Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Markus Bailey
(05-28-2021, 09:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yeah who could imagine practicing the game in the conditions it is played in. That we must do all we can to pamper these millionaire athletes.

Or how about maybe being able to practice in an evironment that allows them to perform their drills/plays correctly, without worrying about slipping all over the place or having a greater chance of injury. 

Silly thought, i know. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not going to go so far as to predict he will develop into a good NFL player, but I am excited by the amount of potential he has for such a late draft pick.

In 2016 he finished 5th in the Big Ten in both solo tackles (61) and interceptions (4).

In '17 and '18 he had 204 tackles, 149 solo tackles, 20 TFL, 13.5 sacks, and 2 ints.

in 2018 he led the Big Ten (and finished #6 in the nation) with 82 solo tackles.

If they ever replay that game where Purdue beat Ohio State, watch him.  He was a one-man wrecking crew.  OSU would do a QB waggle and everyone on Purdue would get caught in massive overpursuit except Bailey.  He would blow the play up and go back to the huddle and get ready to do it again.  

Make no mistake, I was cussing him out watching, but I was very happy when they got him in the 7th round.  At the very least, the guys like Wilson and ADG had BETTER take the next step because this kid will be breathing down their necks.  
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 12:45 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Or how about maybe being able to practice in an evironment that allows them to perform their drills/plays correctly, without worrying about slipping all over the place or having a greater chance of injury. 

Silly thought, i know. 

I have no problem with the team practicing in the rain.  They need to get used to that experience, but they also can't practice outside if there is lightening.

But physical exertion in cold weather is hard on the body.  If they work as hard and do as many reps in the cold it will wear them down physically.  The human body uses a lot of energy just to keep warm, and breathing hard in dry cold air can actually inflame the bronchia and lungs.  When I lived in Boulder CO I knew some top athletes who trained there.  more than one of them got bronchitis from over exertion in dry cold conditions.

So even though it is good to practice in rain and wet conditions we still need a better indoor practice facility to deal with lightening and extreme cold.  It doesn't do players any good to "get used to the cold" if they can't get in the reps they need to prepare for the game.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 11:45 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I love how they addressed the LB position by not doing a damn thing. Let them grow into their roles. Bailey as a 7th rounder is already better than a 4th or 5th rounder from the following draft. A year in the system, actual live game time and an off-season without any direct competition does a lot for confidence and team chemistry. If they all grow, they'll be no need to address LB next year either.

Even though it does not always work out you have to give draft picks a year to develop.  As difficult as it was to watch Michael Jordan play last year I understand why the team gave him a year to develop.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:21 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yeah who could imagine practicing the game in the conditions it is played in. That we must do all we can to pamper these millionaire athletes.

This the dumbest and most stubborn and bone headed take one could have.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem with the team practicing in the rain.  They need to get used to that experience, but they also can't practice outside if there is lightening.

But physical exertion in cold weather is hard on the body.  If they work as hard and do as many reps in the cold it will wear them down physically.  The human body uses a lot of energy just to keep warm, and breathing hard in dry cold air can actually inflame the bronchia and lungs.  When I lived in Boulder CO I knew some top athletes who trained there.  more than one of them got bronchitis from over exertion in dry cold conditions.

So even though it is good to practice in rain and wet conditions we still need a better indoor practice facility to deal with lightening and extreme cold.  It doesn't do players any good to "get used to the cold" if they can't get in the reps they need to prepare for the game.

^This

It isn't about pampering professional athletes.

It's about understanding the body, and not to put them in unnecessary harm's way.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Spot on. Practicing in snow/ice/rain all week really gets our guys ready for those slippery conditions inside a dome. Mike Brown is just playing chess while the rest of the moron owners play checkers.

This is why we dominated that Texans playoff game inside their dome while practicing in ice all week. Our guys were ready for those unpredictable elements. Puts hair on their chest too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on. Practicing in snow/ice/rain all week really gets our guys ready for those slippery conditions inside a dome. Mike Brown is just playing chess while the rest of the moron owners play checkers.

This is why we dominated that Texans playoff game inside their dome while practicing in ice all week. Our guys were ready for those unpredictable elements. Puts hair on their chest too.

You forgot the added bonus of getting the star players flu like symptoms before the playoff games.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 04:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Spot on. Practicing in snow/ice/rain all week really gets our guys ready for those slippery conditions inside a dome. Mike Brown is just playing chess while the rest of the moron owners play checkers.

Plus, every day you practice in the cold, your bawls grow just a little bit more. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 07:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Plus, every day you practice in the cold, your bawls grow just a little bit more. 

Strange, mine always crawled up into my abdomen 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 09:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Strange, mine always crawled up into my abdomen 

Well, you're not a pampered millionaire athlete. 

Reply/Quote

The players and their salaries are yearly investments. The best way to maximize the return on that investment is to have a healthy team playing actual games so that the chance of winning is maximized. Increased winning results in increased ticket/merchandise sales, increased stadium revenue, and increased licensing revenue for the team. This shit ain’t rocket science.

Provide the players with optimal practice facilities to limit injury potential. Having million dollar investments walking across public traffic to practice on a subpar surface with rock piles and dust from the neighboring operation is both cheap and a needless risk on the investment. There’s a reasoon in a league built for parity that Mike Brown has won barely 40% of his games in 30 years. High schools can afford a facility, as can lower tier D-1 programs, but not Mike.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 10:51 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: The players and their salaries are yearly investments. The best way to maximize the return on that investment is to have a healthy team playing actual games so that the chance of winning is maximized. Increased winning results in increased ticket/merchandise sales, increased stadium revenue, and increased licensing revenue for the team. This shit ain’t rocket science.

Provide the players with optimal practice facilities to limit injury potential. Having million dollar investments walking across public traffic to practice on a subpar surface with rock piles and dust from the neighboring operation is both cheap and a needless risk on the investment. There’s a reasoon in a league built for parity that Mike Brown has won barely 40% of his games in 30 years. High schools can afford a facility, as can lower tier D-1 programs, but not Mike.

This is it^^^^
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 06:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's raining pretty hard here so I figured there's no way in hell that they'd be practicing outside but just another reminder of how much our tight ass owner prevents us from being a respectable franchise and having something that a lot of high schools even have with an indoor practice facility.

I guess this isn't the time or thread but I'm just still so blown away by it.  

Anyways, like Nate said, I LOVE his potential because he always seemed to be around the ball, could rush the passer, and could make plays on the ball in the passing game.

He seems like the perfect type of linebacker for the new style of play in the NFL and I think he could be a hell of a signing!

He might not make a big immediate impact, but I can see him opening some eyes as a rookie ThumbsUp
I'm one of the few who don't see a big deal about indoor facilities especially when we play outside in all our division games. I feel it should make us better since we practice outdoors all the time.  
Makes things too easy and convenient indoors ill be happy if we never get an indoor one.  

Heard from other players as well that's its not a big deal

Edit: I see above me a few posts that my sentiments were echoed.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2021, 05:11 PM)J24 Wrote: You forgot the added bonus of getting the star players flu like symptoms before the playoff games.

I don't disagree with the sentiment (that indoors is better on the body), but you don't get the flu from being in the cold; you get it from other, infected people.

The cold can compromise your immune system somewhat, but it still won't prevent you from getting the flu, if you get it from an infected person.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't disagree with the sentiment (that indoors is better on the body), but you don't get the flu from being in the cold; you get it from other, infected people.

The cold can compromise your immune system somewhat, but it still won't prevent you from getting the flu, if you get it from an infected person.

While this is true, it is usually the respiratory infections that hit them from practicing outdoors.  You feel like shit when your body is fighting one.  I just think as highly paid, fine-tuned athletes, they should be provided the best possible practice facilities and in the best conditions.  It isn't something they have to use every day, but when they are playing a dome team, or something, there is no need to practice that week outside.  
Reply/Quote
As much as I hate cold weather I'm not dumb enough to think it's responsible for transmitting viruses.. The only thing cold has to do with transmission of viruses is people come inside close together to be away from the cold..End of story. If you believe otherwise then there's always trumpism for you as well. Drink bleach to cure it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 04:23 AM)Amalone002 Wrote: I'm one of the few who don't see a big deal about indoor facilities especially when we play outside in all our division games. I feel it should make us better since we practice outdoors all the time.  
Makes things too easy and convenient indoors ill be happy if we never get an indoor one.  

Heard from other players as well that's its not a big deal

Edit: I see above me a few posts that my sentiments were echoed.

If this is the case, why are we the only AFCN team without one? Why do teams spend so many millions on something so unimportant? Why do we trust Mike Brown to be the smartest man in the room?

Also, we play lots of games in fair weather or domes, after practicing in rain/snow/ice all week.

Also, players rarely throw the team under the bus for such things, because they dont want to burn bridges. That said, plenty of former players have clowned us for not having a facility.

Pat McAfee was making fun of it recently, and you could see it all over AJ Hawk's face, but AJ wouldn't come straight out and trash the Bengals over it. Big Whit complained about footing several years ago, not that it ever changes anyone's mind.

(05-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't disagree with the sentiment (that indoors is better on the body), but you don't get the flu from being in the cold; you get it from other, infected people.

You're right, but cold conditions and strenuous exercise both compromise the immune system and make it easier to get sick. That's probably why so many of our players came down with the flu after practicing in icy weather all week, leading up to that Texans playoff game.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Baily without the injuries would certainly have gone higher.
I hope he can turn into a player, but I am not holding my breath.

PFF ratings on our backers last year:

Bynes: 52.6 (not brought back)
Pratt: 41.5
-------------
L. Wilson: 54.7
ADG: 40.7
---------
Evans: 61.0
Bailey: 32.6

LB is a huge problem for us. Along with OL, lacking a deep threat, pass rush, DT, and WR depth. And HC.

Chase should be the deep threat. Reiff is an upgrade over Hart pass blocking (but not in the run game). Carman is a rookie switching positions. The other 2 rooks likely don't contribute this year. They are hoping Pollack can put lipstick on Turner's pig. Not sure Hendrickson is an uograde from Lawson. Ossai & C. Sample are rookies. But have solid potential. Our DE depth should be much better. Ditto DT. Reader, Tupou, & Wren all healthy. Ogujobi & Mack added. Daniels back.
Reply/Quote
This is my annual....

Not having a first class indoor training facility is utterly stupid, cheap, stubborn, and exhibit A for those who think bengal management are bush league.

I keep thinking they don’t want to build one because they know they may not be in cincy when lease expires.
Reply/Quote