Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana legalization will be on Ohio ballot but...
it's not as good as some may think. It looks like any commercial production will be limited to ten sites owned by, surprise, the creators of Responsible Ohio.

http://mantis.link/4y1Gvw-r
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
One of the farms is owned by The Big O, the other is owned by Frostee Rucker... <<---- Shocked
Legalize it....even in that form....as that ill lead to the next step.
Sure, 10 licenses to the highest bidder. Why not? Let Responsible Ohio submit their bids, just like anyone else.

Limiting what people can grow on their own just seems unnecessary.
(06-11-2015, 07:16 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sure, 10 licenses to the highest bidder.  Why not?  Let Responsible Ohio submit their bids, just like anyone else.

Beats what they have now. Got to start somewhere.
(06-11-2015, 07:16 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Sure, 10 licenses to the highest bidder.  Why not?  Let Responsible Ohio submit their bids, just like anyone else.

Their intent is to establish a monopoly on the supply IOT jack up the prices. Why limit the number of licenses?  Why not license anyone who can qualify for a license?
(06-12-2015, 08:34 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Beats what they have now.  Got to start somewhere.

Starting somewhere would be like medical marijuana.  This is starting and ending somewhere, and that's with a small amount of growers controlling all of the production.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-12-2015, 09:34 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Starting somewhere would be like medical marijuana.  This is starting and ending somewhere, and that's with a small amount of growers controlling all of the production.  

Nothing ever "ends" in politics.  Laws change.  I'd love to be able to visit Ohio and smoke a nice one.  Right now it is a crime to do so.  
(06-12-2015, 09:37 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Nothing ever "ends" in politics.  Laws change.  I'd love to be able to visit Ohio and smoke a nice one.  Right now it is a crime to do so.  

This is a ballot initiative.  I don't believe lawmakers could change everything.  It would take another ballot initiative to change it.

(06-12-2015, 10:07 AM)michaelsean Wrote: This is a ballot initiative.  I don't believe lawmakers could change everything.  It would take another ballot initiative to change it.

I'm not an expert on Ohio law.  That said another ballot initiative could be passed just like this one would have.
(06-12-2015, 10:21 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I'm not an expert on Ohio law.  That said another ballot initiative could be passed just like this one would have.

It's very tough.  The ten sites are going to be  locked in for a long time.   For a group aupposedly all about legalizing marijuana they sure seem to be restrictive about who can supply it commercially, and how much any individual can grow.

I'll probably end up voting for it just to get it behind us, but it's far from optimal.

(06-12-2015, 12:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It's very tough.  The ten sites are going to be  locked in for a long time.   For a group aupposedly all about legalizing marijuana they sure seem to be restrictive about who can supply it commercially, and how much any individual can grow.

I'll probably end up voting for it just to get it behind us, but it's far from optimal.

I don't know about Ohio, but in Indiana, you have to have a license to distribute booze.   There are only so many distributors in the state.  So theoretically this wouldn't be all that different. 

I'd grow my own plants anyway.  

Ultimately, it is the legal weed thing that interests me. 
(06-12-2015, 12:24 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: I don't know about Ohio, but in Indiana, you have to have a license to distribute booze.   There are only so many distributors in the state.  So theoretically this wouldn't be all that different. 

I'd grow my own plants anyway.  

Ultimately, it is the legal weed thing that interests me. 

This. 4 plants would be more than I need.
(06-12-2015, 12:33 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: This. 4 plants would be more than I need.

People are missing the forest for the trees.

Pun intended.  
(06-12-2015, 12:36 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: People are missing the forest for the trees.

Pun intended.  

Forgive me…where is the intended pun? I do love a good pun. (and no that is not remotely sarcastic) 
(06-12-2015, 12:42 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Forgive me…where is the intended pun? I do love a good pun. (and no that is not remotely sarcastic) 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smoke+trees
(06-12-2015, 01:07 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smoke+trees

Well if that didn't make me look a bit like a square….
(06-12-2015, 09:31 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Their intent is to establish a monopoly on the supply IOT jack up the prices. Why limit the number of licenses?  Why not license anyone who can qualify for a license?

I'm not saying the number is 10, but selling a limited number of licenses would mostly likely maximize the revenue.  That's in an auction, otherwise they can set a price and sell as many as they want (which will be determined by the price).

A limited number of wholesalers would seem to make more sense from a regulation standpoint.
I'd love to see it fully legalized, but I'm skeptical of Responsible Ohio.

I don't live in Ohio or partake in consuming the product. My job prevents me from doing so no matter what the law says. There are however other benefits of the economic variety that I would like to see reaped if it legalized. Limiting the market in this fashion would dampen the financial impact on the people of the state. Everyone that wants in should have a chance to compete. Let the consumer decide who succeeds, not bureaucracy.

The state and country need upstart industries like this, but letting a select few get all of the gravy is a bad idea.