Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing to people with money
When I travel I usually stay at modest places - LaQuinta, Red Roof Inn, that sort of place. Occasionally I will end up somewhere nicer - like a Hyatt. I have not paid for internet service in a room for at least 10 years - including trips to Europe and Central America. Free wifi is a pretty standard offering even at really crummy places like a Days Inn. Recently I checked into a Westin, where I was informed that for only $14 a day I could have internet service in my room, but if I joined the free rewards program I would get FREE internet. Considering it is free at even the cheapest places, this seemed really weird. First it was weird because I had to think really hard to remember the last time it wasn't free. And, since it is something I just assumed was free, the $14 a day price seemed really insane. Then I thought, well maybe the people who stay at the Westin just fork it over, or maybe they like being told (as I heard a customer checking out when I checked in being told) "Oh, Mrs. Silverspooninyoursnatch, I see you have $56 in internet charges, but of course, as a member of our rewards program, you won't be paying those!" Then she walks out with her nose just a bit in the air looking at me like, "Yeah, that's right a-hole, I am a member of an exclusive club and they GIVE me that because I am SPECIAL." Fifteen minutes later I was in the same special club and annoyed that it took extra time to check in and wondering if all higher end places have to dream up moronic marketing ploys like this to make the privileged feel privileged. Do people with coin think differently and really think they are getting something special in a goofy situation like this?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Is she related to the Cincinnati Silverspooninyoursnatch's? Nice family.

I've not stayed at a Westin in my travels, but I must admit my nose goes in the air each time I slap that Kroger card down at the checkout. 'Look what I saved, bitches!' I would seem to be saying.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Yeah they all want our info now so they can track it and market to us... Plus they wanna be able to buy and sell lists I'm sure.   Those lists are the most important thing.   That's why Facebook is rolling in the dough.   People just give away all their details for them to sell.
Reply/Quote
Stayed at the Hyatt-Regency in NO, LA last month (work for her, so the company paid).  Apparently the regular price for the room we were put in was $349/night (we had a special rate due to the conference).  There was free wi-fi, but it was slow and on a public network.  To be on a secure broadband network cost extra.  Since I was not in the room often, I saw no need to pay...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is becoming more and more common. Another way to make money, similar to the airlines. Trends like this always start at the places that cater to higher end clients.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
This is pretty standard. I haven't seen it in a while, but hotels used to charge $15 a night for internet. I guess the budget/mid-tier hotels were the first to give.

I thought it was robbery. And many times the hotel wifi is absurdly slow. Thats why I tether with my unlimited data.

And I'd guess it's not about gouging rich people, but taking advantage of corporate travel expenses. I've seen many policies that WON'T pay for hotel internet. So when you start talking corporate, there's already often discounts negotiated.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2015, 09:28 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Is she related to the Cincinnati Silverspooninyoursnatch's?  Nice family.

I've not stayed at a Westin in my travels, but I must admit my nose goes in the air each time I slap that Kroger card down at the checkout.  'Look what I saved, bitches!' I would seem to be saying.

No, these are the east coast Silverspooninyoursnatches.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 01:22 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: This is becoming more and more common. Another way to make money, similar to the airlines. Trends like this always start at the places that cater to higher end clients.

I would expect similar backlash. I mean, if I know (because I talked to a poor person once) that when he went on vacation he stayed in a place and for $58 a night he got free cable and internet and when I went and paid $138 a night (or more) and I got an up charge for either I would be pissed and/or shopping for a new place to stay.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2015, 05:46 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This is pretty standard.  I haven't seen it in a while, but hotels used to charge $15 a night for internet.  I guess the budget/mid-tier hotels were the first to give.

I thought it was robbery.  And many times the hotel wifi is absurdly slow.  Thats why I tether with my unlimited data.

And I'd guess it's not about gouging rich people, but taking advantage of corporate travel expenses.  I've seen many policies that WON'T pay for hotel internet.  So when you start talking corporate, there's already often discounts negotiated.

But most corporate entities sending travelers count on them being able to work while there hence need internet and most are penny pinchers (granted they pinch harder on salaries than travel costs but still..) making charging for something others give away seem a sure fire way to lose business.
Reply/Quote