Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Markus Bailey and the best use of late round picks
I just wanted to say BIG props to Markus Bailey on his great game yesterday. It wasn't Game Ball material, necessarily, but he had half a sack, a pass defensed, a QB hit , 5 tackles and played within his role well. He and Bachie have played admirably in Wilson and ADG's absence. It's really nice having quality depth at a position that we've traditionally struggled to fill.

Bailey's play makes me think back to that draft. He was considered by some draft analysts to be a 2nd or 3rd round talent, but he fell to the 7th round because of injury concerns. And I'd like to talk about that, because I think Bailey is the kind of pick you should make in the 6th and 7th rounds. Those picks are incredibly low risk anyway, since the percentage chance of a 6th or 7th round pick making the roster in their first year is only about 30% anyway. So, in circumstances like that, why do teams not take a flyer on highly talented "injured" or "injury risk" players more often?

Trey Smith is another excellent example of a 2nd or 3rd round talent that fell due to injury concerns and look how he's played in his rookie year. We could have had Smith in the 6th this year, but chose Trey Hill instead. I know we drafted Hill because we had no depth at center with Price and Hopkins both in the final years of their deals, but man, it would have been nice to draft a guy like Smith there.

I hope Bailey's play encourages the Bengals to take a few more calculated risks like this in future drafts.
Reply/Quote
Yeah I was super excited to see him finally get some extended PT and he didn't disappoint. I feel very comfortable with him and Pratt manning the helm.

Any word on Bachie? He's filled in admirably.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:42 AM)wcu Wrote: Yeah I was super excited to see him finally get some extended PT and he didn't disappoint. I feel very comfortable with him and Pratt manning the helm.

Any word on Bachie? He's filled in admirably.

Most likely done for the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just wanted to say BIG props to Markus Bailey on his great game yesterday. It wasn't Game Ball material, necessarily, but he had half a sack, a pass defensed, a QB hit , 5 tackles and played within his role well. He and Bachie have played admirably in Wilson and ADG's absence. It's really nice having quality depth at a position that we've traditionally struggled to fill.

Bailey's play makes me think back to that draft. He was considered by some draft analysts to be a 2nd or 3rd round talent, but he fell to the 7th round because of injury concerns. And I'd like to talk about that, because I think Bailey is the kind of pick you should make in the 6th and 7th rounds. Those picks are incredibly low risk anyway, since the percentage chance of a 6th or 7th round pick making the roster in their first year is only about 30% anyway. So, in circumstances like that, why do teams not take a flyer on highly talented "injured" or "injury risk" players more often?

Trey Smith is another excellent example of a 2nd or 3rd round talent that fell due to injury concerns and look how he's played in his rookie year. We could have had Smith in the 6th this year, but chose Trey Hill instead. I know we drafted Hill because we had no depth at center with Price and Hopkins both in the final years of their deals, but man, it would have been nice to draft a guy like Smith there.

I hope Bailey's play encourages the Bengals to take a few more calculated risks like this in future drafts.

Preaching to the choir :)

After seeing his numbers and production at Purdue, then hearing his post-draft interview, he struck me as the most-intelligent/well-spoken draft pick of 2020 (after Joe, of course).

You can be less-athletic at LB if you have the smarts and knowledge (see Burfict) and Bailey IS athletic, so put both together and you have the makings of a good player.

Just need him to stay healthy and consistent.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 12:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Preaching to the choir :)

After seeing his numbers and production at Purdue, then hearing his post-draft interview, he struck me as the most-intelligent/well-spoken draft pick of 2020 (after Joe, of course).

You can be less-athletic at LB if you have the smarts and knowledge (see Burfict) and Bailey IS athletic, so put both together and you have the makings of a good player.

Just need him to stay healthy and consistent.

agreed, Bailey is filling in well but now that Bachie is our for yr, who can we count on for depth?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 01:01 PM)kalibengal Wrote: agreed, Bailey is filling in well but now that Bachie is our for yr, who can we count on for depth?

Think Bailey will step in there and the backup will fall on Keandre Jones or Calitro.

Also could get Logan back this week. Not sure of course, but the door was open, if he was healthy.
Reply/Quote
ADG gives Marcus a hard time about his sack celebration...or lack thereof one

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 11:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I just wanted to say BIG props to Markus Bailey on his great game yesterday. It wasn't Game Ball material, necessarily, but he had half a sack, a pass defensed, a QB hit , 5 tackles and played within his role well. He and Bachie have played admirably in Wilson and ADG's absence. It's really nice having quality depth at a position that we've traditionally struggled to fill.

Nice thread CJD even if you are reiterating your Trey Smith love ha ha

I still like the Trey Hill pick who I think is about the exact same type of pick as Bailey who DID have a great game yesterday.

The thing about Bailey is if he can stay healthy he is always around the ball and we finally got to see it. Thought he was a great
pick as when I watched Purdue he was the guy who stood out to me every game. Markus Bailey just makes plays. Just had terrible
luck with injuries in college.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice thread CJD even if you are reiterating your Trey Smith love ha ha

I still like the Trey Hill pick who I think is about the exact same type of pick as Bailey who DID have a great game yesterday.

The thing about Bailey is if he can stay healthy he is always around the ball and we finally got to see it. Thought he was a great
pick as when I watched Purdue he was the guy who stood out to me every game. Markus Bailey just makes plays. Just had terrible
luck with injuries in college.

I know value when I see it Big Grin.

I haven't lost hope for Hill. He was a starter in the SEC and the coaches seem to think he has the potential to stick at center. I just think Smith was a more talented player, so taking talent over position is typically the right call.

Bailey was really good in college and I was really happy with the selection. I'm glad he's healthy a year later and is playing good football.
Reply/Quote
We restocked the cupboard on Offensive Line in the last draft with three picks (Carman, Trey Hill and D'Ante Smith). So the depth chart there has a lot more talent than it used to but it is EXTREMELY inexperienced. It will take time to groom everyone.

The larger concern right now is being short linebackers.
Reply/Quote

I loved the selection of Bailey in the 7th round as a sort of lottery ticket.  

When he was at Purdue, he single-handedly destroyed a very good Ohio State team.  I was pissed at him that day.  I kept saying:  "Who the hell is that guy".  He was always sniffing out screens and bootlegs.  

I think as he gets more playing time, his excellent instincts will take over.  Biggest knock:  Can he stay healthy.  He was injured a lot in college, too.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 06:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I know value when I see it Big Grin.

I haven't lost hope for Hill. He was a starter in the SEC and the coaches seem to think he has the potential to stick at center. I just think Smith was a more talented player, so taking talent over position is typically the right call.

Bailey was really good in college and I was really happy with the selection. I'm glad he's healthy a year later and is playing good football.

Well said. Completely agree. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 10:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I loved the selection of Bailey in the 7th round as a sort of lottery ticket.  

When he was at Purdue, he single-handedly destroyed a very good Ohio State team.  I was pissed at him that day.  I kept saying:  "Who the hell is that guy".  He was always sniffing out screens and bootlegs.  

I think as he gets more playing time, his excellent instincts will take over.  Biggest knock:  Can he stay healthy.  He was injured a lot in college, too.  

Indeed, the health is the only thing that is inconsistent with him.

Last year in limited snaps, he did have a few issues, but that was his first year and he was coming off the major injury. This year, all bets are off and can't wait to see how he progresses.
Reply/Quote
It was such a joy watching a Bengals LB....that SHEDS BLOCKS!
Reply/Quote
Pratt deserves some props too he was hitting a few guys like a truck. I was afraid he was a soft weak tackler with an easygoing type attitude to nice to play LB. But it seems he does have a lil pop to him on the tackles which I think is needed at LB. Our safety has been playing the enforcer role Bell and doing a good job of it. But we need more then one guy out there laying the wood on LEGAL hits.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2021, 12:37 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Pratt deserves some props too he was hitting a few guys like a truck. I was afraid he was a soft weak tackler with an easygoing type attitude to nice to play LB. But it seems he does have a lil pop to him on the tackles which I think is needed at LB. Our safety has been playing the enforcer role Bell and doing a good job of it. But we need more then one guy out there laying the wood on LEGAL  hits.

Yes, Pratt is gaining some edge to his game.
Reply/Quote