Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AAF is done
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/02/the-aaf-will-suspend-all-football-operations/

XFL won this one before it even started....
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 02:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/02/the-aaf-will-suspend-all-football-operations/

XFL won this one before it even started....

I saw the "warning" that this was going to happen, in a story yesterday.  If his only intent was to attract a developmental contract with the NFL, he should have negotiated that, before he went balls-in on getting the league started.  At least that's my take on it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think my favorite part is that they're essentially threatening the NFL and trying to get them to help. Why would the NFL want to help or lend practice squad players? Who would be responsible for injuries? There are so many legal ramifications that I don't blame the NFL for saying no thanks.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 05:33 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I think my favorite part is that they're essentially threatening the NFL and trying to get them to help. Why would the NFL want to help or lend practice squad players? Who would be responsible for injuries? There are so many legal ramifications that I don't blame the NFL for saying no thanks.

There were lots of NFL players in the European Football League (WLAF?)

The NFL would benefit from extra player development and practice, but I don't know how they worked out the injury issue.
Reply/Quote
Its too bad; this was a great product and a few stars emerged in the league, who WEREN'T retreads or has-beens, just guys who were buried on NFL depth charts or got hut before they made an impact.

I expect these guys to at least get a real shot at the NFL now:

- Schult
- Richardson (One of 5 picks for MVP of the league, though he had his shot and thensome lol)
- Gilbert (he was already with a team, but I think he'll be in solid contention for a backup role now, instead of a third stringer and one of 5 picks for MVP of the league)
- Rashard Ross (one of 5 picks for MVP of the league)
- Charles Johnson (also had his shot, one of 5 picks for MVP of the league)
- Nick Truesdell
- Cyril Richardson
- Farrow
- Reece Horn
- Orndoff

List goes on; a lot of guys played REALLY well and Koo kicked fantastically.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Shame they couldn't at least finish the season.

It really sucks for Johnny Manziel. He gets banned from the CFL to play 2 drives before getting kicked in the head and out with a concussion....then the league ends the next day.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
They blame the NFLpa for not letting ps players play in the league, but with the new league year don't the practice squad players revert to the active roster?

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm dumbfounded by this everything was going good for this league but the head guy wanted to dismantle it because the NFLPA didn't want to get involved right away. Kinda of dumb on his part considering they were probably going to get the palyers association at some point in the near future.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 08:38 PM)Storer50 Wrote: They blame the NFLpa for not letting ps players play in the league, but with the new league year don't the practice squad players revert to the active roster?

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

right now they are just signed to future contracts
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Shame they couldn't at least finish the season.

It really sucks for Johnny Manziel. He gets banned from the CFL to play 2 drives before getting kicked in the head and out with a concussion....then the league ends the next day.

I didn't look into the whole story, but Manziel's banning from the CFL seemed to be something he all but insisted happen.  If the XFL even bothers to start, I'd wager he will be on his 4th football league in 4 years.  I did watch his first game in the CFL and it was amusing to see the people in Manziel jerseys go from total optimism to "Ugh, I knew this would happen" in a matter of minutes.

As for the AAF, a few buddies and i picked a team and decided we'd be the biggest fans ever for serious, you guys. So now my Salt Lake Stallions zip up can hang with pride next to my Quebec Nordiques jersey in my closet.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 02:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I didn't look into the whole story, but Manziel's banning from the CFL seemed to be something he all but insisted happen.  If the XFL even bothers to start, I'd wager he will be on his 4th football league in 4 years.  I did watch his first game in the CFL and it was amusing to see the people in Manziel jerseys go from total optimism to "Ugh, I knew this would happen" in a matter of minutes.

As for the AAF, a few buddies and i picked a team and decided we'd be the biggest fans ever for serious, you guys. So now my Salt Lake Stallions zip up can hang with pride next to my Quebec Nordiques jersey in my closet.

Brimingham was my team; too bad I picked without knowing that Zack Perez was the QB (SMH)...
Reply/Quote
Now what's Marvin gonna do now that he won't have his broadcasting gig anymore?  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 05:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Brimingham was my team; too bad I picked without knowing that Zack Perez was the QB (SMH)...

I really liked the San Antonio team, and Orlando.  Those two teams played some good football.

Where they really screwed up, was letting Dundon (sp?) invest enough to become the shot caller.  Once that happened, their fate essentially hung in the balance with the NFLPA.  Pollian and Ebersol effed that up royally.  That guy was a wolf in sheep's clothing, and only paid 70 mil of a 250 mil promise.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 05:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Brimingham was my team; too bad I picked without knowing that Zack Perez was the QB (SMH)...

Mine was the San Diego Fleet! Loved those uni's.... The league did have some good players, I did like the LB can't remember his name, Gales or Gate, but he was just a beast. My problem was the QB play league wide and there was never a flow on offense it seemed to me. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Mine was the San Diego Fleet! Loved those uni's.... The league did have some good players, I did like the LB can't remember his name, Gales or Gate, but he was just a beast. My problem was the QB play league wide and there was never a flow on offense it seemed to me. 

Agreed, QB play was super inconsistent, aside from Gilbert and Brandon Silvers to Reece Horn. Great defense though, lots of disruptions, TsFL, turnovers, fun to watch!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 11:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: I really liked the San Antonio team, and Orlando.  Those two teams played some good football.

Where they really screwed up, was letting Dundon (sp?) invest enough to become the shot caller.  Once that happened, their fate essentially hung in the balance with the NFLPA.  Pollian and Ebersol effed that up royally.  That guy was a wolf in sheep's clothing, and only paid 70 mil of a 250 mil promise.
Dude was a sneaky snake.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Perhaps someone will get the great idea of starting every negotiation for a new league with the players association and make it a developmental league in cities with no other significant football ties.. No college teams of significance, no NFL teams within a certain distance so they're not competing for fan dollars.. I don't know what cities these mythical places might be, but picking major metropolitan area with close ties to the NFL seems to be a non-starter.  On the other side, being away from major cities makes it tough to find enough fans to actually fork over bucks to attend games.. How many fans could any team find in say, Miles City, Montana? On the other hand the Reds rookie team is in Billings, Montana and they've survived for years..  Miles City might be a good town since the state juvenile prison is there.. Good place for the likes of Mark Walton.. You never know..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote