Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manziel starting Thursday
Mr J. Football isn't going to Canton unless Browns fans toss him in the trunk of a car and drop his body somewhere out in the middle of Meyers Lake. The Bengals D ought to be using him as a tackling dummy and it's quite possible he may get injured out there which would probably not upset very many people.
Who's the backup to J. Football?

Woops.. Austin Davis per Wikipedia:

Quote:Davis went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft and signed a free agent deal with the St. Louis Rams. On August 30, 2013, Davis was cut by the Rams.[21]
Miami DolphinsEdit

The Miami Dolphins signed Davis to their practice squad on September 10, 2013.[22][23]
Second Stint with RamsEdit

Davis re-signed with the Rams on October 22, 2013, after an injury to Sam Bradford.[24] In the first week of the 2014 NFL season against the Minnesota Vikings, Davis entered the game at the start of the second half in relief of starter Shaun Hill. A week later, due to Hill's prevailing injury, Davis made his NFL starting debut on September 14, in a winning effort against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Following the Rams' 28-26 upset win over the defending champion Seattle Seahawks in Week 7, former All-Pro quarterback and legend Brett Favre tabbed Davis as a potential Tom Brady or Kurt Warner of the future, both of whom won Super Bowls despite a bleak start to their NFL careers. During the victory, Davis completed 18 of 21 passes, the best completion percentage in NFL history against a defending Super Bowl champion; the former Southern Miss QB also added 152 passing yards and two touchdowns, one of which ultimately sealed their victory after Davis successfully led an 80-yard drive.

After 2 interceptions and a lost fumble in the 4th quarter against Arizona in early November, Davis was benched in favor of Hill.

They probably ought to start Davis all things being equal ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can easily see us shutting them out, this will be a pathetically uneven match up...
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 06:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well 1 of the 2 browns wins this year was a manziel start

It was.  Against that powerhouse of an NFL franchise Tennessee Titans...
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 07:02 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It was.  Against that powerhouse of an NFL franchise Tennessee Titans...

yeah man they almost beat the colts. i know they didnt play a great game... but bad teams dont need much to have a little hope lol..

Not worried about it though. ill save that for the 4th qtr on thursday if there is need
Reply/Quote
I want the Bengals to destroy this team.

Reply/Quote
Can not wait to see Geno and Carlos sandwich Johnny football !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Keep in mind, when Johnny was on the field last against them, Geno wasn't Geno, and Burfict wasn't playing!
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 05:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: First off, thanks for being the only person to ever give me negative rep ya jerk.

Also, McCown's age is irrelevant, and lots of QB's who are younger than the best QBs in the league right now are either on benches or have already flamed out of the league.  McCown can be 90 years old and if he is playing decent football he should start over Manziel.

For you to act like 2-6 versus 0-8 is also irrelevant because you are not a Browns fan.  Additionally, you can preach about the Browns building through the draft but they haven't drafted a decent QB since 1985.

You also say "You don't play the 'best chance to win' when you are a failure of a team." which makes no sense because McCown is a better QB than Manziel, and then you admit that the Browns likely have a worse record if Manziel starts.  McCown gives the Browns a better chance to win, so you saying they should bench him makes zero sense by your own standards, if not mine.

You completely trash Manziel but then act like the Browns should start him because McCown is 36 years old.  I guess that's all that matters.  The dude is old.  The Browns are bad.  They should make some nonsensical personnel move because "why not" it's not like people are actually held accountable for making illogical decisions in a billion-dollar industry, right?

[Image: 1fy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 06:12 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: They should start Manziel bc they have nothing to lose and they Myswell see what there first round pick can give them so they know if they need to obtain a QB in the off season which I assumed they'll need to

Where do people get this idea?  GM's, coaches, and players within the NFL are held accountable for rotten personnel decisions all the time.  I get it, McCown is a boring journeyman and Manziel runs around a lot and has "upside" but look at what else is going on in the NFL...

