Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maher makes fun of Bpat, I mean comic book fans
(11-20-2018, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stan Lee has been quoted in a U S Supreme court decision.  Bill Maher has not.

Which one? Why? Dealing with copyright issues?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-20-2018, 04:59 PM)Dill Wrote: Good insight here. (and you might throw in tattoos now as well.) That's why I think it very much worth looking into these kinds of pop cultural phenomenon, though I'd leave the moralizing as a final, not a first step. First is to figure out what's happening in the larger culture/economy to explain this change in identity formation.

The answer, however, will not likely be "guns/video games/comics cause X behavior" since addictive behavior towards these objects is for those involved (and as you have framed it) the solution to some other, larger problem.  

I have no problem with that argument whatsoever.

Also agree about tattoos.  When I was a kid, they were things that old ex-military dudes had (like my dad and grandpa).  Now they're just random pictures on whoever pays for them.  
(11-20-2018, 05:04 PM)Dill Wrote: Which one? Why? Dealing with copyright issues?

Two quick takeaways from the Supreme Court’s ruling in a patent case over a Spider-Man toy: Marvel triumphed again, and Justice Elena Kagan must have had fun sneaking superhero references into the official decision.

“[I]n this world, with great power there must also come — great responsibility,” Kagan wrote in Monday’s Kimble vs. Marvel Entertainment decision, explaining why the high court chose not to overrule an older decision that says patent agreements cannot require that royalties keep being paid after the patent expires.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-spider-man-supreme-court-ruling-20150622-htmlstory.html
(11-20-2018, 05:27 PM)samhain Wrote: I have no problem with that argument whatsoever.

Also agree about tattoos.  When I was a kid, they were things that old ex-military dudes had (like my dad and grandpa).  Now they're just random pictures on whoever pays for them.  

Yeah, same when I was a kid. I only ever saw them on ex-military or carnies, or ex cons. Even then they were usually simple--anchors, hearts with a woman's name on them.  Never saw a "sleeve" at all. Unthinkable. You'd NEVER get a job beyond menial.

But now people get tattoos to express themselves, identify with products, tie themselves to an issue, create personal "uniqueness." I don't want to make too much of this because there are still many reasons why people get tattoos, some perfectly innocent, some a drunken mistake (see hangover II), some fitting into a subculture, some just a whimsical butterfly on an ankle.  But many are definitely about publicly projecting a personal identity.

[Image: 2861580600000578-3070446-image-a-6_1430927311937.jpg]
(11-20-2018, 06:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Two quick takeaways from the Supreme Court’s ruling in a patent case over a Spider-Man toy: Marvel triumphed again, and Justice Elena Kagan must have had fun sneaking superhero references into the official decision.

“[I]n this world, with great power there must also come — great responsibility,” Kagan wrote in Monday’s Kimble vs. Marvel Entertainment decision, explaining why the high court chose not to overrule an older decision that says patent agreements cannot require that royalties keep being paid after the patent expires.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-spider-man-supreme-court-ruling-20150622-htmlstory.html

“Patents endow their holders with certain superpowers, but only for a limited time.” Hilarious Hilarious
(11-20-2018, 02:51 PM)Dill Wrote: I think "open" means they want everyone else to see it,not just Maher, in hopes of maybe repairing some damage or at least getting a counter-view of comics in circulation to counter the cultural stereotype of comics as superficial.  a "closed" letter could not do that. I doubt they think they will set Maher straight; he might publicly apologize or, just as likely, publicly double down.  We are the letter's addressee more so than Maher. (lol looks like the strategy backfired in some cases. See post #18 above.)

I can’t imagine why he would apologize. He made some jokes about comic books and their readers. Not exactly a sacred area.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I think Mahr completely misses the impact made by Stan Lee the human being, not the just the comic pioneer. I never met Stan, but many of my friends have. They've stated he was one of the most humble, down to earth people they've ever met. Many stood in line to meet him and said he could never believe people would do so. Stan stated he'd rather go out to dinner with them all, rather than that time be wasted in a line. Another of my friends was on a routine, weekly flight with Stan. Without fail, Stan would speak with a parent and child to see if he could sit with them and draw with the child. Those are examples of what endeared me to the man, the most. I think that conveyed through his art, as well.
Mahr has to do his thing to keep his name in the mouth of the public. I can't blame him for inching his career along.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
The term "kryptonite" is universally understood to mean a persons weakness.

Call me when one of Mahers comments becomes imbedded in our culture like that.