Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Mock
FA is mostly done, so I decided to finally post something.
I do expect Jonah Williams to get traded, but until we would know what the return will be, I am not adding any extra picks into the mock.

1) Deonte Banks, CB Maryland (6'0", 197 lb) - Good sized CB who has the speed and fluidity to stick with receivers. I love how he uses his hands to get PBUs. Give Banks the CTB treatment where he is a depth guy as a rookie, gets some snaps still, and potentially get a starting spot in 2024 with Awuzie set to hit FA after this season.

2) Sam LaPorta, TE Iowa (6'3", 245 lb) - Well-rounded TE from "TE U" who has multiple years of good receiving production in college, displays good speed and agility at the position to separate, and a willingness to get his nose into the action as a blocker. LaPorta was someone I had on my "wants" list last year, but he chose to go back to college for his senior year. LaPorta is a plug-and-play starter in my eyes.

3) Warren McClendon, RT Georgia (6'4", 306 lb) - Two-time national champion RT prospect who has shown to succeed specifically as a run blocker in both gap and zone. In pass protection, he's held his own against the likes of Aidan Hutchinson, David Ojabo, and Will Anderson. From tape I've watched on him, he does a good job trying to stay between the defender and the QB in the pass game, showing necessary strength and mirroring ability. He needs some refinement on his mechanics to have more consistency, but he should offer the necessary athleticism, power, size, and mentality to become a starter. McClendon also could offer some enticing play at Guard if a team wished to try him there.

4) Roschon Johnson, RB Texas (6'0", 219 lb) - Bigger RB who underwhelmed some at the Combine with his speed, which I think causes him to drop to Day 3. This guy reminds me a lot of Perine, but faster. He's a powerful runner, he can catch with ease, and he's a good blocker. Much like Darnell Washington having a stud guy in front of him at the position and thus not getting featured as much because of it, Johnson had to play second fiddle to stud Bijan Robinson. I think he'd have put up (a lot) more if he had been the main RB on a team.

5) Thomas Incoom, DE Central Michigan (6'2", 262 lb) - This dude terrorized the MAC, constantly getting to QBs. Double-digit sacks in 2022 along with nearly 20 TFLs. He looks to have a good motor. I think he could push Gunter for that last DL spot and continually build more playing time as he develops over his first 2-3 years.

6) Jake Bobo, WR UCLA (6'4", 206 lb) - Big slot guy who can succeed in shorter routes by utilizing his size, length, and route running. He can play inside and outside, which is valuable for a depth guy. TDN had him compared to 2021 7th round pick Ben Skowronek, who started 11 games and put up  376 yards with the Rams this past season. I like Bobo to add some competition to the WR depth and possibly emerge as a dark horse to take over as the new slot after Boyd likely leaves in FA next year.

7) Ben Sims, TE Baylor (6'4", 254 lb) - Blocking TE who has shown some receiving ability as a security blanket. Not much potential to become a dynamic receiver, which will limit him to being a TE2 at best.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 05:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 1) Deonte Banks, CB Maryland (6'2", 205 lb) - Good sized CB who has the speed and fluidity to stick with receivers. I love how he uses his hands to get PBUs. Give Banks the CTB treatment where he is a depth guy as a rookie, gets some snaps still, and potentially get a starting spot in 2024 with Awuzie set to hit FA after this season.

Deonte Banks ran a 4.35 forty so he has excellent speed. He looks pretty strong as well which should help him be a solid tackler.

It looks like Awuzie clocked a 4.43 when he came out of College, so Banks offers even more speed at the position.

If the Bengals go for a Corner in round 1, Banks may be the guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 06:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: Deonte Banks ran a 4.35 forty so he has excellent speed. He looks pretty strong as well which should help him be a solid tackler.

It looks like Awuzie clocked a 4.43 when he came out of College, so Banks offers even more speed at the position.

If the Bengals go for a Corner in round 1, Banks may be the guy.

It was Banks' tape that had me loving him, well before he ran at the Combine.
I think his excellent speed and agility displayed at the Combine boosted him from potentially falling to the Bengals in Rd 2 to now being a late 1st or early 2nd rounder.
Given how much I like him, I'm willing to spend Pick 28 on him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2023, 06:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was Banks' tape that had me loving him, well before he ran at the Combine.
I think his excellent speed and agility displayed at the Combine boosted him from potentially falling to the Bengals in Rd 2 to now being a late 1st or early 2nd rounder.
Given how much I like him, I'm willing to spend Pick 28 on him.

It seems like most Mocks and Analysts have him as a late round 1 guy.

Running a 4.35 at his strong size plus how fluid he looks when he plays bodes well for him as a 1st rounder.

I like him also. It never hurts to be deep and strong at Corner.

