Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Hardison
So i've been reading over some threads today and one thing I keep seeing is people crapping on Marcus Hardison. I found this funny because all things considered I saw a ton of potential in the game. Now lets keep things in perspective that he's stepping in at right end because Michael Johnson was out and he was gassed because of nerves almost the entire game; this was specifically something he talked about after the game. That said both sacks were a direct result of his play. Even the williams sack was because of his drawing a double team. His sack looked great and the spin move was slick.

Having a high football IQ being a former quarterback plus his natural size is something that could develop into a real special talent. My hope is they kick him inside to backup peko and eventually replace him. What did you guys think of his first game and do you have high hopes or concerns?

Who dey!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: So i've been reading over some threads today and one thing I keep seeing is people crapping on Marcus Hardison.  I found this funny because all things considered I saw a ton of potential in the game.  Now lets keep things in perspective that he's stepping in at right end because Michael Johnson was out and he was gassed because of nerves almost the entire game; this was specifically something he talked about after the game.  That said both sacks were a direct result of his play.  Even the williams sack was because of his drawing a double team.  His sack looked great and the spin move was slick.  

Having a high football IQ being a former quarterback plus his natural size is something that could develop into a real special talent.  My hope is they kick him inside to backup peko and eventually replace him.  What did you guys think of his first game and do you have high hopes or concerns?

Who dey!

I think if he has a future it is at DE. I fear he may be a poor man's Justin Smith; more designed for a 3-4.

WTS, it was just the first game of his rookie year, he still has time to show he can stand up in the middle.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the pisck of Hardison, but I have always felt that he needed a year to get bigger and stronger to play DT in the NFL. So this chance to play some DE may actually help him get more playing time than he would at just DT.
Reply/Quote
Very versatile rookie. A big Frostee Rucker is what i see.
Reply/Quote
I like him as a DT and I think it's obviously way too early to judge the kid or claim that he's better suited for a 3-4.

Btw, at 6'3" 315, he's considerably bigger than Justin Smith ever was.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For a guy his size he is pretty athletic. Honestly thought he would be a lot smaller than what he is.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see him inside, not at end, because I think we'll be pretty well set at end and will have enough guys for a decent rotation.

However, Hardison's speed and agility, imco, would be amazing to have inside getting pressure and calling for double teams, especially on passing downs.

I think he's more of an Atkins-type (no, I'm not saying he is or ever will be anywhere near as good as Atkins) that gets penetration and uses his athletic ability to get into the backfield, whereas Still and Sims are your more "clog-the-hole" type tackles (I realize Atkins uses power, too, but my comparison is more about penetration).

Even if you played Sims and Still on rushing downs and then brought in Hardison in passing situations and just said "go get the quarterback," I think it would be amazing.

Hardison is listed at right tackle, behind Atkins and Thompson, but I'm hoping that changes soon.
Reply/Quote
Hardison did ok at DT. But the caveat is that he only started doing ok when he was in there along side Williams (#69). That dude was disrupting everything. After one preseason game, he really caught my attention. I am excited to see how he does in future pre season games, and when he starts playing against 1s and 2s instead of third stringers. We may have found Geno's backup if he keeps it up.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd like to see him inside, not at end, because I think we'll be pretty well set at end and will have enough guys for a decent rotation.

However, Hardison's speed and agility, imco, would be amazing to have inside getting pressure and calling for double teams, especially on passing downs.

I think he's more of an Atkins-type (no, I'm not saying he is or ever will be anywhere near as good as Atkins) that gets penetration and uses his athletic ability to get into the backfield, whereas Still and Sims are your more "clog-the-hole" type tackles (I realize Atkins uses power, too, but my comparison is more about penetration).

Even if you played Sims and Still on rushing downs and then brought in Hardison in passing situations and just said "go get the quarterback," I think it would be amazing.

Hardison is listed at right tackle, behind Atkins and Thompson, but I'm hoping that changes soon.

I think you have Still confused with somebody else.

And he won't be on the team anyway so it's a moot point.

Also, anyone criticizing Hardison is just being dumb.
Reply/Quote
Hardison looked a hell of a lot better playing the the 1-tech than he did LDE. He was consistently drawing double teams. I'd like to see him get some snaps inside earlier against better competition.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:43 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: I think you have Still confused with somebody else.

I think he meant Brandon Thompson as a plug the hole type.
Reply/Quote
I thought his first step was pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:41 PM)Beaker Wrote: Hardison did ok at DT. But the caveat is that he only started doing ok when he was in there along side Williams (#69). That dude was disrupting everything. After one preseason game, he really caught my attention. I am excited to see how he does in future pre season games, and when he starts playing against 1s and 2s instead of third stringers. We may have found Geno's backup if he keeps it up.

Absolutely.  Let's hope that they both get to play DT against the twos next time.  The choice of nine DL from twelve will be brutal this year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:43 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: I think you have Still confused with somebody else.

Yep, good catch.

(08-15-2015, 03:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Hardison looked a hell of a lot better playing the the 1-tech than he did LDE. He was consistently drawing double teams. I'd like to see him get some snaps inside earlier against better competition.
That's what I'm saying.

And he might be a little light to be the plug-the-hole type, but I'm afraid that, if we made him gain weight, he'd lose some of his speed and agility, and that would make him easier to block on pass plays, which, I think, right now, with a bit more work, he has the abilities to shoot the gap and call for double teams.

Even if we just used him on passing downs, I think it would be completely worth it.

Atkins calling for double and triple teams, Hardison at least calling for attention, and who does the offense have left to block MJ, Dunlap, Clarke, etc.?  
(08-15-2015, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he meant Brandon Thompson as a plug the hole type.

Yes sir.

I was just re-watching it and was sick at how little Sims did and how he got pushed back so many times (aside from maybe one that I saw, and even that looked like someone just forgot to block him.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Hardison looked a hell of a lot better playing the the 1-tech than he did LDE. He was consistently drawing double teams. I'd like to see him get some snaps inside earlier against better competition.

Agree, I'd like to see him in a little earlier in the next game to see how he does against better competition.
He looked good against the 3rd's.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 09:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He looked good against the 3rd's.

Mainly due to Williams.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 03:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he meant Brandon Thompson as a plug the hole type.

[Image: cYEHZsL.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 09:36 PM)Beaker Wrote: Mainly due to Williams.

Yeah, if I had to choose between those two at this point, I'd lean towards Williams. Like to see what he does against twos and ones.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think if he has a future it is at DE. I fear he may be a poor man's Justin Smith; more designed for a 3-4.

WTS, it was just the first game of his rookie year, he still has time to show he can stand up in the middle.

This is what I genuinely kept thinking when I saw him on the field. 

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2015, 01:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: So i've been reading over some threads today and one thing I keep seeing is people crapping on Marcus Hardison.  I found this funny because all things considered I saw a ton of potential in the game.  Now lets keep things in perspective that he's stepping in at right end because Michael Johnson was out and he was gassed because of nerves almost the entire game; this was specifically something he talked about after the game.  That said both sacks were a direct result of his play.  Even the williams sack was because of his drawing a double team.  His sack looked great and the spin move was slick.  

Having a high football IQ being a former quarterback plus his natural size is something that could develop into a real special talent.  My hope is they kick him inside to backup peko and eventually replace him.  What did you guys think of his first game and do you have high hopes or concerns?

Who dey!

I loved the pick. I love his upside and versatility. I think he is farther along than Still and Hunt at this point in their careers and both made our team. I think he will only get bigger (weight) and stronger with more time over the years in the weight room.

I think Still could be in trouble. I think Peko (Sims) should be very concerned as well if the Bengals decide to go younger and also save 3 million (3.7 from Peko minus anyone they keep in his place).

I like Peko, but he needs to show he is not 2014 Peko who played too many snaps in camp. I think Sims may be the better of the two right now. I think Thompson could back up Sims in 2015.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote