Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik Jefferson
(05-04-2019, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The flambouyancy also doesn't help him.

He is called "Swag" for a reason.  But I will tell you this, the kid is a good guy from what I can tell, his heart is in the right place.  DBs have to have attitude and short memory.

Fans seem to have attitude and LONG memory.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 03:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: There are still people who consider Kirkpatrick a bust.  I think there is a lot of unfounded hate for the guy because partly, he drops passes.  

What many don't understand is that there are a reason that a team has WRs and CBs. If they have that sure of hands then they are generally WRs. Kirkpatrick has actually done a pretty darn good job the last few seasons.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 04:22 PM)OSUfan Wrote: What many don't understand is that there are a reason that a team has WRs and CBs. If they have that sure of hands then they are generally WRs. Kirkpatrick has actually done a pretty darn good job the last few seasons.

better than some give credit
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Dennard has something like 3 interceptions in 5 years. Kirkpatrick has the best hands of any CB on the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 02:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Brown has nothing to do with anything, but lets hope that Ross can figure out his problems.

Taylor mentioned that he studied what the last coaching staff did with Ross in the red zone. The TDs are a definite plus though.

I actually think Antonio Brown's performance this year will be relevant.  The steelers were always known for their defense in the past, but of late, it has been an explosive offense that has made them competitive.  From Arians, to Haley, to Fichtner (and I so bad wanted to spell that with a Sp instead of an F) they have had a great rushing attack and weapons all around.  

Brown was the beneficiary of several things in pitt: 

-  A rushing attack teams had to account for in their scheme.  
-  Weapons at WR, TE, and RB that could draw coverage as well
-  An offensive line that was allowed to hold (sorry, it is a fact, not a theory) and let Piggy hold on to the ball so long, creating too much time for any DB.
-  An attacking scheme that featured him.

In Oakland, I will be willing to wager that even though he will be their clear #1 WR, that he will have a very pedestrian year.

What does this have to do with Ross?  Well, I was pointing out the weapons in pitt, but more the scheme.  I think with a strong OC and the added improvements to the offensive line, a few more weapons, and a focus on rushing the ball it could open up more plays for Ross.  You might ask how a focus on running the ball will benefit Ross, but it forces defenses to bring a safety up to help stop the run and that creates more opportunities down the field.  

I am VERY excited to see Ross and Gio get a shot with a real OC and be used in a more creative fashion than Ross running verticals (except in the red zone) and Gio coming in on 3rd and long, getting a dump pass as he is stationary with his back to the defense, and getting blown up.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 10:16 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: While at some point in his career he may have been a good coach he came to the Bengals as a complete hack. Its the coach's job to rend as much production out of his players. You cite Vigil, but do you think Evans , Rey, Nickerson or even Burfict were even remotely better after he came here.
Burfict is a head case Nickerson is just plain bad nothing will change that Rey is a 30 year old back up that never could win a starting job without someone getting injured. Evans is not as bad as most make him out to be maybe not a starter but could be a solid back up for depth. The issue is we have not picked decent linebackers since Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons. We pick some guys that could play on the field but they had so many issues off the field it ruined their career. Duffner was a big reason we got Takeo and Simmons lets hope we start bringing in better backers with better character which changes our LB core for the better.
Reply/Quote
Marvin only ever drafted 2 LBs who had real legit talent and readiness. Thurman and Pollack. Obviously they were both travesties and it seemed like Marvin only drafted project after project at LB after that.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 12:22 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Marvin only ever drafted 2 LBs who had real legit talent and readiness. Thurman and Pollack. Obviously they were both travesties and it seemed like Marvin only drafted project after project at LB after that.

Interesting you point out ML drafted all of the LB's. It appears some always point to ML in charge of draft (GM) and being head coach when it does not pan out well.

If so he also drafted Green, Dalton, Mixon, Geno, Dunlap and others. But, I will go with Tobin now and MB and FO in past had more to do with any one player being drafted than ML. I think ML and now Zac and coaches give input, but do not make final call.

Tomlin, Harbaugh also do not draft players, they haver GM's paid to do it. The Pats are one of the few teams the HC controls the draft and roster from A-Z, BB earned that right.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 07:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I actually think Antonio Brown's performance this year will be relevant.  The steelers were always known for their defense in the past, but of late, it has been an explosive offense that has made them competitive.  From Arians, to Haley, to Fichtner (and I so bad wanted to spell that with a Sp instead of an F) they have had a great rushing attack and weapons all around.  

