Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mario Soto freaks out or "Things You Don't See Anymore Due To Video Replay"
The Reds in the 80s were pretty forgettable before Rose returned so I guess that's why I don't remember this incident against the Cubs in 1984. I'm sure our local news in Alaska mentioned it in their little 3-5 minute nightly sports segment but ESPN wasn't available where we lived so I hadn't seen this until today. We we didn't get TBS, WOR, WGN and ESPN until late 1985 when me moved to an area that already had cable.

The video was quite deteriorated before the upload so you can't see the ball, one thing that's not pointed out by the announcers is that when they show the replay over and over, they are only focusing on the ball . . . if the kept the video rolling, you don't see the fans instantly jumping up and down in excitement because they just witnessed a three run Home Run. They are all still indifferent because they all knew it was just another foul ball down the line.

Replay has almost eliminated the need for Managers like Earl Weaver and Sweet Lou Piniella. The only arguments you really see now are the forbidden "Balls And Strikes" arguments with the Home Plate umpire or like last years "Why did you warn both teams when we haven't thrown at anybody?"

Does anybody recall any of this? I had heard that Mario was a hot head but I had seen any evidence of that until here.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I've watched it on youtube a few times but don't remember if I watched it live. Too far back to remember. I do know that even as crappy as the video is, it was obvious it was a foul ball. If you see were the fans reach up to catch it to the left of the pole, it makes it impossible to curl around the pole and land there. How the ump initially calls fair is beyond me. Everything else is avoided if he makes the right call from the start.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think I watched the game live but it seems I do remember hearing about it on the news ? It was no doubt a foul ball as has been pointed out, by the fans. If you stop the video at just the right frame it appears you can see the ball and it's well foul.

And I have to agree I'm not so sure I like all the rule changes in baseball ? All this speeding up the game stuff. Everything isn't meant to be ultra fast, internet, social media speed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the replay has netted very little. Before instant replay, umps made bad calls in favor of every team so I doubt the final win total was much affected. I guess when the game counts it can make a slight difference. I am old school and think you should beat a team bad enough that a bad call doesn't affect the outcome. In other words, whoop their arse so there is no controversy.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Elimination, or even reduction of, the human error factor in the officiating of competitive sports has been an ongoing task, since competitive sports became a thing. Sure, video replay points out the few times that the human officials on the scene get it wrong, but gives little credence to the overwhelming majority of calls, some of them "bang, bang", that the human officials get correct.

In games played by actual humans, it's only natural for a little human error to happen on the part of judgement calls. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 10:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Elimination, or even reduction of, the human error factor in the officiating of competitive sports has been an ongoing task, since competitive sports became a thing.  Sure, video replay points out the few times that the human officials on the scene get it wrong, but gives little credence to the overwhelming majority of calls, some of them "bang, bang", that the human officials get correct.

In games played by actual humans, it's only natural for a little human error to happen on the part of judgement calls.  Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth..

Most of the time you're right but in this case it wasn't even close.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2020, 10:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Elimination, or even reduction of, the human error factor in the officiating of competitive sports has been an ongoing task, since competitive sports became a thing. Sure, video replay points out the few times that the human officials on the scene get it wrong, but gives little credence to the overwhelming majority of calls, some of them "bang, bang", that the human officials get correct.

In games played by actual humans, it's only natural for a little human error to happen on the part of judgement calls. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth..

Most of the time these humans get the call right. The problem is that when a single call can make a win a loss then actual accuracy seems more important to me. You still need human judgment after the review, so it’s a tool to assist in making accurate calls.
Reply/Quote