I have not decided on who I want the Bengals to take yet but I have a trust in the Bengals to make a solid choice that I did not have a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
I always enjoy your mocks so thank you for posting another. I'm surprised with your pick in round 1. You doing an April mock prior to the draft?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:29 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I always enjoy your mocks so thank you for posting another. I'm surprised with your pick in round 1. You doing an April mock prior to the draft?

Thanks.
What's surprising about the Rd 1 pick? That it's not a TE/OT? Or the specific CB selected?

My goal was that I wanted to prioritize a CB4 who could potentially take over as a starter after this year, a starting TE, a RT to compete with Carman, and a RB2.
I basically settled on either Roschon Johnson in Rd 4 or Zach Charbonnet in Rd 2 for RB, and I don't feel there's a starting-caliber rookie TE after Rd 2 this year.
So the biggest options were where to take an OT and CB.

Other options:
1) Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer, TE
2) Zach Charbonnet, RB
3) McClendon, OT
4) CB

1) Darnell Wright, OT
2) LaPorta, TE
3) CB
4) Johnson, RB

1) Washington/Mayer, TE
2) Matthew Bergeron, OT
3) CB
4) Johnson, RB

I could plan to do another mock before the draft if there are any other moves. E.g. once we see if Jonah is getting traded, I will factor the pick(s) in, if we pick up a RB2 or CB4. I don't see a TE1-caliber guy left in FA that would do anything more than a 1-year stopgap, so I would still probably take a TE in Rd 1 or 2.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Thanks.
What's surprising about the Rd 1 pick? That it's not a TE/OT? Or the specific CB selected?

Banks isn't a name I've seen many account for when discussing pick #28. I suppose I would have expected Kelee Ringo at 28 if a CB is the pick. Do you think the Bengals might value Banks higher than other teams or are you speculating a ton of CBs are going in round 1?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Banks isn't a name I've seen many account for when discussing pick #28. I suppose I would have expected Kelee Ringo at 28 if a CB is the pick. Do you think the Bengals might value Banks higher than other teams or are you speculating a ton of CBs are going in round 1?

Personally, I like Banks more than Ringo.
Ringo gives up some big plays that I am not particularly a fan of. Reminds me of Kirkpatrick.
I like Banks' ability to stick on receivers, plus he has elite speed and agility and is good size too.

Other CBs I would take would be Witherspoon, Gonzalez, or Cam Smith, but I am not confident they would be there at 28.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Personally, I like Banks more than Ringo.
Ringo gives up some big plays that I am not particularly a fan of. Reminds me of Kirkpatrick.
I like Banks' ability to stick on receivers, plus he has elite speed and agility and is good size too.

Other CBs I would take would be Witherspoon, Gonzalez, or Cam Smith, but I am not confident they would be there at 28.

Makes sense and I have read that about Ringo, that he gambled and had the ability to do so often since the rest of his defensive peers could dominate the opposition.

Anyhow, you had success last year so let's see how you fair in '23 with the mock.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Love picks 1-6. Don’t know much about the last one and honestly they could go in several directions there. I’d be stoked if this was our actual draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Thanks.

My goal was that I wanted to prioritize a CB4 who could potentially take over as a starter after this year, a starting TE, a RT to compete with Carman, and a RB2.
I basically settled on either Roschon Johnson in Rd 4 or Zach Charbonnet in Rd 2 for RB, and I don't feel there's a starting-caliber rookie TE after Rd 2 this year.
So the biggest options were where to take an OT and CB.

Other options:
1) Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer, TE
2) Zach Charbonnet, RB
3) McClendon, OT
4) CB

1) Darnell Wright, OT
2) LaPorta, TE
3) CB
4) Johnson, RB

1) Washington/Mayer, TE
2) Matthew Bergeron, OT
3) CB
4) Johnson, RB

I could plan to do another mock before the draft if there are any other moves. E.g. once we see if Jonah is getting traded, I will factor the pick(s) in, if we pick up a RB2 or CB4. I don't see a TE1-caliber guy left in FA that would do anything more than a 1-year stopgap, so I would still probably take a TE in Rd 1 or 2.

Banks.  Most people think he's long gone by then.  If he's there, I don't think they pass on him.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 07:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Banks.  Most people think he's long gone by then.  If he's there, I don't think they pass on him.

He might be, but I haven't seen many draft sites project him ahead of Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Cam Smith, and Porter.
If Banks does happen to be gone, I might pull the trigger on DJ Turner, although I do feel like 28 might be a bit early for him.
Either way, I'm liking the options at CB more than OT at 28, especially if Darnell Wright is off the board.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Nice mock Ochocincos. Like it a lot, getting Banks makes a ton of sense and I think the only TE's I like better than LaPorta
are Darnell Washington and Mayer in an awesome TE class. McClendon is intriguing, would love to get a RT like that in the
3rd round. Roschon Johnson is just what we need at RB, about the best pass blocker in this Draft and he can do it all.

