Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Madden's Raiders vs Bengals 1976
In 1976, late in the season, the Raiders were playing Cincinnati in a Monday Night Game. The Raiders had already clinched and had nothing to play for, the Bengals had a one game lead over the Steelers. If the Raiders tanked the game, the Steelers would not make the playoffs.

However, Madden had the Raiders go all out, they beat the Bengals, and the Steelers won the division the next week.

In 1975, the Bengals lost to John Madden's Raiders in the playoffs 28-31.

It's time for revenge.

P.S. Not even thinking about the Bo Jackson playoff loss.

The 1976 game still haunts me today. A game the Raiders did not even need.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
That '76 game(I remember it well) was a testament to the greatness of Madden. NO HOF coach(or most any coach, for that matter) would ever tank, imo. As competitive as most coaches are, they are going to play all out to win every game. It's what you do!
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:45 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: In 1976, late in the season, the Raiders were playing Cincinnati in a Monday Night Game. The Raiders had already clinched and had nothing to play for, the Bengals had a one game lead over the Steelers. If the Raiders tanked the game, the Steelers would not make the playoffs.

However, Madden had the Raiders go all out, they beat the Bengals, and the Steelers won the division the next week.

In 1975, the Bengals lost to John Madden's Raiders in the playoffs 28-31.

It's time for revenge.

P.S. Not even thinking about the Bo Jackson playoff loss.

The 1976 game still haunts me today. A game the Raiders did not even need.

The raiders just built a new deep, embedded nemesis, the chargers. I'm sure Herbert and company are not gonna forget this game, they could have both been in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 11:02 AM)Science Friction Wrote: That '76 game(I remember it well) was a testament to the greatness of Madden. NO HOF coach(or most any coach, for that matter) would ever tank, imo.  As competitive as most coaches are, they are going to play all out to win every game. It's what you do!

[Image: a5c38224665b5e26a46947807f976a9d.jpg]

Wow, for someone who says they remember the 1976 game between the Raiders v Bengals, your brain froze about the 2005 Dolphins v Patriots game at New England.  Smirk 

You claim NO HOF coach would ever tank a game, yeah right. No true Bengal fan will forget Bill Belicheat tanking a game to the Dolphins just to get a lower seed and avoid the Steelers and play the Jags instead.

To warm up your brain that is the game the Pats went from Brady to 2nd string Cassel to 3rd string Doug Flutie, where Flutie was allowed to do a drop kick for 2 points in the game that was not used in the NFL since the 40's. That was what HOF coach Bill did so that they could avoid the Steelers instead get the Jags in the playoffs. The Pats went from 3rd seed to 4th seed and the Bengals of course received the 3rd seed met the Steelers and the rest is History.

That was not the only time Bill did not go all out here is another.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/320619-steelers-miss-playoffs-the-real-reason-bill-belichick-threw-final-game

So don't give me that crap "It's what you do".

Since I like to bring evidence ...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2277308

Reply/Quote
Every now and then I feel like an old guy when reading a thread. It often occurs when I recognize a poster is revealing their approximate age by stating how they have only ever seen Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton (now Joe Burrow) as the Bengals QBs.

I can now say this thread makes me feel young as I didn't exist in 1976.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:21 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Every now and then I feel like an old guy when reading a thread. It often occurs when I recognize a poster is revealing their approximate age by stating how they have only ever seen Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton (now Joe Burrow) as the Bengals QBs.

You make me feel old.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:53 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You make me feel old.  Mellow

If I'm old, then you must be old. Sorry, not sorry?  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:56 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If I'm old, then you must be old. Sorry, not sorry?  Hilarious

[Image: 1106887511ninja.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 11:02 AM)Science Friction Wrote: That '76 game(I remember it well) was a testament to the greatness of Madden. NO HOF coach(or most any coach, for that matter) would ever tank, imo.  As competitive as most coaches are, they are going to play all out to win every game. It's what you do!

Agree with this. "Win this one" "Lose this one" seems far more plausible in theory than in practice. Can't turn it on and off like a car. That's playing with fire.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:16 PM)tms Wrote: Agree with this. "Win this one" "Lose this one" seems far more plausible in theory than in practice. Can't turn it on and off like a car. That's playing with fire.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

He wrote a HOF coach would go all out to win games. Did you bother to read the response??

Did you check the reference[evidence] or did you blindly just make a response.

Maybe you don't consider Bill a HOF coach. You would be the only one in this universe.  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:29 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You have no idea what you are talking about.

He wrote a HOF coach would go all out to win games. Did you bother to read the response??

Did you check the reference[evidence] or did you blindly just make a response.

Maybe you don't consider Bill a HOF coach. You would be the only one in this universe.  Whatever

You're using the exception to prove the rule. And don't be so insecure. You're a grown man. People are just talking here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 02:21 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Every now and then I feel like an old guy when reading a thread. It often occurs when I recognize a poster is revealing their approximate age by stating how they have only ever seen Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton (now Joe Burrow) as the Bengals QBs.

My knowledge only extends back to the Klingler/Blake days. I actually went out for Halloween dressed as a demoted Dave Klingler in 1994.

Wore a #7 jersey and held a clipboard. LOL

I do vaguely remember my Dad watching the 88 Super Bowl, but I had no interest in football until the 90s. Lucky me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 05:11 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: My knowledge only extends back to the Klingler/Blake days. I actually went out for Halloween dressed as a demoted Dave Klingler in 1994.

Wore a #7 jersey and held a clipboard. LOL

I do vaguely remember my Dad watching the 88 Super Bowl, but I had no interest in football until the 90s. Lucky me.

Unfortunately, you probably didn't get any candy that year.

That season was my first taste of hardcore fandom. It was awesome watching the Bengals beat the Bills in the AFC Championship and soul crushing to watch them lose to the 49'ers in the Super Bowl. Maybe it's your fault we suck based on when you started rooting for the team?  Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 05:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Unfortunately, you probably didn't get any candy that year.

That season was my first taste of hardcore fandom. It was awesome watching the Bengals beat the Bills in the AFC Championship and soul crushing to watch them lose to the 49'ers in the Super Bowl. Maybe it's your fault we suck based on when you started rooting for the team?  Cool

I got sacked and strip fumbled the bag to a guy dressed up as Kevin Greene. I think it might have been the actual Kevin Greene. Mellow 

...and if we lose on Saturday, I'll probably just give up being a fan so the rest of you can enjoy playoff wins. Sad
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:33 PM)tms Wrote: You're using the exception to prove the rule. And don't be so insecure. You're a grown man. People are just talking here. 

One of the main reasons why the NFL went to a policy I can't stand was the "last weeks division games" because according to the Commissioner not me was because teams that were already seeded in the playoffs were resting their starters aka Bengals v Browns. He felt teams would play harder against their rival division foes. That is not necessarily true as Bill did not go hard against Miami. And both Patriot tanks were not the exception. I can't help it if you have no memory, I am not going to point out each time a team tanked for your benefit and I am not trying to be mean or insecure. In my line of work I deal with facts and evidence and when someone calls me out here or in life I respond.

I created a thread about John Madden going all out in a game in which he did not have to do because his team was all already seeded. Which I can say good for him. I don't hate the Raiders or Madden, in fact I always rooted for the Raiders against the Steelers. A team Madden aided enter the playoffs by beating the Bengals.

Now a scenario off the top of my head because I can't stop laughing. In 2007, the Cleveland Browns were 10 - 6, their last lost in week 16 of 17 was against the Bengals. Prior to that game they were 9 - 5, again they lost to the Bengals lost the option to control their own destiny became 9 - 6 and they played the 49ers their last week which they won. Now the only team that was holding them back were the Titans who had the tie-breaker over the Browns. But the Titans had to beat the Colts at Indy on the Sunday Night game of the week. All Browns fans all over the globe were watching this game as the Colts who were 13-2 were favored. Haha for Brown fans. The Colts starters only played 3 series and produced 3 points before the back ups came in. That included Peyton Manning.

Result Titans win, Browns out.

Again, this has occurred many times. Please don't play revisionist history and tell me about an exception. Oh and that coach for Indy was HOF coach Tony Dungy.

[Image: R.ffa15365f50492863d24ad118ce376b4?rik=a...ImgRaw&r=0]
Reply/Quote