Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik done
(08-31-2019, 10:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Did he develop yes or no?

If you look at his stats, his best 3 years were also his 1st ones.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:04 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watch Malik end up on the PS.

Isn't he basically a rookie?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:05 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Isn't he basically a rookie?

Mentally apparently. Can't learn the system and no instincts.

Couldn't grasp the complexities of special teams apparently too.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Ross Rule.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some of you were all like 'Malik will be good this year and make our LB's better'. Then we drafted Pratt and he became your hope.

Not even Fred could defend this guy
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Did he develop yes or no?

Not really? He had the obvious talent from the get go. His issues were his brain being wired wrong (on the field).

He produced from the very beginning. 

Marv took a chance on him and kind of "hit", but his talent and production weren't in question. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 10:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Mentally apparently. Can't learn the system and no instincts.

Couldn't grasp the complexities of special teams apparently too.  Hilarious

Why do people keep thinking he just "can't get it mentally"? Has that been stated or implied by anyone with the Bengals?

The guy just simply isn't a good NFL LBer. He can be athletic, understand where he should be on a given play and just not be good at getting his job done. 

I've watched several videos (all snaps on defense while at Texas) of his and he's just too easy to block and doesn't always give a full effort. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 02:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not really? He had the obvious talent from the get go. His issues were his brain being wired wrong (on the field).

He produced from the very beginning. 

Marv took a chance on him and kind of "hit", but his talent and production weren't in question. 

Wrong
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 02:47 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Wrong

How so?

Reply/Quote

(09-01-2019, 01:03 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ross Rule.

He's basically a baby!

[Image: little-man-o.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:27 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: So Vontaz wasn't good? Anyways why are you blaming Marvin when Duke has had  control over the draft for years? Also I would say Vigil is better than most think but that's another discussion.

Vontaze was a first round talent that went undrafted because he had a ton of red flags that teams were convinced would continue into the NFL.

And they were right.

He was good for a few years though, when he wasn't concussed or suspended.

And if you want to blame Duke, that's fine too. The point is, under the previous head coach, we couldn't draft linebackers for shit.

Hopefully this coaching group has a little bit more say (if your assertion that Marvin had very little to do with who is drafting is true) and sway over who is selected and they choose good players.

And Vigil...is fine. He's good enough to start. But he's not an impact player by any means nor is he a particularly talented player athletically.
We'll see how he does this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: In Marvin's time as a head coach, he drafted 16 linebackers (not including Ahmad Brooks who basically didn't play for us, but for the 49ers).

Between those 16 players, there was a total of 562 games played, 2051 tackles, 24.5 sacks, 69 Pass Defenses, 17 interceptions and 24 forced fumbles.

Since Maualuga was drafted in 2009, there have been 8 linebackers drafted. 178 GP, 376 tackles, 7 sacks, 18 PD, 2 INT, 3 FF.

Among those 8, 6 have been 3rd or 4th round picks. 5 of those 6 have fewer than 20 career tackles.
Roddrick Muckelroy, Dontay Moch, Sean Porter, Paul Dawson, Malik Jefferson.

The only even remotely successful picks have been Nick Vigil and Jordan Evans, who are good enough to make the roster but not exactly be...good players.

Early on, he had a few good picks that just had unfortunate results, David Pollack, Odell Thurman and Keith Rivers. And 2 picks most people would call "quality selections" in Landon Johnson and Rey Maualuga. It was all downhill from there though.

Suffice it to say, Marvin Lewis could not draft and develop a linebacker to save his ***** life. Hopefully, this coaching staff is different. They have their first chance with Germaine Pratt.

And the funny thing is Marv considered himself quite the LBer whisperer. Remember back several years ago when they questioned Marv about Maualuga during that presser, (Maualaga had several bad games to start that season) and Marvin got fired up ! "nobody is gonna tell me how to play LBer"
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 02:06 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Why do people keep thinking he just "can't get it mentally"? Has that been stated or implied by anyone with the Bengals?

The guy just simply isn't a good NFL LBer. He can be athletic, understand where he should be on a given play and just not be good at getting his job done. 

I've watched several videos (all snaps on defense while at Texas) of his and he's just too easy to block and doesn't always give a full effort. 

It has been stated that he couldn't pick up special teams by Simmons I believe. It's also been stated that in college he played in a very simple system where they basically had him run in 1 direction.

Athletically, he is a monster. 

But like you said, that doesn't translate if you don't know how to read plays or where to go.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 09:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some of you were all like 'Malik will be good this year and make our LB's better'. Then we drafted Pratt and he became your hope.

Hope is trying at times but Pratt is completely different than Malik.

Pratt is polished as a rookie, everyone knew Malik would take time and it would take a lot of coaching.

Guess our coaches sucked or he was uncoachable.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hope is trying at times but Pratt is completely different than Malik.

Pratt is polished as a rookie, everyone knew Malik would take time and it would take a lot of coaching.

Guess our coaches sucked or he was uncoachable.

Reading Jefferson's scouting profile on NFL.com...this was all predictable.

You have to wonder if our lack of scouts leads to us taking these freak athletes with no game instincts.
Reply/Quote
The kid left with class

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:27 PM)pally Wrote: The kid left with class

Sure did. Good man, too bad you became a Stain. Mellow
Reply/Quote
No more Malik Jefferson, no more Hardy Nickerson.

If we can scrub the roster of Jordan Evans, our terrible LB core of last year will be more of a distant memory.

I like what Zac is doing, even if he hasn't gotten anyone to actually replace them lol.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 04:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No more Malik Jefferson, no more Hardy Nickerson.

If we can scrub the roster of Jordan Evans, our terrible LB core of last year will be more of a distant memory.

I like what Zac is doing, even if he hasn't gotten anyone to actually replace them lol.

Evans is safe. We need some depth at LB. we currently only have 4.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 04:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No more Malik Jefferson, no more Hardy Nickerson.

Jordan is going into his 3rd season and had a solid preseason. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that he takes that next step in his development.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote