Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make or Break Game for ZT
This is it.  He is facing a Detroit defense where all three starting CBs are UDFAs.  All three.  That means Boyd, Higgins, and Chase will ALL be (attempted, anyways) guarded by UDFAs.

I don't want to hear "well, we tried to establish a rush attack" and explain away the horrible 0-for-the-season on the first drives.  

Come out and attack them.  Go hurry up (Burrow is lethal in two minute drill) from the start of the game.  Get a damn lead and unleash the pass rush on the not-overly-mobile Goff.  Blitz his ass and get some turnovers.  Goff is the fumble king when he gets hit.  Know that and get after his ass. 

This is it, Zac.  You should lose play-calling duties the following week if you can't generate some serious point totals this week.  No more excuses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is it.  He is facing a Detroit defense where all three starting CBs are UDFAs.  All three.  That means Boyd, Higgins, and Chase will ALL be (attempted, anyways) guarded by UDFAs.

I don't want to hear "well, we tried to establish a rush attack" and explain away the horrible 0-for-the-season on the first drives.  

Come out and attack them.  Go hurry up (Burrow is lethal in two minute drill) from the start of the game.  Get a damn lead and unleash the pass rush on the not-overly-mobile Goff.  Blitz his ass and get some turnovers.  Goff is the fumble king when he gets hit.  Know that and get after his ass. 

This is it, Zac.  You should lose play-calling duties the following week if you can't generate some serious point totals this week.  No more excuses.

I'm wondering if there is something in Taylor's contract that guarantees him the right to call plays, because I'd think Mike would have already had this conversation with him and advised him to use Callahan, or at least lean on him more. 
Reply/Quote
But, but, but what if Mixon takes it to the house on the first 3 opening drives? Lions fans will be saying Chase Who? Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Isn’t every week make or break time for ZT? Lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:01 AM)Whacked Wrote: Isn’t every week make or break time for ZT? Lol.

My thoughts too. Every single week is a “test for this team” or “ZTs last chance”… win or lose it’s the same story lol.

If we play someone we perceive as better than the Bengals it’s a true test for the team. If we play someone we perceive as worse then the Bengals then it’s a trap game and a test as to not flop.
Reply/Quote
Zac's thinking, "Run. run, pass, punt all day,,,Run, run, pass, punt all day!"
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:12 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: My thoughts too. Every single week is a “test for this team” or “ZTs last chance”… win or lose it’s the same story lol.

If we play someone we perceive as better than the Bengals it’s a true test for the team. If we play someone we perceive as worse then the Bengals then it’s a trap game and a test as to not flop.

My honest opinion on this game is it could easily go to Detroit. Bengals havent exactly overwhelmed or dominated anyone yet and got lucky in Vikes game and woke up in 2nd half of Jags game .
On the road VS a team hungry for its first win that has hung in games all year is not going to be easy. I hope Burrows voice isnt an issue with hearing the plays and audibles.
Reply/Quote
Fire Zac Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm wondering if there is something in Taylor's contract that guarantees him the right to call plays, because I'd think Mike would have already had this conversation with him and advised him to use Callahan, or at least lean on him more. 

Unlikely.  I just think you could give him year one with no talent and a Ryan Finley three game surrender, and even some of the injuries last year, but this year.....no.  It is time to stop making excuses.  If you are an offensive mind, and you have this roster, you should be able to generate more than the measly point totals we are seeing....especially early in the game.

If they do their usual flat start, Detroit will feed off that and gain some momentum.  The Bengals MUST start fast and MUST put up points against this team today or he should be done as a play caller.  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:01 AM)Whacked Wrote: Isn’t every week make or break time for ZT? Lol.

And so far, he has failed.  Their biggest plays have been Burrow audibles to Chase.  Take those out and there is pure ineptitude.  This Detroit defense has three starting CBs that are all UDFA.  Okudah ripped his achilles early in the year.  If he can't take advantage of this opponent and have a game plan to attack it, he should be done as a play caller.

To the sarcastic "Fire Taylor" crowd (at least I think it is sarcasm), I like the guy as a head coach, but as a play caller, he is awful.  Last chance, and then I will be railing to get that change made.  
Reply/Quote

ZT can't "make" anything with a win over a team like the Lions or Jaguars.

But a loss here would be a huge "break" because of our upcoming schedule.

Bengals still have a winning record so we are not even close to discussions about firing our head coach midseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And so far, he has failed.  Their biggest plays have been Burrow audibles to Chase.  Take those out and there is pure ineptitude.  

The options available on audibles are based on the coaches scheme.

Burrow does not have the ability to audible into any play at any time.  He always has options but they are based on what formation was called and what the defense showed.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 11:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If they do their usual flat start, Detroit will feed off that and gain some momentum.  The Bengals MUST start fast and MUST put up points against this team today or he should be done as a play caller.  

You would love it in the gameday threads.  There is a large crowd there who decide that we are going to lose after the first quarter.  They are often proven wrong, butt hey never learn from their mistakes.

I agree that our offense is underperforming based on th talent we have.  But I am not writing us off just because we start slow.
Reply/Quote
Not sure about make or break at this point but with each loss the pressure surely increases.

As it should.
Reply/Quote
Lions and Jets are the only games on the schedule that should 100% be wins. Fans are expecting those to be wins. Lose either of those and fans start having real doubts again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
As much as I hate to admit it, that is a rationale point.

No one is getting canned at 4-2……or heck ….3-3

……or sadly in Bengal-land ….3-14

(10-17-2021, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: ZT can't "make" anything with a win over a team like the Lions or Jaguars.

But a loss hear would be a huge "break" because of our upcoming schedule.

Bengals still have a winning record so we are not even close to discussions about firing our head coach midseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 10:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is it.  He is facing a Detroit defense where all three starting CBs are UDFAs.  All three.  That means Boyd, Higgins, and Chase will ALL be (attempted, anyways) guarded by UDFAs.

I agree 100% with you but Mike Brown won’t do a damn thing even if we go there and lose 31-3. That’s the sad reality we deal with as Bengal fans. And he groomed his daughter to pick up where he’s left off.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not calling the OP dumb, but this is a dumb take. The wins and losses are all that matters, not the stats of the game. This is a NFC opponent, so it has minimal impact on tie breaker (common opponents only). Now if we were on a 3 game slide with the chance to rebound against a win less team, that might be a little different. But win or lose, this game will have zero impact on Taylor's future. Especially when he has a 2 game winning streak against Pittsburgh. Mikey is probably working on a 10 year extension as a result of that last bit alone.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 12:18 PM)Whacked Wrote: As much as I hate to admit it, that is a rationale point.

No one is getting canned at 4-2……or heck ….3-3

……or sadly in Bengal-land ….3-14

Ken Zampese and Teryl Austin disagree.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2021, 12:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree 100% with you but Mike Brown won’t do a damn thing even if we go there and lose 31-3. That’s the sad reality we deal with as Bengal fans. And he groomed his daughter to pick up where he’s left off.  

We have recently taken the extreme measures of firing our co-ordinators midseason.

I don't think ZT is close to being fired since he still has a winning record, but don't act like our front office never does anything to shake stuff up in the middle of the season.
Reply/Quote