Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik Jefferson
I didn't remember reading about this, but found it interesting.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/breaking-news/injured-linebacker-sues-two-british-insurers-for-denying-claim-163502.aspx

Jefferson has been "the forgotten man" thus far as we saw Nickerson get over 500 more snaps than him last year (Jefferson only got something like 11 snaps on plays other than special teams), despite Nickerson redefining the term "sucks ass".

Jefferson was listed as a backup WILL last year, to Jordan Evans. Right now, I would think that the depth chart at WILL would be: Pratt, followed by Evans.

Based on what Jefferson did at Texas, does anyone think he should be playing more of a MIKE role? Possibly backing up Brown?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 07:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't remember reading about this, but found it interesting.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/breaking-news/injured-linebacker-sues-two-british-insurers-for-denying-claim-163502.aspx

Jefferson has been "the forgotten man" thus far as we saw Nickerson get over 500 more snaps than him last year (Jefferson only got something like 11 snaps on plays other than special teams), despite Nickerson redefining the term "sucks ass".

Jefferson was listed as a backup WILL last year, to Jordan Evans.  Right now, I would think that the depth chart at WILL would be:  Pratt, followed by Evans.  

Based on what Jefferson did at Texas, does anyone think he should be playing more of a MIKE role?  Possibly backing up Brown?
I thought maybe Haslett and Lewis were the problem with his development but maybe it is a attitude problem with Jefferson. Disgruntled employees would cut off their nose to spite their face.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 07:52 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I thought maybe Haslett and Lewis were the problem with his development but maybe it is a attitude problem with Jefferson. Disgruntled employees would cut off their nose to spite their face.

Jefferson was a prospect when he was drafted, and having Haslett as a LB coach did not do him any favors. That said, if he's disgruntled, it would be towards the insurance companies, nothing the Bengals did....
Reply/Quote
I don't really see Jefferson playing any other position besides WILL given his skill set.
Evans is there too, and Pratt might be as well. Pratt also could play some SAM though. I think Davis is the backup MIKE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I get people wanting to bash Haslett...and it's probably valid...but Vigil developed from Year 1 to Year 2. He went from a Bad LB to below average to average at the start of the year.

At some point, the players are accountable for growth too.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I get people wanting to bash Haslett...and it's probably valid...but Vigil developed from Year 1 to Year 2. He went from a Bad LB to below average to average at the start of the year.

At some point, the players are accountable for growth too.

While at some point in his career he may have been a good coach he came to the Bengals as a complete hack. Its the coach's job to rend as much production out of his players. You cite Vigil, but do you think Evans , Rey, Nickerson or even Burfict were even remotely better after he came here.
Reply/Quote
...or maybe our linebackers are just horrible and no coach could fix that? As has been pointed out, the scheme itself was complex for the sake of being complex that led to some uncertainty but poor tackling for example isn't something coaches just magically fix. A bad tackler is probably always going to be a bad tackler. You may see slight improvements but not the complete 180's I think some here expect out of "coaching them up".
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 07:52 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I thought maybe Haslett and Lewis were the problem with his development but maybe it is a attitude problem with Jefferson. Disgruntled employees would cut off their nose to spite their face.

It's the simple fact that Jefferson really isn't very good. Go to youtube and watch any of his game tapes. Not highlights but the full games. 

He gets blocked completely out of plays way too easy, missed tackles, missed sacks, no rush to get to the ball carrier. 

He's just bad.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's the simple fact that Jefferson really isn't very good. Go to youtube and watch any of his game tapes. Not highlights but the full games. 

He gets blocked completely out of plays way too easy, missed tackles, missed sacks, no rush to get to the ball carrier. 

He's just bad.

Exactly. There’s a reason he didn’t play over Nickerson. Nickerson was better than him. Just think about what has to be wrong with Malik in order for Nickerson to be a better option.

He’s not good. He could develop, but he is not a good backer right now. Or, as of 2018.
Reply/Quote
He, like every other player, needs to be used in the best spot for his skills.

If he's so athletic, then just put him on the field on 3rd downs and tell him to either cover the RB or TE. he should at least be able to do that.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's the simple fact that Jefferson really isn't very good. Go to youtube and watch any of his game tapes. Not highlights but the full games. 

He's just bad.

was drafted for athletic potential as he has that...

Some guys take longer to learn that others   his lease is getting shorter though I have to imagine.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 10:16 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: While at some point in his career he may have been a good coach he came to the Bengals as a complete hack. Its the coach's job to rend as much production out of his players. You cite Vigil, but do you think Evans , Rey, Nickerson or even Burfict were even remotely better after he came here.

I don't remember why, but I recall his reputation was tarnished before he got here too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 07:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't remember reading about this, but found it interesting.

Jefferson was listed as a backup WILL last year, to Jordan Evans. Right now, I would think that the depth chart at WILL would be: Pratt, followed by Evans.

Based on what Jefferson did at Texas, does anyone think he should be playing more of a MIKE role? Possibly backing up Brown?

We have always needed a SAM backer man. I am hoping Pratt can fill that role cause we have always had PLENTY of WILL backers.

Malik only getting that many snaps with Nickerson sucking so bad is eye opening to say the least either with Malik's play or the coaches judgment. Malik is athletically gifted but the mental part of his game was always the reason he fell to the 3rd.

This guy needs to study and learn to diagnose plays, also needs to get better at shedding blocks and taking good angles. Malik has a lot of work to do as do most of our backers but i am just so happy we got a new LB coach in Tem and brought in Pratt. Davis is the exact opposite of Malik Jefferson, he is not athletically gifted but has good instincts, takes good angles and is a great tackler.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 11:46 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Exactly. There’s a reason he didn’t play over Nickerson. Nickerson was better than him. Just think about what has to be wrong with Malik in order for Nickerson to be a better option.

He’s not good. He could develop, but he is not a good backer right now. Or, as of 2018.

It's kind of like John Ross where people assumed Ross was really good and Marvin just wasn't putting him on the field. Then, he saw the field...and we saw that he was lost out there.
Reply/Quote
I just think that IF we think the reason that these players aren't good is 100% on coaching that we're going to end up disappointed in many cases.

We saw that last year. 2 years ago people thought Guenther was the problem. We get rid of him and the defense is way worse.

Same with Alexander. We bring Pollack in, add Glenn and Price...and the line improved some, but was still bad overall.

There needs to be accountability on BOTH players and coaches to perform.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I read somewhere that he really struggled to understand the play book and couldn't figure out the plays. A bit like they said with Ross in his first year
Reply/Quote
From what I remember about Jefferson, he plays like an in-the-box SS but is slower than a safety. Jefferson has straight line speed but cannot disengage blockers. Needs to be kept clean and needs specific assignments.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:42 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: From what I remember about Jefferson, he plays like an in-the-box SS but is slower than a safety. Jefferson has straight line speed but cannot disengage blockers. Needs to be kept clean and needs specific assignments.

There are definately assignments where we can use him.

Bottom line Malik needs to really work on his hands in disengaging like you said. This can be learned.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 01:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: There are definately assignments where we can use him.

Bottom line Malik needs to really work on his hands in disengaging like you said. This can be learned.

Jefferson would be ideal for spying on QB.   He could run them down.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
We've been pretty terrible at drafting LB's:

2018 Malik Jefferson
2017 Jordan Evans
2016 Nick Vigil
2015 Paul Dawson