- Texans get rid of "upside" Mallett in favor of safer, more competitive Hoyer (and back and forth for a while on picking the starting QB)
- 49ers fans applaud benching younger, more "upside" Kapernick in favor of boring ol' Gabbert
- Kirk Cousins is named the starter over an "upside" guy the DC team spent 1000 picks to get
- The Browns go with boring old McCown over the "upside" of Johnny Fartball
- The Colts win more games with the ancient Matt Hasslebeck than with Andrew "I only play well for 1 quarter per game" Luck
- a few years ago the Raiders replaced Terrel "holy crap this guy's upside is huge" Pryor with a boring ol' 2nd round QB and are relevant again
(keep in mind Raiders fans also wanted to bench a schmo who is a top #5 QB in the NFL today for a guy who almost immediately flamed out, too)
- Geno Smith loses his starting job to boring old journeyman QB Ryan Fitzpatrick who actually helps them be semi-relevant
- Cardinals cut super "upside" Logan Thomas so they can keep boring Drew Stanton and get boring Matt Barkley

The fact is, Ryan Mallett, Colin Kapernick, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Logan Thomas, Terrel Pryor, and RGIII took their upside to either the bench or the unemployment line should tell people a few things.  #1: QB's who are tossed out there "just because" can be broken pretty easily, and #2: fans of a team that want to "see what we have in the next guy" turn on the next guy faster than anyone else.

I just find it a bit interesting that regular old people can't wrap their heads around the fact that NFL teams don't just change QBs on a whim for the hell of it more often.  I also don't understand why people don't realize that the Browns go through about 3 QBs a year whether they have "nothing to lose" or not and the only ones who are any good are the ones that weren't drafted (and ruined) by the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 08:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Where do people get this idea?  GM's, coaches, and players within the NFL are held accountable for rotten personnel decisions all the time.  I get it, McCown is a boring journeyman and Manziel runs around a lot and has "upside" but look at what else is going on in the NFL...

- Texans get rid of "upside" Mallett in favor of safer, more competitive Hoyer (and back and forth for a while on picking the starting QB)
- 49ers fans applaud benching younger, more "upside" Kapernick in favor of boring ol' Gabbert
- Kirk Cousins is named the starter over an "upside" guy the DC team spent 1000 picks to get
- The Browns go with boring old McCown over the "upside" of Johnny Fartball
- The Colts win more games with the ancient Matt Hasslebeck than with Andrew "I only play well for 1 quarter per game" Luck
- a few years ago the Raiders replaced Terrel "holy crap this guy's upside is huge" Pryor with a boring ol' 2nd round QB and are relevant again
(keep in mind Raiders fans also wanted to bench a schmo who is a top #5 QB in the NFL today for a guy who almost immediately flamed out, too)
- Geno Smith loses his starting job to boring old journeyman QB Ryan Fitzpatrick who actually helps them be semi-relevant
- Cardinals cut super "upside" Logan Thomas so they can keep boring Drew Stanton and get boring Matt Barkley

The fact is, Ryan Mallett, Colin Kapernick, Geno Smith, Johnny Manziel, Logan Thomas, Terrel Pryor, and RGIII took their upside to either the bench or the unemployment line should tell people a few things.  #1: QB's who are tossed out there "just because" can be broken pretty easily, and #2: fans of a team that want to "see what we have in the next guy" turn on the next guy faster than anyone else.

I just find it a bit interesting that regular old people can't wrap their heads around the fact that NFL teams don't just change QBs on a whim for the hell of it more often.  I also don't understand why people don't realize that the Browns go through about 3 QBs a year whether they have "nothing to lose" or not and the only ones who are any good are the ones that weren't drafted (and ruined) by the Browns.
Actually in regards to both Kapernick and RG 3 they were financially motivated to change due to ridiculous injury clauses in their respective contracts. I think Jets are getting cold feet on Fitz. From a pure talent perspective both RG3 and Kaep would be playing over Gabbert and Cousins
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 05:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: First off, thanks for being the only person to ever give me negative rep ya jerk.

Also, McCown's age is irrelevant, and lots of QB's who are younger than the best QBs in the league right now are either on benches or have already flamed out of the league.  McCown can be 90 years old and if he is playing decent football he should start over Manziel.

