Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Madness MDD Simulation
I am so glad the Bengals were able to secure a deal with Trent Brown as this really opens the draft up for them to make significant moves for now as well as position or the future. For instance they still could absolutely go OT in the first but now they can take a kid like Mims that I believe has a higher ceiling than Latham but may not be as ready to step in on day 1 as Latham absolutely is. If Bowers were to fall they could look for an OT later like Blake Fisher or the Kid from Yale. 

At any rate I believe the Bengals have set themselves up very nicely for this draft. You will see that I did trade up in the second round but for whatever reason the draft recap does not show picks from other years. Trading up to 42 was a swap of the 49th selection as well as a 5th round pick in '25 which ended up being a great value I believe.

Reply/Quote
At this time Walker is nothing more than just a vertical target. He’s a long strider who will excel running go routes, posts, corners and over routes. When he’s allowed to maintain play speed and keep his feet moving, he’s fine. When he’s asked to get in and out of breaks or make tighter turns, his lack of short-area footwork and route acumen make him substantially easier to cover. Nice to see you switched it up and picked someone else besides Rice tho.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 04:55 PM)pulses Wrote: At this time Walker is nothing more than just a vertical target. He’s a long strider who will excel running go routes, posts, corners and over routes. When he’s allowed to maintain play speed and keep his feet moving, he’s fine. When he’s asked to get in and out of breaks or make tighter turns, his lack of short-area footwork and route acumen make him substantially easier to cover. Nice to see you switched it up and picked someone else besides Rice tho.

You should have just copied the quote from the NFL draft profile over. 
Quote:Overview

All-day vertical target with long, linear frame and impressive build-up speed to win the footrace. Walker is a tale of two receivers. He’s a long strider who will excel running go routes, posts, corners and over routes. When he’s allowed to maintain play speed and keep his feet moving, he’s fine. When he’s asked to get in and out of breaks or make tighter turns, his lack of short-area footwork and route acumen make him substantially easier to cover.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devontez-walker/32005741-4c12-5280-b9cc-679bea874bd8

What no one seems to be talking about is that he accomplished a pretty damn good season in only 8 games as he was waiting for NCAA clearance to play after his transfer from Kent State. So a big jump in competition level he managed 41 receptions and 700 yards to go along with 7 TDs. Yes, he has areas that he needs to develop at this time and that should come with coaching. What he does immediately is provide a player that can test the deepest depths of a secondary with elite speed. 

I guess I am confused with what you would like to see him do with that type of speed...run comebacks or hooks? I personally want to see him constantly testing the corners over the top requiring safety help to play to him.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 10:14 PM)OSUfan Wrote: You should have just copied the quote from the NFL draft profile over. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devontez-walker/32005741-4c12-5280-b9cc-679bea874bd8

What no one seems to be talking about is that he accomplished a pretty damn good season in only 8 games as he was waiting for NCAA clearance to play after his transfer from Kent State. So a big jump in competition level he managed 41 receptions and 700 yards to go along with 7 TDs. Yes, he has areas that he needs to develop at this time and that should come with coaching. What he does immediately is provide a player that can test the deepest depths of a secondary with elite speed. 

I guess I am confused with what you would like to see him do with that type of speed...run comebacks or hooks? I personally want to see him constantly testing the corners over the top requiring safety help to play to him.

There are more complete WR's in this draft who can run routes and get open and get seperation and can do everything he does and more already. He needs some development. You don't draft a WR in the 3rd round that needs developing.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 10:28 PM)pulses Wrote: There are more complete WR's in this draft who can run routes and get open and get seperation and can do everything he does and more already. He needs some development. You don't draft a WR in the 3rd round that needs developing.

Any player drafted in the 3rd round is going to need some development. That is why they are in the third round. He has what you cannot teach and that is elite speed. Route running can be taught. So I absolutely disagree with your assessment and the consensus is that he is a 3rd round selection and averages out to 71st overall so the majority seem to disagree as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2024, 09:51 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Any player drafted in the 3rd round is going to need some development. That is why they are in the third round. He has what you cannot teach and that is elite speed. Route running can be taught. So I absolutely disagree with your assessment and the consensus is that he is a 3rd round selection and averages out to 71st overall so the majority seem to disagree as well.

71st is the 3rd round Whatever
Reply/Quote