Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man shot point blank and killed by police during arrest in Baton Rouge
(07-06-2016, 10:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Probably just felt it when they were trying to get him under control and cuffed. 

I saw it on the news and don't care to watch any more.

Hard for me to say from the video it was nothing more than an "honest" mistake.  But what I don't get is why they handled the situation the way they did, not to mention pulling your gun when two of you are on top - I think it would have been more effective to use your other hand to control him.

Normally people put themselves in this situation and force the cops to make a decision.  While he did resist, it seemed they came on awfully aggressive.  Here's a case where the cops created the situation for mistakes to be made.

Of course, as usual, we might not be seeing the entire interaction.
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-07-2016, 01:32 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I saw it on the news and don't care to watch any more.

Hard for me to say from the video it was nothing more than an "honest" mistake.  But what I don't get is why they handled the situation the way they did, not to mention pulling your gun when two of you are on top - I think it would have been more effective to use your other hand to control him.

Normally people put themselves in this situation and force the cops to make a decision.  While he did resist, it seemed they came on awfully aggressive.  Here's a case where the cops created the situation for mistakes to be made.

Of course, as usual, we might not be seeing the entire interaction.

I'll give police the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise in the vast majority of cases. My first thought after watching this video is that they escalated the situation pretty quick when it didn't seem necessary (from my armchair quarterback position). 

While in hindsight, it's clear he had been arrested many times and was a felon in possession of a firearm...when police arrive, and there's no real threat, what gives them  the right to initiate a search or detainment based on a phoned in "tip"? This isn't the first story about a felon carrying illegally on these boards--where it wasn't confirmed that he was carrying until after the search. I'm just honestly wondering where the line is between what was said by someone making a call and where they're allowed to detain/search. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-06-2016, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Sad story, and reemphasizes the need for consistent police training.

Reviewing and improving police training seems appropriate......something's got to change for sure. The disrespect for human life seems to increase with each passing day. How in the world can this possibly continue?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Here's one that gets shot again after he is laying on the ground with his hands up:

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article88000527.html

Quote:Lying on the ground beside his pickup, 19-year-old Dylan Noble has already been shot twice, but is still alive when a Fresno police officer fires a shot toward him. Fourteen seconds later, another shot rings out, according to a video of the fatal incident obtained Wednesday by The Bee.

Police Chief Jerry Dyer said Wednesday that officers believed Noble was about to shoot them during the deadly encounter June 25. But officers later learned that Noble was unarmed.

The video, shot by a witness and showing only the last two of four shots fired by officers, surfaced on the day Noble’s family and friends held a private funeral for him in Clovis and the family’s lawyers released a letter asking for an outside law enforcement agency such as the FBI or the state Attorney General’s Office to investigate the shooting.

This one is not getting a lot of National attention for some reason.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2016, 12:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's one that gets shot again after he is laying on the ground with his hands up:

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article88000527.html

This one is not getting a lot of National attention for some reason.

I'm sure he was resisting.  Mellow

I'll go check FOX and Drudge to find his arrest record.   Mellow

All seriousness aside ANY event like this is a tragedy...and if sometimes it takes a catalyst like BLM matters to make such events public at all.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Well I think we've discovered that from the latest video that's been released, that Cop 1 had 1 hand under control and Cop 2 couldn't get the 2nd hand under control, They knew he had a gun and apparently he started to reach for it with his free hand, and then he got shot.
Case Closed.
(07-11-2016, 07:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Well I think we've discovered that from the latest video that's been released, that Cop 1 had 1 hand under control and Cop 2 couldn't get the 2nd hand under control, They knew he had a gun and apparently he started to reach for it with his free hand, and then he got shot.
Case Closed.

Well thank goodness we don't need a proper investigation!   Ninja
(07-12-2016, 08:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well thank goodness we don't need a proper investigation!   Ninja

You haven't needed them in the past.
(07-12-2016, 09:27 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You haven't needed them in the past.

To form an opinion?  No.  A most folks form those quickly.  Some are even different that mine.  Unbelievable, isn't it?!?!

Then they see what the investigation produces to say if they are right are wrong.

Most.

Some say "case closed".

Hope you are having a good day!
(07-12-2016, 09:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: To form an opinion?  No.  A most folks form those quickly.  Some are even different that mine.  Unbelievable, isn't it?!?!

Then they see what the investigation produces to say if they are right are wrong.

So you form opinions based on incomplete facts?  That would explain a lot.

Quote:Most.

Some say "case closed".

Like who?

Quote:Hope you are having a good day!

Keep working this you might get it to stick in about a year or five.
(07-12-2016, 09:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you form opinions based on incomplete facts?  That would explain a lot.

Not final opinions. But sure...I bet everyone on the board (except you oh mighty defender of the internet) forms initial opinions that can change over time as new facts are presented.

(07-12-2016, 09:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Like who?

Like the guy I was responding too before your "cop hater radar" went off and responded to me. Mellow

(07-12-2016, 09:32 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Keep working this you might get it to stick in about a year or five.

Hey I'm just concerned that you are not having a bad day. Wouldn't want any mistakes made. Rock On
(07-12-2016, 09:37 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not final opinions.  But sure...I bet everyone on the board (except you oh mighty defender of the internet) forms initial opinions that can change over time as new facts are presented.

Odd, I tend to not form an opinion until I have a majority of the facts.  Your line of thinking does explain a lot of the current climate though.

Quote:Like the guy I was responding too before your "cop hater radar" went off and responded to me.   Mellow

He just has an opinion.  No radar is needed btw.

Quote:Hey I'm just concerned that you are not having a bad day.  Wouldn't want any mistakes made.   Rock On

Meh, I'm a desk jockey 95% of the time now.  Not much damage I can do regardless.
(07-12-2016, 09:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Odd, I tend to not form an opinion until I have a majority of the facts.  Your line of thinking does explain a lot of the current climate though.

Odd, I said you didn't in my last post yet you felt you had to say it again to make it right.

But yes, I do take personal blame for all the hate in the country because I, as a human, form initial opinions that may change over time.

(07-12-2016, 09:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He just has an opinion.

Indeed.

(07-12-2016, 09:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  No radar is needed btw.

Well, that's your opinion. ThumbsUp

(07-12-2016, 09:50 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Meh, I'm a desk jockey 95% of the time now.  Not much damage I can do regardless.

I disagree. Lots of people can have their lives ruined for a day or forever from bad paperwork! Keep those spirits up sir! Cheers
(07-06-2016, 02:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: So paid leave, a few arguments over what to charge, internal investigation that finds no wrong doing and then back to work.

Uhm you actually made an opinion before all of the data was released. I at least waited. Yes I naturally take the cops side, but sometimes they are wrong and I will point that out as well, which is why I waited for more data before forming an opinion one way or another.

(07-12-2016, 09:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Odd, I said you didn't in my last post yet you felt you had to say it again to make it right.

But yes, I do take personal blame for all the hate in the country because I, as a human, form initial opinions that may change over time.  

Indeed.  

Well, that's your opinion.   ThumbsUp

I disagree.  Lots of people can have their lives ruined for a day or forever from bad paperwork!  Keep those spirits up sir!   Cheers

Yes it was my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, but it's the way it is going to go down. The video clearly supports what the Police have said and their actions. If you know the person you are trying to apprehend has a gun and you don't have full control yet, then you don't have to let them get out the gun and shoot before you shoot them.

But hey, you must be one of those people that thinks nothing bad will happen when someone is resisting an arrest.
(07-12-2016, 01:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm you actually made an opinion before all of the data was released. I at least waited. Yes I naturally take the cops side, but sometimes they are wrong and I will point that out as well, which is why I waited for more data before forming an opinion one way or another.

Yes it was my opinion, you don't have to agree with it, but it's the way it is going to go down. The video clearly supports what the Police have said and their actions. If you know the person you are trying to apprehend has a gun and you don't have full control yet, then you don't have to let them get out the gun and shoot before you shoot them.

But hey, you must be one of those people that thinks nothing bad will happen when someone is resisting an arrest.

yes indeed my sarcastic first response was my final and official take on the situation.   Ninja

Seriously though...will I be wrong?

As to your last take, no.  I am someone who thinks not rushing the guy and yelling an screaming orders might these situations go smoother in most cases.