For you to act like 2-6 versus 0-8 is also irrelevant because you are not a Browns fan.  Additionally, you can preach about the Browns building through the draft but they haven't drafted a decent QB since 1985.

You also say "You don't play the 'best chance to win' when you are a failure of a team." which makes no sense because McCown is a better QB than Manziel, and then you admit that the Browns likely have a worse record if Manziel starts.  McCown gives the Browns a better chance to win, so you saying they should bench him makes zero sense by your own standards, if not mine.

You completely trash Manziel but then act like the Browns should start him because McCown is 36 years old.  I guess that's all that matters.  The dude is old.  The Browns are bad.  They should make some nonsensical personnel move because "why not" it's not like people are actually held accountable for making illogical decisions in a billion-dollar industry, right?

I agree with iterally EVERYTHING you've posted in this thread, but all I gotta say is, who? Kosar? Wasn't he earlier?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 11:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Actually in regards to both Kapernick and RG 3 they were financially motivated to change due to ridiculous injury clauses in their respective contracts. I think Jets are getting cold feet on Fitz. From a pure talent perspective both RG3 and Kaep would be playing over Gabbert and Cousins

Talent ???  Kaep is 3 and 10 last 13 overall games... RG3 is 1 and 10 in last 11 games he has started... please tell me the talent that has created such a horrible starting QB record over those games ???  both players came out big in their career and have faded away..... 
Reply/Quote
I predict..........PAIN.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 01:05 AM)Anderson HOF Wrote: Talent ???  Kaep is 3 and 10 last 13 overall games... RG3 is 1 and 10 in last 11 games he has started... please tell me the talent that has created such a horrible starting QB record over those games ???  both players came out big in their career and have faded away..... 

Agreed.  My main point is that you have fanbases like the Browns who can't believe they are sticking with the ho-hum journeyman QB over the young guy who runs around like an idiot while other fanbases are begging the HC to bench the young idiot and play the old journeyman.

Browns fans may(?) want Manziel over McCown BUT
Jets fans wanted Fitz over Geno Smith
DC Squad's fans wanted Cousins over RGIII
49ers fans actually want Gabbert over Kapernick
Bills fans wanted Orton over Manuel
Broncos fans can't possibly be sad they have old ass Manning and not Tebow
Texans fans would rather see boring Hoyer over "Mr. Upside" Mallett
Bears and Lions fans both wanted to see backups that were significantly worse than Culter/Stafford and changed their minds

So other than the Browns, it seems like other teams played the younger more interesting guy to "see what they have" and quickly crammed an old guy into the starting gig and were the better for it.  The Browns are going to be the only team tossing a young unpredictable type out there while the rest of the NFL has gotten sick and tired of them.
Reply/Quote
Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer have all beaten the Bengals wearing Cleveland uniforms in recent years.

Step one in losing to a bad Cleveland quarterback is forgetting that the Bengals have lost to several of them in the past. Step two seems to be assuming they just have to show up to beat the snot out of Browns...

As long as the Bengals are being fed memories of last year's Thursday Night game, I feel good. If they go in flat, though, Cleveland can win this.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 09:32 AM)gobobro Wrote: Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brandon Weeden, and Brian Hoyer have all beaten the Bengals wearing Cleveland uniforms in recent years.

Step one in losing to a bad Cleveland quarterback is forgetting that the Bengals have lost to several of them in the past. Step two seems to be assuming they just have to show up to beat the snot out of Browns...

As long as the Bengals are being fed memories of last year's Thursday Night game, I feel good. If they go in flat, though, Cleveland can win this.

Hell no.  Two reasons--they will not go in flat and no matter how bad all those turd QB's were and are, Johhny is way worse.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-04-2015, 12:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree with iterally EVERYTHING you've posted in this thread, but all I gotta say is, who? Kosar? Wasn't he earlier?

Kosar was 85.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The Browns runners gained 20 yards last Sunday and the Browns quarterbacks ran for 19 yards.....and this is why it doesn't matter which QB starts.....They Have No Running Game.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Embarrass him again.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Eh, the Browns drafted Tim Couch in 99. He would have been good if he had had a team around him and wasn't thrown to the wolves where he was constantly pummeled.....
Reply/Quote