Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marlon Byrd could still be traded
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13359108/mlb-august-trade-candidates

MLB AUGUST TRADE CANDIDATES

Marlon Byrd, Cincinnati Reds

Byrd, 37, fits the profile of the worldly, veteran run producer with enough thump to help a contender. He has been mentioned here and there as a possible fit with the Baltimore Orioles, who were linked to a number of outfield bats before acquiring Gerardo Parra from Milwaukee at the deadline.

Byrd has played for the Cubs, Red Sox, Mets, Pirates, Phillies and Reds since 2012, so he won't have much trouble adapting to a late-season change of scenery. Pittsburgh acquired him by trade in late August 2013, and Byrd posted an .843 OPS in 30 games to help the Pirates make the playoffs. Then he continued to crush it with a .591 slugging percentage in two playoff series.

This year, Byrd has 18 homers and a .477 slugging percentage in 298 at-bats. He has an .838 OPS at Great American Ball Park compared to a .712 OPS on the road, so he has clearly benefited from Cincinnati's cozy environs at home.

With two months to go, Byrd needs to amass 227 more plate appearances to reach a threshold of 550 that would trigger an $8 million vesting option in 2016. Any team with thoughts of acquiring him would obviously prefer not to have to deal with that piece of contractual baggage.

The guy we gave up to get him, RHP Ben Lively, is not looking very impressive in AA ball this year. Don't know if we could get a better prospect back, but no matter what happens it has turned out to be a good deal for the Reds. I knew Byrd had some pop in his bat, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well he plays defense. He is not the old lug I was expecting out there in LF.

BTW Both Heisey (Dodgers) and Ludwick (Rangers) have been released and are not even in the major leagues anymore.
Reply/Quote