Know nothing about Incoomb but now he is in my thoughts in the mid rounds. Small college guy so that would be the
reason he would fall even if he was terrorizing the MAC, it is still the MAC lol

I watched Bobo and Sims play a couple times last year and liked them. Well done. Wink
Reply/Quote
For people who may want to bump TE and CB down a bit with the additions of Irv Smith Jr. and Sidney Jones IV, here's something I think could be ok with a TE and CB taken later:

1) Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee
2) Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA
3) Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan
4) Cory Trice Jr, CB Purdue
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:50 AM)ochocincos Wrote: For people who may want to bump TE and CB down a bit with the additions of Irv Smith Jr. and Sidney Jones IV, here's something I think could be ok with a TE and CB taken later:

1) Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee
2) Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA
3) Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan
4) Cory Trice Jr, CB Purdue

I wouldnt spend a 1 on an OT unless Johan is leaving
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I wouldnt spend a 1 on an OT unless Johan is leaving

You still can, just let Ford go. He signed for 1-year vet minimum deal.
Either way, Jonah and/or Ford will be hitting FA after this year, and the Bengals don't seem to mind having 1st rounders act as a backup their rookie season.

With that said, I prefer my actual mock, but I just provided an alternative for people that may want to see OT and RB earlier.
There isn't really a RB I would want in the 1st round and I don't care too much for Dawand Jones, so for me in the first round it's either Wright, a TE, or a CB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like the first two picks but would really like to see a S to challenge Scott for the starting job and a player with return ability in there somewhere. I'm not a fan of Johnson at all. The guy accelerates like a minivan with a 4 cylinder engine and seems about ready to lose his balance and fall over on his own when he cuts sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:49 AM)Whatever Wrote: I like the first two picks but would really like to see a S to challenge Scott for the starting job and a player with return ability in there somewhere.  I'm not a fan of Johnson at all.  The guy accelerates like a minivan with a 4 cylinder engine and seems about ready to lose his balance and fall over on his own when he cuts sometimes.

I understand that sentiment, but...
1) Nick Scott signed a 3-year deal, so he's going to be the starter.
2) The Bengals have multiple returners on their roster already, including re-signing Taylor, which is why I didn't take one with the 7th pick. If I did, it'd be Nikko Remigio, WR Fresno St.
3) I guess I have a different opinion on Johnson than you when it comes to his talent, but regardless I wanted someone in the 4th round that I felt could pass block, catch the ball, and run. I didn't see many options in the draft class that could do that. He isn't as fast as I'd like, but he's faster than Perine and most importantly he can block and catch. If you got someone better in mind for Day 3 who can run, block, and pass protect, I'd be curious to hear who it is. I might switch up my mock.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that sentiment, but...
1) Nick Scott signed a 3-year deal, so he's going to be the starter.
2) The Bengals have multiple returners on their roster already, including re-signing Taylor, which is why I didn't take one with the 7th pick. If I did, it'd be Nikko Remigio, WR Fresno St.
3) I guess I have a different opinion on Johnson than you when it comes to his talent, but regardless I wanted someone in the 4th round that I felt could pass block, catch the ball, and run. I didn't see many options in the draft class that could do that.

Scott's contract is structured so he can be released next year at a cap savings.  If he had gotten a significant chunk of his deal as guaranteed money, I'd agree, but his deal has easy outs if the Bengals find an upgrade.

Taylor was 20th in the league in PR average and we were 27th as a club in KR average amongst multiple returners.  The return game is a big weakness right now.  For a team with SB aspirations, it needs to be addressed.  Look at how big returns set up the GW scores in the AFCCG and the SB.  

Johnson has good hands, but will be overmatched by the NFL LB's DC's will use to cover him.  He's a guy that will reliably catch that swing pass just to get dropped for no gain.  
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 11:59 AM)Whatever Wrote: Scott's contract is structured so he can be released next year at a cap savings.  If he had gotten a significant chunk of his deal as guaranteed money, I'd agree, but his deal has easy outs if the Bengals find an upgrade.

Taylor was 20th in the league in PR average and we were 27th as a club in KR average amongst multiple returners.  The return game is a big weakness right now.  For a team with SB aspirations, it needs to be addressed.  Look at how big returns set up the GW scores in the AFCCG and the SB.  

Johnson has good hands, but will be overmatched by the NFL LB's DC's will use to cover him.  He's a guy that will reliably catch that swing pass just to get dropped for no gain.  

There's a chance that KR could become significantly less important going forward.  The resolution to change the touchback rule to that of CFB, where balls fair caught inside the 20 would be awarded touchback and possession given at the 25.  They are moving toward removing the kick return aspect from the game.

Edit: What I meant to say is that resolution has been tabled for further discussion in the May owners meeting, meaning there is a good chance that it could be passed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote