Poll: Should the team cut Mark Walton for his off-the-field arrests and behavior?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Walton Arrested
(02-21-2019, 01:02 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm sure it was Marvin's doing. He loves hard luck cases.

And don't forget Mike the Great Redeemer, the guy who overruled Marvin on bringing back Slim one more time and gave Adam Jones umpteen one more chances.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 11:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While these incidents might look petty in nature, particularly when viewed as individual entities, combined they show a patter of behavior that we've seen before.  Young man from the streets gets some pro sports money in his pocket, then proceeds to demonstrate bad behavior.  I think the team needs to cut this guy, now.  By allowing him to remain, it only reinforces to Walton that his behavior is acceptable, because he's an athlete.  If you or I were caught in possession of illegal drugs, then went on to get arrested for assaulting a female a month later, we'd likely have been canned from our jobs before the week began..

My son, not living up to his potential went and got busted for DUI, wrecked his truck, got it impounded for good, sent to the pokey then when he got out was drowning his sorrows and got into it with his old lady and sent right back to the pokey.. He's paid for it for the past few years now and after two years of probation, untold fines, etc, still has to go spend 3 days in the slammer to finish his case.. He lost his job, apartment, truck, gf and just about everything else.. 
He really went into a tailspin and finally quit drinking at least for now..  As his dad I just want to slap him sillier than he already is. Luckily he didn't have an NFL contract to screw up.. 
All this nonsense is the main reason I completely gave up on drinking..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Starting a fan poll series to let the team know what The Bengals Board users see as good, bad and so-so moves by the team. We're all fans here and at least post about the team. Many of us have played organized football at some level.

So the first poll is:

Should the team cut Mark Walton for his off-the-field arrests and behavior?

Specifically, he's been arrested twice in the last two months. Once for marijuana possession when he was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt and the police smelled it (meaning he had been smoking it in the car) and a second time for assault where he was the instigator.

In light of the fact that the team wants an improved culture in the locker room would cutting Mark Walton be the right thing to do?

His statistics are: 14 carries for 34 yards 0 TDs and 5 catches for 41 yards.

He can be replaced in either the draft or free agency with ease.

Reply/Quote
In my mind without a doubt yes. If ZT wants to turn the culture around here it's the perfect way to start.
Reply/Quote
I voted yes.

Two incidents of stupidity in one off season, terrible play as a rookie, a new coach who did not draft him and setting the tone for his regime. Add it all up and it says wish him well and send him packing.

Interestingly enough, I just watched a video of Taylor in the locker room tslking about the new DC and, over his left shoulder and behind him, Walton's locker.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
I said no because my own son made some stupid decisions when he was young, even more stupid than ones that I made at his age. Now, he's having a hard time finding a job that would allow him to live an independent life. Even the Army is giving him a hard time. He's in the middle of a waiver process with them right now, and it's hard helping with the application process. Saying yes to questions like "have you ever been arrested?" "Have you ever been arrested for drugs." "Have you ever been convicted?" "Have you ever done court-ordered rehab?" As a parent, it's hard knowing your kid has to answer YES to those questions.

So, I'm a little more sympathetic with Walton right now. Hopefully, this has come as a shock to him and he'll straighten up. I thought he looked decent in the few chances he got during the regular season. I'd prefer not to have waste a draft pick on a 3rd down RB.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Make like Lorena Bobbitt and CUT!
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:51 PM)impactplaya Wrote:  I said yep he would have been undrafted. 
he was a reach pick in rd 4. 
if was taken in rds 5 6.7 then yeah its not so bad.
but in rd 4.....you can a atarter or a solid contributor in rd 4.
look around the league.
I saw nothing special in him in his body of work. 
when Gio was out he did nothing to justify his 4th rd selection.
Hill and Carson were better RBs in preseason. 
but since he was drafted in RD 4. and he failed to make plays..HES A BUST. 
the Bengals could have a signed a undrsfted college RB and 
got the same production.
sorry but Tuke Dobin cant afford to miss on even 4th Rd picks

First please post those that evaluate the drafts were he wa projected 6,7 round. Second do you know how many players would be a bust by not having a impressive rookie year.  Why don't you be honests that you didn't like the pick and because of that it has bias  your opinion greatly
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 09:27 PM)Shady Wrote: I said no because my own son made some stupid decisions when he was young, even more stupid than ones that I made at his age. Now, he's having a hard time finding a job that would allow him to live an independent life. Even the Army is giving him a hard time. He's in the middle of a waiver process with them right now, and it's hard helping with the application process. Saying yes to questions like "have you ever been arrested?" "Have you ever been arrested for drugs." "Have you ever been convicted?" "Have you ever done court-ordered rehab?" As a parent, it's hard knowing your kid has to answer YES to those questions.

So, I'm a little more sympathetic with Walton right now. Hopefully, this has come as a shock to him and he'll straighten up. I thought he looked decent in the few chances he got during the regular season. I'd prefer not to have waste a draft pick on a 3rd down RB.

Shady,

I feel for you. And your son. Drugs ruin people's lives. People, and officials (cough, cough), who support the expansion of drugs into our culture want people ruined, otherwise they'd support the opposite. Obviously.

One of my cousins that I was very close to growing up (think 60s and 70s) went down that road and ended up in prison for years. He didn't get out until he was in his 50s (he's younger than me) and now he's doing odd mechanic jobs in Columbus. I didn't recognize him in a photo someone showed me last year.

Your son is young and has many, many tomorrows ahead of him. This will pass for him if he keeps his nose clean. He just needs to get into a job where he can show that he can be a productive member of a team and that he has value and produces good products. People know you by your products. It doesn't matter whether it's the latest beautifully designed auto or a well bagged basket of groceries, people know you by the quality of work you do. It may be a slow road and today the young people expect everything to happen in a minute or two, but in the real world people don't believe their ears when someone says things have changed, they only seem to believe when they see it with their eyes. So the answer is to let people see the good side and then they can be won over.

As for Walton, he's highly paid and is in a position to influence others and he's been showing his ugly side to the world. There are other jobs out there for him in the NFL or whatever other leagues there are. Walton hasn't done quality work for the Bengals.

Chris

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 12:48 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: First please post those that evaluate the drafts were he wa projected 6,7 round. Second do you know how many players would be a bust by not having a impressive rookie year.  Why don't you be honests that you didn't like the pick and because of that it has bias  your opinion greatly

One profile--

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mark-walton?id=32462018-0002-5600-31f4-cfeb568d66bc

Projected round--4,5

Todd McShay calls Walton Bengals best value pick.

This one projects him as a second rounder--

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Miami-Hurricanes-RB-Mark-Walton-Projected-As-2nd-Round-Pick-In-Mock-Draft-113777196/

This one, round 3, 4--

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1002740&draftyear=2018&genpos=RB

This one just says day 2--

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/01/16/mark-walton-nfl-draft-profile/

Really don't see anything projecting him being undrafted anywhere.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 01:44 AM)McC Wrote: One profile--

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mark-walton?id=32462018-0002-5600-31f4-cfeb568d66bc

Projected round--4,5

Todd McShay calls Walton Bengals best value pick.

This one projects him as a second rounder--

https://247sports.com/college/miami/Article/Miami-Hurricanes-RB-Mark-Walton-Projected-As-2nd-Round-Pick-In-Mock-Draft-113777196/

This one, round 3, 4--

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1002740&draftyear=2018&genpos=RB

This one just says day 2--

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/01/16/mark-walton-nfl-draft-profile/

Really don't see anything projecting him being undrafted anywhere.

Absolutely...IF Walton were healthy his entire junior year, he may have been a 2nd Round pick. Probably atleast a 3rd.

I'm not so sure why people hate on this pick so much. He definitely has a dynamic skillset. He was basically the Hurricanes entire offense 2 years ago until he got injured.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In my mind without a doubt yes. If ZT wants to turn the culture around here it's the perfect way to start.

That's a slippery slope to waive a guy before due process plays out.

Many fans on this board stood by Burfict thru all his suspensions and dirty hits on the field until his play fell off. Do you start waiving guys for personnel fouls?

What if a great players get in trouble off the field? Do you waive them?

Plus, what if the accusations are false? Sometimes people do this to extort money. 
Reply/Quote
Too bad he can't be traded for one of those coveted 93rd round compensation picks! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a slippery slope to waive a guy before due process plays out.

Many fans on this board stood by Burfict thru all his suspensions and dirty hits on the field until his play fell off. Do you start waiving guys for personnel fouls?

Plus, what if the accusations are false? Sometimes people do this to extort money. 

I can see the points, but there's the flip side.

Due process can take years. The "slippery slope" is real life. Any business is free to ( in most situations ) free to get rid of people. Have seen plenty lose jobs over social media posts. When you work for someone, they can choose when they just don't want you around anymore.

Great players have been waived. Kareem Hunt and Reuben Foster come to mind. I'm sure the leash varies. Big Ben is accused of sexual assault and is forgiven by all. Practice squad player popped with weed, he is gone. That is real life, not just football. Most who follow the NFL don't know who Walton is, and the Bengals didn't want what he has become known for.

While it is true people do things to extort money, why him? Gio is more well known and has more money; why not him? Why not AJ Green or Dalton for that matter? Simply, they don't put themselves in those situations. Guilt may be a matter for the courts, but misbehavior is what his employer chooses to act on. 

Bye Walton. 
Reply/Quote
If it were one arrest since he got here, then no. But it's his 2nd, which show he just isn't getting it. Cut him....
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a slippery slope to waive a guy before due process plays out.

Burfict's most classic moment.

[Image: original.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 01:37 PM)McC Wrote: And don't forget Mike the Great Redeemer, the guy who overruled Marvin on bringing back Slim one more time and gave Adam Jones umpteen one more chances.

That totally undermined Marvin's rule and I don't think that team recovered from that and Chad trying to choke Hue in the lockerroom during the playoff loss.

Much like the current team didn't recover from the Steelers playoff game meltdown.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2019, 10:43 PM)Destro Wrote: I can see the points, but there's the flip side.

Due process can take years. The "slippery slope" is real life. Any business is free to ( in most situations ) free to get rid of people. Have seen plenty lose jobs over social media posts. When you work for someone, they can choose when they just don't want you around anymore.

Great players have been waived. Kareem Hunt and Reuben Foster come to mind. I'm sure the leash varies. Big Ben is accused of sexual assault and is forgiven by all. Practice squad player popped with weed, he is gone. That is real life, not just football. Most who follow the NFL don't know who Walton is, and the Bengals didn't want what he has become known for.

While it is true people do things to extort money, why him? Gio is more well known and has more money; why not him? Why not AJ Green or Dalton for that matter? Simply, they don't put themselves in those situations. Guilt may be a matter for the courts, but misbehavior is what his employer chooses to act on. 

Bye Walton. 

True...but we drafted Joe Mixon who severely punched a woman.

So your standard for waiving Walton is because he's not a star player right now...but IF AJ Green did something similar you'd look the other way? (Note: Green would NEVER do something like this.)
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2019, 04:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Burfict's most classic moment.

[Image: original.gif]

Yep. And fans stood by him...until his play declined. Then, they wanted him waived.
Reply/Quote
To clarify: My point is you either have standards or you don't. You can't waive a player just because he's currently not a starter and then if a starter does the same thing, keep him.

Your organizational culture will become the worst thing that you tolerate.
Reply/Quote