Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Making the playoffs with 10 or fewer wins
(05-23-2022, 10:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wouldn't that make it easier to get with/under 10 wins? All of the AFC teams are going to beat up on each other. No team is going to have a ton of wins. 

No cause all the tie breakers at that point take it out of your hands. (imo)
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 10:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They may not know the numbers, but I guarantee that a big reason we are not considered a "powerhouse" by many experts is that we were just 10-7 last year.

Bengal fans do the exact same thing with other teams.  If a perennial loser squeaks into the playoffs they don't get a lot of respect the next season until they prove they can win more consistently.

Yeah I can kind of see that. I do think there are things that make this team different than a lot of those "one hit wonders", though. 

How young this team is, retainment of coaches, upgrading the weakest part of the roster, not losing any key players, etc. 

This team improved through the entire year last year. They weren't the same team the last game of the season than the first week, not even close. That's why I think all of the pundits will get it wrong. They are casuals. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: They still had their offensive line, two good backs, and their premier pass rushers, right?  A healthy Keenum was probably a wash vs. a beat-up Baker.  

They won by I think 5 points against virtually all backups.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 10:33 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah I can kind of see that. I do think there are things that make this team different than a lot of those "one hit wonders", though. 

How young this team is, retainment of coaches, upgrading the weakest part of the roster, not losing any key players, etc. 

This team improved through the entire year last year. They weren't the same team the last game of the season than the first week, not even close. That's why I think all of the pundits will get it wrong. They are casuals. 

The reason we don’t get any respect? Of course our franchise recent history. Our coach is not well known and still inexperienced. But by the same token it’s unwarranted. We have a big time QB, ROY, and other stars. But it’s going to take at least a late run in 2022 into the playoffs minimum to get some. Teams with coaches like Andy Reid ( Taylor and Lou schooled him twice), John Harbaugh ( Taylor has as many SB trips) Mike Tomlin ( Taylor whooped him twice this year and has won 3 straight) and others give teams instant credibility. It is what it is. Some get it. If you polled the top 20 NFL media people we’d do better than the top 100.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 02:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  Teams with coaches like Andy Reid (Taylor and Lou schooled him twice),

I would not call it getting "schooled" when you lose twice on last second FGs.

Our first win required converting a 3rd and 27.  Over the last 5 seasons teams are just 4 for 153 converting 3rd and 27 or longer.  So there was a big element of luck in that win.

Andy Reid has won .633% of his regular season games.  He has won 19 postseason games including 3 Conference Championships and a Super Bowl.  Taylor is not even close to Reid in coaching excellence.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not call it getting "schooled" when you lose twice on last second FGs.

Our first win required converting a 3rd and 27.  Over the last 5 seasons teams are just 4 for 153 converting 3rd and 27 or longer.  So there was a big element of luck in that win.

Andy Reid has won .633% of his regular season games.  He has won 19 postseason games including 3 Conference Championships and a Super Bowl.  Taylor is not even close to Reid in coaching excellence.

Of course Taylor isn’t in Reid’s realm. But they out coached him in both losses. The defense limited them to hardly any points in both second halves and the offenses responded. Facts only Fred
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 03:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would not call it getting "schooled" when you lose twice on last second FGs.

Taylor at 39 vanquishes Andy
Reply/Quote