sense so hopefully it happens.

My general philosophy is if I have the ammo, and a player I adore is falling close, I'm making calls to move up. If that doesn't materialize and I stay at my spot, and there isn't a player I absolutely love there, I would be making calls and listening for them to move back. 

The more active you are the better.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals could find a trade partner to move back from 24 to around early 30's, they could attain an extra third rounder. That pick would be very valuable and might even allow the Bengals to have the luxury pick of Jaylon Smith.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 02:03 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Doing some research last night, I found that in the 13 Marvin Lewis drafts, only TWICE did we have less than 8 picks to work with, in 2005 and 2007 we had 7. This year, everyone should already know that we have 7.

Never thought of that, great point.

If Billings, Doctson and Coleman aren't there at our pick i would love for us to trade back even out of the first.

More picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds would be great this year and that is usually where you find the best players.

Players get overrated by the combine and we forget about the guys that just know how to play football.
Reply/Quote
I hear what you are saying, but don't necessarily agree. This team does not have a lot of needs, so I'm not sure extra picks do that much good. Anything below the third round and the chances of the person even making the team are slim, let alone being a contributor.
Reply/Quote

i believe they could trade back to the end of the 1st or early 2nd if the price was right. and they believed their guy will still be their like Zeitler not long ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 12:49 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I hear what you are saying, but don't necessarily agree.  This team does not have a lot of needs, so I'm not sure extra picks do that much good.  Anything below the third round and the chances of the person even making the team are slim, let alone being a contributor.

Geno Atkins, George Iloka, Marvin Lewis Jones, Clint Boling all are pretty good and were picked in the mid rounds.

I know there is a lot more that never contributed but having more picks in the mid rounds increases your chances of finding players like this.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Geno Atkins, George Iloka, Marvin Lewis Jones, Clint Boling all are pretty good and were picked in the mid rounds.

I know there is a lot more that never contributed but having more picks in the mid rounds increases your chances of finding players like this.

Right, but the chances of finding a mid round guy who contributes immediately are pretty slim.
Reply/Quote
I believe we'll find a way to trade back. Whether it's in the first or second round, I imagine the Bengals want more picks. The teams picking high in the 2nd round always seem to looking to trade back up into the late 1st to get another guy and get him with the 5th year option, that'd be another possibility.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 03:19 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Right, but the chances of finding a mid round guy who contributes immediately are pretty slim.

True.
Reply/Quote