Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Mock Draft One Trade
I wanted to see how this would work after a post in another thread got me thinking about the first 3 guys drafted with a trade back.

So for this draft to really work, two things are needed. First, the Bengals need to sign Kerrigan or Melvin Ingram to a one year deal as we are going to stay on offense for the first 4 picks.
Secondly, Atlanta needs to take Pitts, Chase, Sewell or a top defender to leave Fields on the board at 5.

Neither of these are super big stretches, so here we go.

Round 1 Pick 5: Trade - Carolina moves up from 8 to get Fields to avoid being shut out of the QB run as Denver is also on the phone. They move up and take Fields here and give us pick number 8 and pick 39 as well as their first next year to secure their QB. In this mock run, Atlanta took Pitt, Sewell went to the Jets, and Chase went to the Lions.

Round 1 Pick 8: Rashawn Slater OL Northwestern

So, the big three everyone wants is gone, but this isn't bad news as Rashawn Slater is sitting here ready to come in and play on the line immediately. I've been on the get Sewell train since the start, but as I look at the line the question becomes which should be upgraded first, Reiff and Williams or XSF, Spain and Hopkins. Clearly the interior is the weaker spot with Hart gone, so Slater comes in and becomes the Quinton Nelson like player on the interior of the line. He has the tape as he shut down DROY Chase Young when they went up against one another, and plays with such a nasty streak. This gives Burrow comfort that the line isn't going to be right in his lap.

Round 2 Pick 38: Terrace Marshall Jr. WR LSU

Round 2 and we reunite Burrow with his former WR target, just a different one. Good news is this is a guy that isn’t a scheme-restricted talent and he’s capable of producing in a variety of roles. He has had great success on the outside while at LSU and steps right on in as the 3rd WR here and has instant chemistry with Burrow.

Round 2 Pick 39: Pat Freiermuth TE Penn State

Thanks the the trade back, in the first 40 picks of the draft we have upgraded the line, the WR corp and now we add a guy who instantly becomes the best TE on the roster. In every phase of his game, Freiermuth brings an alpha mentality. At his route stem, he matches any contact he faces. In contested catch situations, he has strong hands and an ability to box out defenders with his frame. Even after the catch, he’s an angry runner who has the ability to keep churning his legs and grind out tough yards through contact. Sign me up for that type of energy.

Round 3 Pick 69: James Hudson OT Cincinnati

This pick is going to get the most heat probably. Hudson is viewed as a guy that can start at LT but needs time. His projections on where he is drafted go from top 50 to top 100. If we want him though, this is the place we'd have to make the move and in the long-term it will pay off. Reiff is here for one season so Hudson gets to be the swing tackle for a year and get developed while coming in to help on goal line moments. Now after the season, Reiff moves on and we have the answer already in house. Being prepared for once. If Reiff signs back on, Hudson is a big bodied player that you can move to G and still look at having 5 great players in front of Burrow,

Round 4 Pick 111: Osa Odighizuwa DI UCLA

Here we find our first defensive pick as we get a guy to develop of the interior of the defensive line. Odighizuwa was an explosive defensive lineman for the Bruins, but may not have a true position at the next level. He could project as a three-technique tackle or defensive end in a four-man front, although he’ll have to improve his strength at the point to develop into a starter on Sundays.

Round 5 Pick 149: Cornell Powell WR Clemson

Yes, I'm a Clemson and after seeing Higgins explode onto the seen last season the Bengals should be as well. Powell is a great fit as a 4th WR for the team. Shows great awareness, comes back to the ball to make himself an available target, and consistently comes away with the difficult reception. Extends his hands to snatch the ball out of the air, exposes himself to the big hit, and wins out for contested throws. Displays eye/hand coordination and lays out or extends to come away with the difficult grab.

Round 6 Pick 190: Chauncey Golston Edge Iowa

Here we get our developmental end to rotate in and allow to develop behind the free agent addition as well as the starting duo of Hendrickson and Hubbard. Golston was a solid starter at Iowa the past two seasons and went on to have a good week of practice at the Senior Bowl. He’s a natural 4-3 defensive end and a situational pass rusher who will eventually mature into an every-down player.

Round 6 Pick 202 Ernest Jones LB South Carolina

A nice developmental LB that would be a good addition to the special teams group or stashed away for a season on the practice squad to see what you have.

Round 7 Pick 235 Ian Book QB Notre Dame

So many options at this spot. K, 3rd QB, maybe a guy for the defensive back group, couple more edge guys and interior defensive linemen were on the board, it really comes down to what spot on the defense needs a player.

I really liked the way things fell in the draft and having the luxury of an extra 1st rounder next year coming from Carolina who will probably struggle greatly with Fields under center plus having lost Curtis Samuel and not having done much in the way of free agency themselves makes it even better in my opinion.

Thoughts and opinions welcome. I feel like this would really shore up most of the weaker spots on the team quickly though.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we landed Slater, Marshall and "Little Gronk" the offense would definitely be looking up.
Reply/Quote