Brown was the beneficiary of several things in pitt: 

-  A rushing attack teams had to account for in their scheme.  
-  Weapons at WR, TE, and RB that could draw coverage as well
-  An offensive line that was allowed to hold (sorry, it is a fact, not a theory) and let Piggy hold on to the ball so long, creating too much time for any DB.
-  An attacking scheme that featured him.

In Oakland, I will be willing to wager that even though he will be their clear #1 WR, that he will have a very pedestrian year.

What does this have to do with Ross?  Well, I was pointing out the weapons in pitt, but more the scheme.  I think with a strong OC and the added improvements to the offensive line, a few more weapons, and a focus on rushing the ball it could open up more plays for Ross.  You might ask how a focus on running the ball will benefit Ross, but it forces defenses to bring a safety up to help stop the run and that creates more opportunities down the field.  

I am VERY excited to see Ross and Gio get a shot with a real OC and be used in a more creative fashion than Ross running verticals (except in the red zone) and Gio coming in on 3rd and long, getting a dump pass as he is stationary with his back to the defense, and getting blown up.  

You forgot blatant pick plays in Brown's column.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 08:09 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Burfict is a head case Nickerson is just plain bad nothing will change that Rey is a 30 year old back up that never could win a starting job without someone getting injured. Evans is not as bad as most make him out to be maybe not a starter but could be a solid back up for depth. The issue is we have not picked decent linebackers since Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons. We pick some guys that could play on the field but they had so many issues off the field it ruined their career. Duffner was a big reason we got Takeo and Simmons lets hope we start bringing in better backers with better character which changes our LB core for the better.

Like Germaine Pratt?
Reply/Quote
Me like Malik.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Like Germaine Pratt?
I like both of the LB we got in the draft this year lets see how they do in the future but seem to have two good character guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 12:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting you point out ML drafted all of the LB's. It appears some always point to ML in charge of draft (GM) and being head coach when it does not pan out well.

If so he also drafted Green, Dalton, Mixon, Geno, Dunlap and others. But, I will go with Tobin now and MB and FO in past had more to do with any one player being drafted than ML. I think ML and now Zac and coaches give input, but do not make final call.

Tomlin, Harbaugh also do not draft players, they haver GM's paid to do it. The Pats are one of the few teams the HC controls the draft and roster from A-Z, BB earned that right.
Marvin coached LB in the past he was a LB when he played. He was one of best DC when we picked him up as a HC so he would have great weight in picking LB we got while he was here. Not saying it was only him picking them but if you look at all the bad character guys we got over the years it was certainly a trend around here. In Marvs defense he was not handed as good of a team as Zach was handed and they might of had to reach some or bring in guys with question marks to help build the team cause he had way more holes to fill when he took over.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 02:19 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Marvin coached LB in the past he was a LB when he played. He was one of best DC when we picked him up as a HC so he would have great weight in picking LB we got while he was here. Not saying it was only him picking them but if you look at all the bad character guys we got over the years it was certainly a trend around here. In Marvs defense he was not handed as good of a team as Zach was handed and they might of had to reach some or bring in guys with question marks to help build the team cause he had way more holes to fill when he took over.

I’ll give you that. Merv built a pretty good team.

Reply/Quote
I am hoping to see Malik on the field this season... I wonder if we will ever know why Marvin benched draft picks for years after he picked them to play? Players need experience, players will make mistakes (they're rookies)...
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 02:13 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I like both of the LB we got in the draft this year lets see how they do in the future but seem to have two good character guys.

Agree with you, Pratt was my 2nd favorite LB in this draft and the more i watch of him the more i could argue for him over White.

He is a better tackler then Devin White and Devin Bush, he is great in coverage, can cover Wideouts, let alone RB's and TE's. He is also a decent blitzer, the guy can do it all and still has a very high ceiling.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 10:09 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with you, Pratt was my 2nd favorite LB in this draft and the more i watch of him the more i could argue for him over White.

He is a better tackler then Devin White and Devin Bush, he is great in coverage, can cover Wideouts, let alone RB's and TE's. He is also a decent blitzer, the guy can do it all and still has a very high ceiling.

Pratt really seems to fit the bill on just about exactly what we need right now at LB.

The other night I decided to do some homework on Deshaun Davis. I cant believe this kid slid, despite his 5'11" height... He was very very productive, and the leader from the day he stepped on he field. Really excited about him and it wont suprise me if both of these kids play a lot this season. They have a little series on youtube about him and its worth watching.

Reply/Quote