Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make your AJ Green HOF Case Here
(03-26-2019, 01:40 PM)McC Wrote: It's just so hard to tell with the NFL HOF.  Guys not in with better numbers than guys who are.  Lynn Swann in and Isaac Curtis, with better stats all the way across the board, not even a sniff.  Kurt Warner in, Kenny Anderson not.  Is it strictly SB wins?  Is it statistical? Is it public acclaim?  

So, what exactly are the parameters?

There aren't any, and that's why I think A.J. gets in. Squeaky clean off the field, generally friendly in media interviews, respected across the country. Those should be enough to get him in if he can stay mostly healthy from here on out.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:57 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: No Geno Atkins on you list? He'd be the most likely Bengal currently on the roster to make the HoF imo as his numbers compare favorably to his peers during his time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sure, but after Anderson and Riley.

edit:
also Curtis - forgot about Curtis - definitely on the cusp

Reply/Quote
Just to compare AJ to the top wrs that have been playing as long hes been in the league.

Name rec yards avg tds games played

Dez Bryant, 531, 7459, 14.0, 73, 113

Julio Jones, 698, 10731, 15.4, 51, 111

AJ Green, 602, 8907, 14.8, 63, 111

AB, 837, 11207, 13.4, 74, 130

Jordy Nelson, 613, 8587, 11.7, 72, 151

Fitzgerald, 1303, 16279, 12.5, 116, 234

Fitz might not be a fair comparison but hes been playing during the entire time. Sorry if the format gets all messed up as this is from my phone. Hope it looks ok on PC screens.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There isn't a guy on the Bengals that will get into the Hall of Fame.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: The "impact" comment is over played. Barry Sanders had one playoff win, OJ Simpson had no playoff wins. While those are running backs and not WR's the point everyone likes to make about playoff success isn't really true outside of QB's. What will work against him is the era he is playing in with a lot of really good WR's.

It's not that you need playoff success, but you kinda do if you played in an unpopular spot like Cincy and didn't post amazing career stats. 

(03-26-2019, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not as rare as you think.  There have been 15 WRs who had over 7000 receiving yards after the age of 30.

And right now Green is 6th all time in NFL history in receiving yards per game.  So if he stays healthy he has a shot.

But WR numbers have been inflated over the last few years, and he has had no postseason success.  So I think it will be a long shot for him to make it.

15 seems pretty rare, Fred. How many receivers had 8,000+ yards at age 30-31? Then you could see how rare that 15 number is. 

Btw, this site lists 12 guys over 7,000 yards: https://www.sporcle.com/games/hscer/nfl-most-yards-after-age-30-leaders

...and of course, we'd be comparing AJ Green to guys that stayed healthy and consistent.

AJ has missed 16 games in 5 years. That's not going to get better as he ages.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 05:44 PM)jason Wrote: There isn't a guy on the Bengals that will get into the Hall of Fame.

Geno Atkins will have a HOF worthy resume if he keeps it going for a couple more years. He already has stats comparable to HOF defensive tackles. That said, there is no one else worthy, and even Atkins will probably struggle due to his low profile and lack of team success. A Bengal has to knock it out of the park ala Munoz.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I was thinking AJ Green would be a lock for the HOF...then recently I just happened to look at his numbers and I'm not so sure:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeA.00.htm

Mine would likely revolve around his number of Pro Bowl selections and having 1000+ yards receiving in 6 of 7 years.

What is your case for him making the HOF?

Without a ring, he would need to double his current stats. Or at the very least, go 1,000 catches and 15,000 yds.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 15 seems pretty rare, Fred. How many receivers had 8,000+ yards at age 30-31? Then you could see how rare that 15 number is. 

Green is 16th in yards receiving before 30.  So he is a rare player already.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Green is 16th in yards receiving before 30.  So he is a rare player already.

But as we all know, being a good athlete doesn't mean you will age well. 

Just look how fast Andre Johnson fell off, and that's just one example of many. A good one though, because Andre reminds me of AJ in a lot of ways. 

Maybe AJ can have Fitzgerald/Rice longevity. We'll see. He'll need it if he wants to reach the HOF.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 05:19 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Just to compare AJ to the top wrs that have been playing as long hes been in the league.

Name  rec  yards  avg  tds  games played

Dez Bryant, 531, 7459, 14.0, 73, 113 - Romo

Julio Jones, 698, 10731, 15.4, 51, 111 - Ryan

AJ Green, 602, 8907, 14.8, 63, 111 - Dalton

AB, 837, 11207, 13.4, 74, 130 - Roethlisberger

Jordy Nelson, 613, 8587, 11.7, 72, 151 - Rodgers

Fitzgerald, 1303, 16279, 12.5, 116, 234 - Palmer, Warner, Bradford, Leinart, did i forget anyone

Fitz might not be a fair comparison but hes been playing during the entire time. Sorry if the format gets all messed up as this is from my phone. Hope it looks ok on PC screens.

Considering Dalton has never been considered "elite"...

Reply/Quote
Crazy thing about fitz is only 67 of those tds are from Warner and palmer. Not sure about the yards and catches. Hes only had a competent qb for half of his career.

Well if AJ can extend his career to fitz length thatd do it. Also all the other wrs come.from teams that have/had a more offensive minded approach to the game.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 07:19 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Considering Dalton has never been considered "elite"...

I like Andy Dalton, I always have, but yeah compared to most of those guys, he doesn't hold a candle, not to mention several of them are from offenses that actually like to move the ball and score, that stopped for us after 2015

Reply/Quote
He doesn't have what it takes for the Hall. By the time he does, the bar would be even higher in the pass friendly league. Bengals Ring of Honor ( whenever that happens ) for sure, but not the NFL Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote
AJ's path to the HoF is easy if he wants to take it - he'll play out his contract here, go to New England for a couple of years, put up two 1000 yard seasons, and walk right on in.

Call it the Corey Dillon approach... and yes I know Corey's not in yet, but I bet he makes it.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 07:19 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Considering Dalton has never been considered "elite"...

Fitz' QB's were definitely worse.

Half his career has been spent with guys like McCown, Leinart, Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton and Josh Rosen as his leading passer.
Reply/Quote
I love AJ, him and Chad are my favorite Bengals ever, but he’s not going to make the HoF.

Geno is probably our best shot a getting a LONG overdue second player in Canton.

Reply/Quote