Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malware on Here
Every time I go to reply to someone, or post a thread, my Avast pops up a signal that it has blocked some kind of Malware from this site. It says it is some kind of image. Is it an ad from your hosting company? The other forum I normally go to is down and I'm not sure if it is coming back up, and I had remembered I signed up for this forum a long time ago so I came back here. I'd hate to have to quit coming here because I get a virus. Anyone have an idea what's going on? I tried to take a screen shot of it, but it isn't actually on the "screen" but on my desktop I guess so it doesn't show up.
Reply/Quote
My guess is that your antivirus is probably detecting some type of tracking metric by a data company (practically impossible to avoid without specific countermeasures. It is on almost all sites). If you use Firefox or Chrome I suggest looking into an addon called Adblock as well as Ghostery.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 03:46 PM)Lewdog Wrote: Every time I go to reply to someone, or post a thread, my Avast pops up a signal that it has blocked some kind of Malware from this site.  It says it is some kind of image.  Is it an ad from your hosting company?  The other forum I normally go to is down and I'm not sure if it is coming back up, and I had remembered I signed up for this forum a long time ago so I came back here.  I'd hate to have to quit coming here because I get a virus.  Anyone have an idea what's going on?  I tried to take a screen shot of it, but it isn't actually on the "screen" but on my desktop I guess so it doesn't show up.

You can simply add this site to the 'exception' list in Avast and it will take care of the issue.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 04:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: You can simply add this site to the 'exception' list in Avast and it will take care of the issue.

But is it some kind of third party ad trying to get my information?  What kind of Malware is it?  Or what is it that my Avast is viewing as Malware?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 04:38 PM)Lewdog Wrote: But is it some kind of third party ad trying to get my information?  What kind of Malware is it?  Or what is it that my Avast is viewing as Malware?

It's a compatibility issue with Avast and MyBB. Avast isn't as advanced an anti-virus as AVG, Panda, etc...and is far and away the leader in false flagging. 

You won't get a virus, malware infection on anything of the sort from using our site. We use things basic cookies and GeoTracking (that every site uses), but we don't use any type of adware at all.

Just a friendly piece of advice for general internet browsing...if you're only using Avast (an inferior protection IHMO), I would strongly advise Malwarebytes as well. It will help to clean up everything that Avast doesn't catch and you won't even realize is on your computer (registry, temp files, etc).
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 04:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's a compatibility issue with Avast and MyBB. Avast isn't as advanced an anti-virus as AVG, Panda, etc...and is far and away the leader in false flagging. 

You won't get a virus, malware infection on anything of the sort from using our site. We use things basic cookies and GeoTracking (that every site uses), but we don't use any type of adware at all.

Just a friendly piece of advice for general internet browsing...if you're only using Avast (an inferior protection IHMO), I would strongly advise Malwarebytes as well. It will help to clean up everything that Avast doesn't catch and you won't even realize is on your computer (registry, temp files, etc).

Well I also use the Windows Defender and I have Malwarebytes too.  I've just not had an issue with Avast flagging many sites until now.
Reply/Quote
I use a combo of Avast, Adware, and Malwarebytes. Also use Hitman on start ups. But I have been thinking about giving AVG a try. I've never heard of Panda.

I get the warnings too. But I haven't worried about it. If the software is telling me that it is blocking a virus, that's a good thing (even though there may not actually be a virus there.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I change malware protections all the time. Just go to filehippo and try them all until you find one that suits you. I personally like 360 total security and use opera as my browser
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 11:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I change malware protections all the time. Just go to filehippo and try them all until you find one that suits you. I personally like 360 total security and use opera as my browser

How is Opera? I've used IE, Google and Firefox. Of those, I favor Firefox the most, but I've never tried Opera.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2016, 11:02 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I use a combo of Avast, Adware, and Malwarebytes. Also use Hitman on start ups. But I have been thinking about giving AVG a try. I've never heard of Panda.

I get the warnings too. But I haven't worried about it. If the software is telling me that it is blocking a virus, that's a good thing (even though there may not actually be a virus there.

gotta be careful with malware warnings half the time the warning is the malware...
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 10:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta be careful with malware warnings half the time the warning is the malware...

true
Reply/Quote
I prefer Chrome the most, but for some reason shockwave is always... I mean always... crashing.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 07:52 PM)Lewdog Wrote: I prefer Chrome the most, but for some reason shockwave is always... I mean always... crashing.

I had that too with Chrome. That's why I quit using it. Some sort of disagreement between Google (Chrome) and Microsoft (Shockwave) I think.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 02:59 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: How is Opera? I've used IE, Google and Firefox. Of those, I favor Firefox the most, but I've never tried Opera.

I like Opera because you can customize your links homepage by simply putting the url there.  I like firefox, but won't use it for other reasons.

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 08:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I like Opera because you can customize your links homepage by simply putting the url there.  I like firefox, but won't use it for other reasons.

I use Firefox.  Is there something I should know about it?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 09:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I use Firefox.  Is there something I should know about it?

Nothing to do with the function of the browser. 

Brendan Eich

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 07:52 PM)Lewdog Wrote: I prefer Chrome the most, but for some reason shockwave is always... I mean always... crashing.

(06-16-2016, 08:00 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I had that too with Chrome. That's why I quit using it. Some sort of disagreement between Google (Chrome) and Microsoft (Shockwave) I think.

Yup.....makes reading the news on MSN a *****.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 08:00 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I had that too with Chrome. That's why I quit using it. Some sort of disagreement between Google (Chrome) and Microsoft (Shockwave) I think.

I did the opposite - kept Chrome and stopped going to MSN. Tired of reading about death and greed anyway  Ninja
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote