Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Hardison
Marcus seems to be the "forgotten man" on our defensive line. He got virtually no action last year, but I think could pay dividends this year on passing downs rotating in for Peko.

I really like his motor and his "swat" move that created several fumbles in college.

The attached video shows some of his senior year highlights, and he had one of his biggest games against Notre Dame. The video tends to show his big plays several times, but it is a good video nonetheless.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxNV_oVerQ
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Right now he's fighting with Sims as the 5th man on the rotation.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I am afraid the Bengals are stunting his development by using him in the hybrid DE/DT position. He needs to concentrate full time on DT.
Reply/Quote
I think the team's plan for him is to replace Gillberry and having a guy that can play multiple positions on the line is a very valuable commodity. He's an ideal 5-technique DE anytime the team wants to run a 3-4 look.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am afraid the Bengals are stunting his development by using him in the hybrid DE/DT position.  He needs to concentrate full time on DT.

Well, most of his experience has been at DE (in college) but he has grown to where he can hold up in the middle.  It would seem to me that he would be the pass rushing DT that could spell Peko and have a rotation for MJ with Hunt or Clarke at RDE.

I don't really see Sims as a penetrator, more of a run-stuffing backup to Peko.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 10:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am afraid the Bengals are stunting his development by using him in the hybrid DE/DT position.  He needs to concentrate full time on DT.

Boy I hope you're wrong.  But they do that a lot and at the very least it takes players till they are on the verge of free agency to show.  Then they're gone.
Reply/Quote
As Fred said, he needs to concentrate fully on the DT position.

I like him a lot. And would honestly take him over every other DT right now besides Atkins, Peko, and Billings.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I like the cross training at DE and DT. Let Hunt and Clarke focus on DE, they need it and our depth there is more of a concern. With Atkins, Peko, Sims, and Billings we are looking good at DT. Hardison as the swing man taking over for Gillberry could be an improvement.
Reply/Quote

IDK he kinda needs to take over gilberrys role to get playing time.  at least while Peko and Sims and Geno and Billings are all still here.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 03:05 PM)3wt Wrote: Boy I hope you're wrong.  But they do that a lot and at the very least it takes players till they are on the verge of free agency to show.  Then they're gone.

not sure if they are stunting their growth or just cant justify playing them cause the others in front of them look better in practice.   when you are successful and have the starters returning guys like hardison have a hard time breaking into the lineup generally.

Heck just look at all the 1st round CBs sitting and its easy to see how that translates to other positions

They just gotta be ready for when its their turn which could be any snap after the next one.
Reply/Quote
He's just one of many draft and develop players with the Bengals. Just because you don't see a lot of him the first season or two doesn't mean he won't have a big impact down the road. It's a loaded roster which is a great problem to have. At least he's not being rushed into the line to sink or swim like so many teams do with players. I'm thinking Billings may have to do the same thing, take some time to develop to earn the spot on the line..Still, not a bad problem to have.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 04:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: not sure if they are stunting their growth or just cant justify playing them cause the others in front of them look better in practice.   when you are successful and have the starters returning guys like hardison have a hard time breaking into the lineup generally.

Heck just look at all the 1st round CBs sitting and its easy to see how that translates to other positions

They just gotta be ready for when its their turn which could be any snap after the next one.

Sometimes it's just waiting their turn, sometimes they slow the player's progress to being starter caliber (I think of David Pollack) and sometimes they appear not to know what they have, preferring the veteran players just because they're veterans - I think of Geno and Burfict.

I realize there is going to be a learning curve and you want to maximize a player's effectiveness and flexibility.  And I agree that there are times when it is counterproductive to just throw a guy in there before he's ready for it.  But I think the cold frame approach is not always the best one.  I'd like to see them use the preseason to let the rookies prove themselves against the 1st teamers.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2016, 03:05 PM)3wt Wrote: Boy I hope you're wrong.  But they do that a lot and at the very least it takes players till they are on the verge of free agency to show.  Then they're gone.
Don't forget. Marvy is the HC so it will continue...
Reply/Quote