Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Maine Mass Shooting
At least 22 people are dead per Lewiston City officials and 50-60 people have been injured in 2 incidences in Androscoggin County. Maine. Shootings took place at a restaurant and a bowling alley.

The gunman as of yet has not been apprehended however they do have a tentative identification of the shooter at the bowling alley where a children's bowling event was taking place at the time of the shooting.

As you can imagine, Lewiston's medical facilities have been overwhelmed.

The entire county is under lockdown but it is fairly rural so lots of places to hide

When will this type of incident be stopped?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 11:24 PM)pally Wrote: At least 22 people are dead per Lewiston City officials and 50-60 people have been injured in 2 incidences in Androscoggin County. Maine.  Shootings took place at a restaurant and a bowling alley.

The gunman as of yet has not been apprehended however they do have a tentative identification of the shooter at the bowling alley where a children's bowling event was taking place at the time of the shooting.

The entire county is under lockdown but it is fairly rural so lots of places to hide

Sadly never. All it takes is one crazy person with a gun. 

I have no idea the motive, but regardless this can't be accepted.

There is evil all around us, all we can to do is have eyes wide open and help get info to police if we see potential nut jobs.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those impacted.

I hope they find him quickly and hope it never sees a day in court. He needs to meet his maker sooner than later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 11:24 PM)pally Wrote: At least 22 people are dead per Lewiston City officials and 50-60 people have been injured in 2 incidences in Androscoggin County. Maine.  Shootings took place at a restaurant and a bowling alley.

Never. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:27 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sadly never. All it takes is one crazy person with a gun. 

I have no idea the motive, but regardless this can't be accepted.

There is evil all around us, all we can to do is have eyes wide open and help get info to police if we see potential nut jobs.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those impacted.

I hope they find him quickly and hope it never sees a day in court. He needs to meet his maker sooner than later.

What? Guns don't kill people.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
so Robert Card is the "person of interest" in this case. He is a current Army reservist and a certified firearms instructor. The type of person many gun owners would claim was "a good guy with a gun" He spent 2 weeks in a mental health facility over the summer. Maine has no "red flag" laws.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Little closer to home here in CT than I'd care for it to be.

Bummer.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 10:14 AM)pally Wrote: so Robert Card is the "person of interest" in this case.  He is a current Army reservist and a certified firearms instructor.  The type of person many gun owners would claim was "a good guy with a gun"  He spent 2 weeks in a mental health facility over the summer.  Maine has no "red flag" laws.

It appears another case with huge red flags ignored. Obviously this man should have had all his fire arms removed and no access to guns.

I am pro 2nd Amendment, but I think anything should limits, rules and consequences. Maine "no red flag laws is an issue".

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We will, of course, get the usual calls for gun control laws that wouldn't have stopped the incident that spurred them. There will be assumptions made well before all the evidence is available. Maine has a homicide rate far lower than European countries with very strict gun control. As with all freedoms there will be some who abuse them to the detriment of everyone else. Let the politicizing of this event commence.
Reply/Quote
It's reported his condition of mental health included hearing voices. That's not good.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 10:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears another case with huge red flags ignored. Obviously this man should have had all his fire arms removed and no access to guns.

I am pro 2nd Amendment, but I think anything should limits, rules and consequences. Maine "no red flag laws is an issue".

This makes sense, but I'm also sure a lot of people will refuse to trust the fairness and legitimacy of any process by which the government is allowed to seize a citizens firearms and prevent that person from legally owning them.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 11:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This makes sense, but I'm also sure a lot of people will refuse to trust the fairness and legitimacy of any process by which the government is allowed to seize a citizens firearms and prevent that person from legally owning them.

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought many states already have laws that address the removal of firearms due to mental illness.

If not, they should in my humble opinion.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 11:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: This makes sense, but I'm also sure a lot of people will refuse to trust the fairness and legitimacy of any process by which the government is allowed to seize a citizens firearms and prevent that person from legally owning them.

Simply because they would go too far. Background checks and mental health checks are ok with limits. You simply cannot tell someone who has ever battled with depression they cannot own a firearm or even someone who has been arrested for a non-violent crime. You would be banning firearms from most of the country. There are stricter laws preventing someone from holding a TWIC card than a firearm. So yes, more restrictions should be in place within reason. The problem is, that the government has no clue what "within reason" means. 

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 11:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe I am wrong, but I thought many states already have laws that address the removal of firearms due to mental illness.

If not, they should in my humble opinion.

I'm just saying a lot of people don't trust those who are in positions to deem someone mentally ill, particularly when the result of that is granting the federal government the pass to deny a citizen a constitutionally guaranteed right. 

We are in a situation where we hear people equating college education with liberal indoctrination, but then we expect people to accept that these same "medical professionals" with degrees are going to deem if they are fit to have their constitutional rights revoked?  I'm just saying that I can see why this is a hard sell for people, regardless of what I think.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just saying a lot of people don't trust those who are in positions to deem someone mentally ill, particularly when the result of that is granting the federal government the pass to deny a citizen a constitutionally guaranteed right. 

We are in a situation where we hear people equating college education with liberal indoctrination,

Unfortunately not without justification.  When you have far left people like Bill Maher pointing this out then the problem has become obvious.

Quote:but then we expect people to accept that these same "medical professionals" with degrees are going to deem if they are fit to have their constitutional rights revoked?  I'm just saying that I can see why this is a hard sell for people, regardless of what I think.

It would need to be coupled with a due process court proceeding(s), which of course is not exactly a quick process.  There are very likely hundreds of mass shooting prevented by concerned friends and family members who persuade a gun owner to give them their firearms until they are out of crisis.  Of course, we'll never know how many.  We also won't know what could have prevented this particular incident for some time.  What we do know is the pro gun control side will rush to make hay from it, waiting for facts be damned.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 11:30 AM)Goalpost Wrote: It's reported his condition of mental health included hearing voices.  That's not good.

(10-26-2023, 11:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Simply because they would go too far. Background checks and mental health checks are ok with limits. You simply cannot tell someone who has ever battled with depression they cannot own a firearm or even someone who has been arrested for a non-violent crime. You would be banning firearms from most of the country. There are stricter laws preventing someone from holding a TWIC card than a firearm. So yes, more restrictions should be in place within reason. The problem is, that the government has no clue what "within reason" means. 

"Shall not be infringed!"
Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: "Shall not be infringed!"
Mellow

Definitely an appropriate time for low effort sarcasm.  Well done.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Unfortunately not without justification.  When you have far left people like Bill Maher pointing this out then the problem has become obvious.

It would need to be coupled with a due process court proceeding(s), which of course is not exactly a quick process.  There are very likely hundreds of mass shooting prevented by concerned friends and family members who persuade a gun owner to give them their firearms until they are out of crisis.  Of course, we'll never know how many.  We also won't know what could have prevented this particular incident for some time.  What we do know is the pro gun control side will rush to make hay from it, waiting for facts be damned.

Let the pro gun control side scream, it's the price of the 1A for you to have to hear it.

Let's face the crappy facts, Americans are addicted to being pissed off, there is a lot of power and money to be gained from pissing us off, and a lot of people are really into the idea of shooting people for all sorts of reasons. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:13 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Definitely an appropriate time for low effort sarcasm.  Well done.

Well waiting for the cycle of "it's too soon to talk about it, there's nothing we can do about it, why are you talking about it now, another shooting" was getting as boring as this conversation will be by page two.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: "Shall not be infringed!"
Mellow

You joke, but since they can't govern within reason, then yes. Shall not be infringed.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2023, 12:22 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well waiting for the cycle of "it's too soon to talk about it, there's nothing we can do about it, why are you talking about it now, another shooting" was getting as boring as this conversation will be by page two.  Mellow

I have to admit that I'm curious as to why some mass shootings even get their own threads here.  Did we ever have a "MASS SHOOTING MEGATHREAD" or is that too cynical to even imagine?
Reply/Quote