Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man Ticketed For Warming Up Car In His Driveway
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/man-ticketed-warming-car-loses-case/

Quote:ROSEVILLE, Mich. (AP) – Warming up your car in the driveway might be a Michigan winter tradition, but a judge says it’s not legal in a Detroit suburb if no one’s behind the wheel.

Nick Taylor challenged a $125 ticket in court Thursday and lost. His lawyer, Nicholas Somberg, says a Roseville ordinance against unattended running vehicles shouldn’t apply to driveways.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter

But Judge Marco Santia says the law is in the public interest.

Taylor got attention in January when he posted a photo of the ticket on Facebook. The post was shared more than 6,000 times and garnered more than 5,000 comments.

Roseville Police Chief James Berlin has defended the ticket. He says a thief could have stolen Taylor’s car.

...because we're living in an absurd bizzaro world where common sense doesn't matter.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(04-21-2017, 07:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/man-ticketed-warming-car-loses-case/

...because we're living in an absurd bizzaro world where common sense doesn't matter.

New York has a similar law.  Has to do with lowering risk of stolen vehicles...they say.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Leaving a car running unattended can be as dangerous as leaving an unloaded gun unattended. It is not as much about the car being stolen as it is a child having access to a running vehicle.

Clearing it should be illegal to do this in public, but this sounds worse because it was in the guys own driveway.
Should you be able to get ticketed for leaving your doors unlocked?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I know quite a few people that have remote car starters for those cold wintry days. Good thing they dont live in Batsville wherever though.

p.s. At first I thought the guy got ticketed because it broke some new epa regulation
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(04-22-2017, 12:09 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I know quite a few people that have remote car starters for those cold wintry days. Good thing they dont live in Batsville wherever though.

I'll bet these laws were written back when the key had to be left in the ignition for the car to be running.

Definitely should not be against the law if the doors were locked.
(04-22-2017, 09:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: New York has a similar law.  Has to do with lowering risk of stolen vehicles...they say.

"We are worried your car might get stolen, so we are stealing $125 from you."

Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I'm guessing it's the law in most states. The enforcement of such probably varies.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

The law is the law.  People need to understand that laws are meant to protect us citizens from ourselves.  Just like having that evil weed, marijuana outlawed.  Its illegal, because its bad.  Warming up your car in the wintertime is illegal for the same reason.  Its bad. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(04-21-2017, 07:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/04/21/man-ticketed-warming-car-loses-case/

obviously we need less regulations

trump to the rescue
People suck
(04-25-2017, 03:39 PM)Griever Wrote: obviously we need less regulations

trump to the rescue

PESD......It's a real thing.

(04-25-2017, 03:39 PM)Griever Wrote: obviously we need less regulations

trump to the rescue

[Image: 18010827_221911731627813_164486641345110495_n.jpg]

(04-25-2017, 03:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: PESD......It's a real thing.

Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-25-2017, 03:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 18010827_221911731627813_164486641345110495_n.jpg]

lol i know right
People suck
Side note, warming up newer cars is bad for the engine. Get in and drive them cold and deal with being cold for 5 minutes.
(04-26-2017, 05:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Side note, warming up newer cars is bad for the engine. Get in and drive them cold and deal with being cold for 5 minutes.

I don't know about this one.

(04-25-2017, 03:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 18010827_221911731627813_164486641345110495_n.jpg]

Your ability to predict the past is amazing

(04-26-2017, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't know about this one.

It's true. Warming up engines is a relic of carborators. Since newer cars use fuel injection you gain nothing. Because the systems add more gas to the mixture when cold it can cause a washing effect on the interior of the cylinders that can erode them. Because the fuel injectors don't need to run tat mixture as long if your driving as the engine warms up quicker it is Better for the engine. 

That's what engineer friend of my father told me a couple years back.
(04-26-2017, 06:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's true. Warming up engines is a relic of carborators. Since newer cars use fuel injection you gain nothing. Because the systems add more gas to the mixture when cold it can cause a washing effect on the interior of the cylinders that can erode them. Because the fuel injectors don't need to run tat mixture as long if your driving as the engine warms up quicker it is Better for the engine. 

That's what engineer friend of my father told me a couple years back.

Interesting and informative; however, I would have to ask your dad's friend what affect cold oil has on an engine. I agree there is no need for a prolonged heating up but best to get those fluids circulating before you take off.

(04-26-2017, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Interesting and informative; however, I would have to ask your dad's friend what affect cold oil has on an engine. I agree there is no need for a prolonged heating up but best to get those fluids circulating before you take off.

If I see him this weekend I'll ask.
(04-26-2017, 06:35 PM)Au165 Wrote:  Because the systems add more gas to the mixture when cold it can cause a washing effect on the interior of the cylinders that can erode them.

I don't think this is true at all.  A lower air/fuel ratio should not caus any "washing effect" that can erode the interior of the cylinders.

However with fuel injection you don't need to warm up your car because the AF adjust automatically.

So while warming up your car will not make it run smoother like it used to do with carburators chokes I seriously doubt it does any damage to the cylinders.