Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marine commandant orders removal of Confederate paraphernalia at bases
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/484897-marine-commandant-orders-removal-of-confederate-paraphernalia-at-bases

Quote:The Marine Corps is calling for all paraphernalia related to the Confederacy to be removed from its bases around the world.

Commandant Gen. David Berger made the directive in a memo to senior staff that included a list of initiatives that he is "prioritizing for immediate execution," according to a copy obtained by Military.com. It is unclear if there is a deadline for removing paraphernalia containing Confederate symbols.

"Last week, the Commandant of the Marine Corps directed specific tasks be reviewed or addressed by Headquarters Marine Corps staff," Capt. Christopher Harrison, a spokesman, told The Hill. "Many of the tasks were published on Twitter Friday. Other tasks not published previously are mostly administrative matters."

"Any official policy decisions, changes or implementation plans will be published via appropriate orders and messages," he added.

The move comes as the presence of Confederate memorials and statues continues to spark fierce debate in the U.S. The military has also been at the center of that discussion — 10 Army bases are named after military leaders of Confederate states.

In addition, Military.com noted that the directive came just a week after a congressional hearing focused on a rise in extremism in the military.

More than a third of all active-duty troops say they have personally witnessed an example of white nationalism or ideologically driven racism from another person within their ranks in recent months, according to survey conducted by The Military Times.

Berger's memo also called for finding additional ways to move more women into combat roles and instructed officials to review the potential of yearlong maternity leave for female Marines. It also called for parental leave policies to be extended to same-sex partners.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-27-2020, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://thehill.com/policy/defense/484897-marine-commandant-orders-removal-of-confederate-paraphernalia-at-bases

We had a similar crackdown in the Army during the mid 90s. Barracks inspections. Tattoo inspections. Soldiers with tattoos deemed racist had the option of tattoo removal at no charge to them or separation from the military.

Seems like it needs to be done every generation.
oncemoreuntothejimbreech

We had a similar crackdown in the Army during the mid 90s. Barracks inspections. Tattoo inspections. Soldiers with tattoos deemed racist had the option of tattoo removal at no charge to them or separation from the military.

Does this mean anyone with a MAGA tattoo is deemed a racist?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-27-2020, 01:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Does this mean anyone with a MAGA tattoo is deemed a racist?

Is a MAGA tattoo Confederate imagery?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-27-2020, 01:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Does this mean anyone with a MAGA tattoo is deemed a racist?

(02-27-2020, 01:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Is a MAGA tattoo Confederate imagery?

I giggle when someone gets offended about something that was never said but they assumed it in their head.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-27-2020, 01:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: I giggle when someone gets offended about something that was never said but they assumed it in their head.

Pretty sure Oncearound said all tattoos that were deemed racist, either remove or separate from the Military. SO my question was mainly to him.

But hey, Guess I should have left his section quoted in my response so it wouldn't confuse all of you. I'll put it back.

Offended? Why would I be offended by someone having a MAGA tattoo or any tattoo for that matter?

What I do find offensive is how fast you like to Judge people.
(02-27-2020, 01:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Pretty sure Oncearound said all tattoos that were deemed racist, either remove or separate from the Military. SO my question was mainly to him.

But hey, Guess I should have left his section quoted in my response so it wouldn't confuse all of you. I'll put it back.

I highly doubt anyone in the chain of command would deem a MAGA tattoo in an of itself racist. Throw in some imagery from white nationalist organizations or racist symbols and yeah, it would be deemed racist then. Just like how reasonable people don't just assume a red hat is racist unless they see them at a racist rally, wearing something else indicating racism, or saying racist shit.

(02-27-2020, 01:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: oncemoreuntothejimbreech

Does this mean anyone with a MAGA tattoo is deemed a racist?

I wasn’t aware of MAGA tattoos or slogans in the mid 90s, so no. If it was MAGA with a Confederate flag background, yes.
(02-27-2020, 01:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Offended? Why would I be offended by someone having a MAGA tattoo or any tattoo for that matter?

Well if I was in the military and I was going to put my life in the hands of my fellow soldier who had a "Kill White People" tattoo I might be concerned.

(02-27-2020, 01:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What I do find offensive is how fast you like to Judge people.

Okay, snowflake, exactly who here judged someone "too fast"?
The Confederacy declared war on the United Sates.

Military bases are no place to honor our sworn enemies.
This nonsense should've been taken care of at the end of the Civil War when the south surrendered. It should have been written as an article into the Constitution then and there that any national flag other that the American flag being displayed and flown be considered an act of treason. We wouldn't have the problems were having today.
So down the road a bit from me, the guy who played Cooter on Dukes of Hazzard has a place. He sells a ton of of rebel flag shit and has a yearly shindig at his place that brings out all sorts. I was talking to a guy about it all who goes every year and he was giving me the typical "heritage not hate" bullshit. I then went to the online store and pointed out that they carried a book on the website singing the praises of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

There is no place for that.

(02-27-2020, 07:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Confederacy declared war on the United Sates.

Military bases are no place to honor our sworn enemies.

That is the best reason and should be the one used when talking about it. It's like the hat, just cause someone wears it, doesn't automatically make them a racist. Not everyone in the South was racists.

(02-28-2020, 01:10 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: This nonsense should've been taken care of at the end of the Civil War when the south surrendered. It should have been written as an article into the Constitution then and there that any national flag other that the American flag being displayed and flown be considered an act of treason. We wouldn't have the problems were having today.

That is a very good response and should definitely have happened.
(02-28-2020, 01:10 AM)BrownAssClown Wrote: This nonsense should've been taken care of at the end of the Civil War when the south surrendered. It should have been written as an article into the Constitution then and there that any national flag other that the American flag being displayed and flown be considered an act of treason. We wouldn't have the problems were having today.

Jesus really? I guess politics is a circle. That might be the most right wing thing I’ve ever seen here.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-28-2020, 09:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Jesus really?  I guess politics is a circle. That might be the most right wing thing I’ve ever seen here.

I don't know if I would label that "Right wing or Left wing" at all.  It seems to me that the point of incorporating Generals' names into military installations, was to work for the good will of reunification.  

Today, everyone wants to second guess the decisions of leaders past, in order to fit their current agenda.  However the point was to include the South, along with their pride back into the American Nation.

Now, I'm not saying that time hasn't come to abandon some of the memorabilia from that era, because it has.  I'm just saying that let's not forget why it was there, in the first place.  Those who don't remember history, are condemned to repeat it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-28-2020, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know if I would label that "Right wing or Left wing" at all.  It seems to me that the point of incorporating Generals' names into military installations, was to work for the good will of reunification.  

Today, everyone wants to second guess the decisions of leaders past, in order to fit their current agenda.  However the point was to include the South, along with their pride back into the American Nation.

Now, I'm not saying that time hasn't come to abandon some of the memorabilia from that era, because it has.  I'm just saying that let's not forget why it was there, in the first place.  Those who don't remember history, are condemned to repeat it.

This is one of those things I keep hearing and it's complete shit. We just finally put an end to having Lee-Jackson Day as a state holiday and I heard this constantly. Our legislature also passed a bill giving localities the ability to remove monuments to Confederates that are on public lands (cities did not have the authority to do this if they chose to until now) and it's all the same response.

No one is saying "let's never talk about this again." There are still going to be battlefields, museums, sections in history books, etc., etc. The idea that we are going to forget this history because we are deciding to no longer celebrate people that were literal traitors to the United States of America is ridiculous. Germany does just fine making sure their people know the history of Nazi Germany without having statues of Goebbel, Donitz, Keitel, or Himmler standing around or naming military installations after them.

(02-28-2020, 10:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know if I would label that "Right wing or Left wing" at all.  It seems to me that the point of incorporating Generals' names into military installations, was to work for the good will of reunification.  

Any national flag displayed or flown other than the US flag is treason?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-28-2020, 11:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Any national flag displayed or flown other than the US flag is treason?

I made no mention of a flag.  However, since you bring up flags..  Immigrants of various Nationalities have seen fit to display their respective flags at gatherings throughout the US, for quite some time..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-29-2020, 12:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I made no mention of a flag.  However, since you bring up flags..  Immigrants of various Nationalities have seen fit to display their respective flags at gatherings throughout the US, for quite some time..

Are there flags of Mexico or Russia on military bases? I have an Isreal flag outside of my house. I also have an American flag and a rainbow flag. I wouldn't expect our armed forces to display them. I hope that makes sense. 
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
(02-29-2020, 12:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I made no mention of a flag.  However, since you bring up flags..  Immigrants of various Nationalities have seen fit to display their respective flags at gatherings throughout the US, for quite some time..

My brother in law, Trump supporter by the way, flies an Italian Flag under his American flag almost year round on the pole in their front yard.

Pretty sure I'm more Italian than he is...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.