Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make This the Top Post Going into the Holiday!!!! (Must see)
https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/3u1c3t/my_friend_just_watched_wallace_gilberry_from_the/

For those of you unfamiliar with Reddit, just read the title and click the picture at the top.

Pretty cool, huh? The older I get the more I appreciate players like this. Kudos to Mr. Gilberry. It's always amazing to hear stories of goodwill when no attention was expected.

Oh, and since I hardly post in season, and I'm sure you all miss my expertise, I'll just leave with this. I hated that 3rd and 2 call. Did. Not. Like. It. Shocker, huh?

Have a great Thanksgiving, guys!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/3u1c3t/my_friend_just_watched_wallace_gilberry_from_the/

For those of you unfamiliar with Reddit, just read the title and click the picture at the top.

Pretty cool, huh?  The older I get the more I appreciate players like this.  Kudos to Mr. Gilberry.  It's always amazing to hear stories of goodwill when no attention was expected.  

Oh, and since I hardly post in season, and I'm sure you all miss my expertise, I'll just leave with this.  I hated that 3rd and 2 call.  Did. Not. Like. It.  Shocker, huh?

Just got a whole new respect for Wallace. 
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 12:53 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/3u1c3t/my_friend_just_watched_wallace_gilberry_from_the/

Pretty cool, huh?  The older I get the more I appreciate players like this.  Kudos to Mr. Gilberry.  It's always amazing to hear stories of goodwill when no attention was expected.  

Oh, and since I hardly post in season, and I'm sure you all miss my expertise, I'll just leave with this.  I hated that 3rd and 2 call.  Did. Not. Like. It.  Shocker, huh?

Welcome back

I hated the outcome on 3rd and 2, I like being aggressive. Let's be real, if we run and get stopped (likely) as have most of the time on 3rd and 1 or in this case 3rd and 2 and kick the field goal, kick the field goal and end up in OT, but lose in OT the Monday morning QB's would have also trashed playing it safe.

In reality, it is easy to critique anything unsuccessful after the fact and chastise the lack of success.

Have a great Thanksgiving and be safe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 01:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Welcome back

I hated the outcome on 3rd and 2, I like being aggressive. Let's be real, if we run and get stopped (likely) as have most of the time on 3rd and 1 or in this case 3rd and 2 and kick the field goal, kick the field goal and end up in OT, but lose in OT the Monday morning QB's would have also trashed playing it safe.

In reality, it is easy to critique anything unsuccessful after the fact and chastise the lack of success.

Have a great Thanksgiving and be safe.

Honestly, even as the play was happening I hated it regardless of the outcome.  There was simply way too much time on the clock.  Even if they score, which, yeah, would have been great and all, you're still opening up the chance of losing in regulation. 

A minute plus is simply way too much time to leave a team that 1.) is #1 in scoring and #1 in yards. and 2.) has already toasted your defense for 24 second half points.

I honestly would have rather they passed and only picked up the first then scored on that play. (Honest to God)  All because of the time left. 

You run off 30 seconds there they have no chance, a fluke hail mary/lateral/blown coverage of the scoring.  Zero chance of picking enough yards to even attempt a field goal.  The play there is to run down the clock and either hope you pick up the first and/or hope you covert the field goal.

What's the success rate for throws like that down the sideline?  Even with All Pro receivers matched against backup corners?  I'm guessing 50/50 at best.  And probably closer to 30-40%.  Even Tom Brady throwing to Randy Moss, against a scrub is only going to make covert on that about half of the time.

Do you really want to take 50/50 odds to maybe score and still leave the #1 offense in the league over a minute of time to win the game, against an already depleted secondary? 

It makes little sense to me.  Then.  Now. Before. After.  Hypothetically.  People can argue that and that's fair.  But just from my perspective it has nothing to do with hindsight.  It just didn't strike me as a very smart play.  To each their own though.  Lot of worse thing to be discussing than this.  
Reply/Quote
Saw this in the comments:

This from the initial facebook post: "Just watched Wallace Gilberry of the @cincinnati_bengals buy a young family with a bunch of boys a ps4 and bunch of games at target tonight. The kids and dad were going crazy and the mom was in tears. I was big fan of him before but I'm a even bigger fan now. What a stand up dude."

-About a month ago my friends were eating at a sushi place in Cincinnati and Wallace came in and bought everyone in the restaurant a shot of Sake. My kinda guy!

-He's a stand up guy. I worked with the Chiefs while he was there, and he definitely cared about everyone. I worked as an athletic training intern, and he bought the whole training staff these massive cheeseburgers from a local place one night for dinner as a thank you.

-This guy is one of my favorite players, and I'm a Steelers fan. He used to be a backup to Glenn Dorsey on the Chiefs, and I always watched him and thought he should start over him (I live in Missouri). I went to the Chiefs training camp a few times and every single time Wallace Gilberry was one of the friendliest and most generous players on the practice field, and seemed to love putting a smile on the faces of kids.

-My old high school coach use to coach Wallace before he coached us. Some days, Wallace would just show up to help our D Line out (he was out of college at UA and in the NFL at this point I believe). He was always really cool, and he showed us that he really cared by working with us 1 on 1. This right here is not surprising to me; he's an absolutely genuine guy and tries to put a smile on everyone's face. I wish he'd tackle me.
Reply/Quote
A great job by Wallace on this one.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I've liked Gilberry ever since we signed him and like him even more now. What a great guy!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Dingleberry is the man.

He has value on this team big time and I'm glad he didn't try to pull a Collins by bolting to try and be a starter, when it was better for him here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I wish I still had access to the old threads from the previous board.  I have often pointed out what a great career Gilberry had at Alabama, and how it was perplexing that he was not drafted.  I believe he led the Tide in sacks and tackles for loss.

I was thrilled when we signed him off the street.  I am a big SEC fan and I remembered how disruptive he was in college.

I guess he was considered to small fro DT and too slow for DE.  But all he did was make plays.  I'll always give a guy like that a chance.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 12:53 PM)mfredtoast Wrote: I wish I still had access to the old threads from the previous board.  I have often pointed out what a great career Gilberry had at Alabama, and how it was perplexing that he was not drafted.  I believe he led the Tide in sacks and tackles for loss.

I was thrilled when we signed him off the street.  I am a big SEC fan and I remembered how disruptive he was in college.

I guess he was considered to small fro DT and too slow for DE.  But all he did was make plays.  I'll always give a guy like that a chance.

I was also happy about the Gilberry signing, but mainly because of what he accomplished in KC. PFF had a story about Gilberry and how he was the ranked 3rd among 3-4 DE's in their grading system despite being a part time player. They said he'd be a better fit in a 4-3.

I still think Dingle could be a decent starter as long as we still rotated him and kept him fresh. That didn't happen last year. As for the OP, kudos to Wallace for doing a good thing, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone on here.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote