Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Markus Bailey
For whatever reasons ? He's one of those back of the roster players I've always been pulling for. I think we all adopt those guys from time to time.

I'm just wondering if he can finally break thru and become a solid player for the Bengals. He flashed in a couple games last season. And if you look at his college career it was pretty dang good if not for getting derailed by two ACL's.

Anyways, he's my dark horse to take his game up a notch this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I liked the pick in terms of risk vs reward when it was made due to his pedigree and body of work at Purdue. Even if he provides solid as depth and worthy ST snaps, it was a good pick, and I’m w u in seein a little potential for some additional upside.
Reply/Quote
Great player. I said the day he was drafted "They just fixed their LB room" after they also picked up Logan Wilson and ADG earlier in the draft. They already had two starters in 2nd year player Pratt and FA Bynes so Wilson and ADG were the immediate backups so Bailey had time to recover without having to fight for a spot. He was basically being groomed for being the active game day roster replacement for Bynes as everyone moved up in the pecking order as Bynes was just an AFC North veteran placeholder for a year until the rookies got more used to the system and being a professional athlete.

To me, he seems kind of like a Zach Thomas type of LB in a way that he's a bit undersized but he appears to read the game faster than most defenders. Those are the type of players where you throw 40 times out the window. Who cares if he's fast if he's almost always two or three steps behind every play? I want someone that will force a ball carrier to make an extra cut and slow down the play by disrupting it than have a guy that is better at chasing a ball carrier down 30 yards down the field.

Bailey has shown that he has a nose for the football and is not much of a drop off from Wilson or Pratt.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I thought he looked really good in his limited PT last season. Really flashed a few times. Making a big 3rd/4th down stop on a difficult play some time late in the season sticks out. Hopefully he gets more opportunities this season. However, with ADG coming back the field is just going to get more crowded. I'm really pulling for Markus though!
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:21 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Great player. I said the day he was drafted "They just fixed their LB room" after they also picked up Logan Wilson and ADG earlier in the draft. They already had two starters in 2nd year player Pratt and FA Bynes so Wilson and ADG were the immediate backups so Bailey had time to recover without having to fight for a spot. He was basically being groomed for being the active game day roster replacement for Bynes as everyone moved up in the pecking order as Bynes was just an AFC North veteran placeholder for a year until the rookies got more used to the system and being a professional athlete.

To me, he seems kind of like a Zach Thomas type of LB in a way that he's a bit undersized but B]he appears to read the game faster than most defenders.[/B] Those are the type of players where you throw 40 times out the window. Who cares if he's fast if he's almost always two or three steps behind every play? I want someone that will force a ball carrier to make an extra cut and slow down the play by disrupting it than have a guy that is better at chasing a ball carrier down 30 yards down the field.

Bailey has shown that he has a nose for the football and is not much of a drop off from Wilson or Pratt.

That's one of the things that jumped out at me watching him in college. He has very good football instincts. He's just one of those guys that seems to possess this 6th football sense. It's something that's hard to teach you just have to have it.

I'm hoping he takes a big step forward this year and can contribute to the LBer rotation. And perhaps more ?
Reply/Quote
On film Joe Bachie looked alot better than Bailey. Markus Bailey was slow and struggled in coverage. He could prove wrong but I expect him to be buried on the depth chart under Bachie again in 2022.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 08:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For whatever reasons ? He's one of those back of the roster players I've always been pulling for. I think we all adopt those guys from time to time.

I'm just wondering if he can finally break thru and become a solid player for the Bengals. He flashed in a couple games last season. And if you look at his college career it was pretty dang good if not for getting derailed by two ACL's.

Bailey got an opportunity, finally healthy, to show what he could do in a four game stretch (Denver, Baltimore, KC, and Cleveland) where he played 34, 46, 48, and 66 snaps, respectively.  He seemed to get better (understandably) the more he played.  

What I like best about Bailey is his instincts and football IQ.  He's plenty athletic, but I will never forget when Purdue beat Ohio State.  He was a one man wrecking crew.  Sniffed out every misdirection play, screen, etc.  He pretty much beat Ohio State himself.  As upset as I was at the time, I wrote his name down in my "draft hopefuls" book right after the game.  

I feel really good with him as a depth contributor to this defense and a quality special teamer as well.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:56 PM)Synric Wrote: On film Joe Bachie looked alot better than Bailey. Markus Bailey was slow and struggled in coverage. He could prove wrong but I expect him to be buried on the depth chart under Bachie again in 2022.

Actually, their coverage grades were quite similar, but Bailey had a better run defense grade.  I like Bachie as well, and maybe his ability to stay healthy will put him ahead of Bailey, but I still favor Bailey a bit more given his instincts.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:56 PM)Synric Wrote: On film Joe Bachie looked alot better than Bailey. Markus Bailey was slow and struggled in coverage. He could prove wrong but I expect him to be buried on the depth chart under Bachie again in 2022.

He wasn't buried behind Bachie this year.  With ADG out Bailey played more snaps than Bachie against the Raiders and Steelers before getting injured himself against the Chargers.

Bachie did play well off the bench, but then he also missed the end of the season with an injury of his own.

I'd say it is a toss up between them.  I like the Bailey pick because of how well he played in college before getting injured.  But Bachi has a very similar story.  In his sophomore and junior seasons at Michigan State he had 202 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks and 4 ints.  He was playing even better as a senior before getting suspended for PEDs the middle of his senior year.

I don't care which one wins out.  I guess I like Bailey better because we drafted him, but I got nothing against Bachie.
Reply/Quote
I don't remember a time the Bengals had 5 solid LBers much less 3.. I wonder what the odds all 5 make it through the 17 game season all healthy.. I think the odds are better that my coffee cup will learn the fly on it's own power, but I could be wrong..
I like em all..  I hope one or more rookies come through as well.. Hicks, Wells? Any ideas? both are CFA's..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 10:21 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Great player. I said the day he was drafted "They just fixed their LB room" after they also picked up Logan Wilson and ADG earlier in the draft. They already had two starters in 2nd year player Pratt and FA Bynes so Wilson and ADG were the immediate backups so Bailey had time to recover without having to fight for a spot. He was basically being groomed for being the active game day roster replacement for Bynes as everyone moved up in the pecking order as Bynes was just an AFC North veteran placeholder for a year until the rookies got more used to the system and being a professional athlete.

To me, he seems kind of like a Zach Thomas type of LB in a way that he's a bit undersized but he appears to read the game faster than most defenders. Those are the type of players where you throw 40 times out the window. Who cares if he's fast if he's almost always two or three steps behind every play? I want someone that will force a ball carrier to make an extra cut and slow down the play by disrupting it than have a guy that is better at chasing a ball carrier down 30 yards down the field.

good comparison to Zach Thomas, I think Baily maybe faster but Thomas had more pop in tackling
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2022, 08:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For whatever reasons ? He's one of those back of the roster players I've always been pulling for. I think we all adopt those guys from time to time.

(06-26-2022, 10:32 PM)wcu Wrote: I thought he looked really good in his limited PT last season. Really flashed a few times. Making a big 3rd/4th down stop on a difficult play some time late in the season sticks out. Hopefully he gets more opportunities this season. However, with ADG coming back the field is just going to get more crowded. I'm really pulling for Markus though!

I wouldn't say he played limited snaps, there was just an influx towards the end of the year and when he was playing hurt earlier in the year, he was just seeing a snap or two... He also played over half of the STs snaps on the year, so he play a decent amount.

… I wouldn't say that; Bachie didn't look any better in 1 game than Bailey did all year, whether instincts, results or otherwise (save for Detroit, where Bachie was seemingly in on every play in the 4th quarter).

Bailey's the better player all-around.

(06-27-2022, 09:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He wasn't buried behind Bachie this year.  With ADG out Bailey played more snaps than Bachie against the Raiders and Steelers before getting injured himself against the Chargers.

Bachie did play well off the bench, but then he also missed the end of the season with an injury of his owns.

I'd say it is a toss up between them.  I like the Bailey pick because of how well he played in college before getting injured.  But Bachi has a very similar story.  In his sophomore and junior seasons at Michigan State he had 202 tackles, 16.5 TFL, 3.5 sacks and 4 ints.  He was playing even better as a senior before getting suspended for PEDs the middle of his senior year.

I don't care which one wins out.  I guess I like Bailey better because we drafted him, but I got nothing against Bachie.

This is exactly it for me as well; I like Bailey a lot more, but they are very similar, with Bailey being the better overall player, I feel.

But regardless of who plays more, doesn't really matter to me.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 10:48 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Bailey's the better player all-around.

He was on the 53 man roster while Bachie was on the Practice squad.  And Bailey played more defensive snaps than Bachie (256 to 160).

Not much difference in their production, but I did notice that Bailey was used on a blitz 8 times while Bachie was only used once. But I believe that Bachie was playing inside while Logan Wilson was out and Bailey was playing outside.  So that may account for him being used a little differently.
Reply/Quote
Sure is fun to see fans fighting over our back ups potentially being solid starters. That type of depth separates the great teams from the good to bad teams. Injuries will happen, so good to see we have some guys who got experience in 2021. That goes for our OL as well, we had a lot of OL who played, some better than others, but they got experience. A saying goes experience is your best teacher and I think we have the position coaches to be able to take weaknesses seen in newer players and make them better the following year.

I like our Roster, not perfect, but no NFL roster can be due to the salary cap. All a team can do is build the entire 53 and the practice squad to get better each year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like our Roster, not perfect, but no NFL roster can be due to the salary cap. All a team can do is build the entire 53 and the practice squad to get better each year.

A while back there was a thread about our lack of depth and one of the positions mentioned was LB.

I actually feel pretty good about our LB corps.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A while back there was a thread about our lack of depth and one of the positions mentioned was LB.

I actually feel pretty good about our LB corps.

Agree, I veel better about our LBers than I have in quite a bit.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 08:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Bailey got an opportunity, finally healthy, to show what he could do in a four game stretch (Denver, Baltimore, KC, and Cleveland) where he played 34, 46, 48, and 66 snaps, respectively.  He seemed to get better (understandably) the more he played.  

What I like best about Bailey is his instincts and football IQ.  He's plenty athletic, but I will never forget when Purdue beat Ohio State.  He was a one man wrecking crew.  Sniffed out every misdirection play, screen, etc.  He pretty much beat Ohio State himself.  As upset as I was at the time, I wrote his name down in my "draft hopefuls" book right after the game.  

I feel really good with him as a depth contributor to this defense and a quality special teamer as well.  

For sure ! It was like there was 3 of him out there. I watched him in a couple other games that season and he was like you say a one man wrecking crew in those games as well.
Reply/Quote

Nice thread on Markus. Very instinctive Linebacker. He knows the game, is very smart and is around the ball. I like your pick as a 
darkhorse even though mine is ADG at LB. I just think ADG has immense talent and could blow up and be a legit star. Logan Wilson
is already a stud I just don't want to jinx the fellow Wyomin' brother. ADG was always going to be raw but the talent is undeniable.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread on Markus. Very instinctive Linebacker. He knows the game, is very smart and is around the ball. I like your pick as a 
darkhorse even though mine is ADG at LB. I just think ADG has immense talent and could blow up and be a legit star. Logan Wilson
is already a stud I just don't want jinx the fellow Wyomin' brother. ADG was always going to be raw but the talent is undeniable.

For sure

I'm just hoping Bailey develops into what I think he can be and we have some decent depth at LBer for a change. A bunch of the last several seasons we've been bad at LBer and had little to no depth.

Hoping that's in the past Joe
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 01:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure

I'm just hoping Bailey develops into what I think he can be and we have some decent depth at LBer for a change. A bunch of the last several seasons we've been bad at LBer and had little to no depth.

Hoping that's in the past Joe

Betcher should help, this guy was a great pickup after Golden leaving to Notre Dame.
Reply/Quote