Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marlon Byrd traded to Giants
For RHP Steve Johnson.
Reply/Quote
Oh good another pitcher.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Seriously though, what is up with all these pitchers?

We need outfielders badly. And possibly a catcher. Why are they just stocking up on infinite pitchers?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 10:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Seriously though, what is up with all these pitchers?

We need outfielders badly. And possibly a catcher. Why are they just stocking up on infinite pitchers?

Maybe because the season is over, Reds just playing out September because they have to.  Reds still cutting payroll and Byrd was very expendable. If we can finish near last with him, we can finish near last without him. ......Most managers say you can't have enough pitching. Sweet Lou walked a path in the carpet to Marge Schotts door every day asking for more pitching via trades or however.  Trader Jack and Sparky always wanted more pitching. The Dodgers in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's were always a force because they always loaded up their farm system with pitching.

So the Reds will finish the 2015 season and go into the off season with these pitchers. I'm not sure how many of these pitchers are any good, and Reds probably don't know yet considering how young and unproven most of them are.  The Reds may be very active in the off season after the World Series and before Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see some major changes because the 2010 team is falling or has fallen apart.  If they can dump some high priced vets and go with a solid youth movement, they will.  The year they had the lead on Giants in the play-offs and blew it, that was their chance. It is time to rebuild. Two straight seasons near last place, it is time to rebuild. 

If Reds are rebuilding, starting with young pitchers is the first move. Reds picked up a 1st round pitcher in the Cueto trade and Reds have a few of their own 1st round pitchers, so the youth is there.  Baseball experts always say all teams are looking for pitching, so you can often trade pitching for hitting. Loading up on pitching gives that option.  Still, you never know which of these many young pitchers are going to be the real deal and win games in The Bigs.  Loading up on young pitchers should increase the odds that a few of these guys might be good pitchers. I don't look for all of them to be good. 

So Reds cutting payroll and rebuilding after 2010 teams has fell apart into a last place team in 2015. Reds going for youth and rebuilding which starts with loading up on pitching after getting rid of Arroyo, Cueto, Leake and others. Byrd flew in and had a short stay, less than a year. When it came to dumping players, The Byrd was the word. 

Super Manager Madden who took over lousy Tampa and won, and took over lousy Cubs and is 20 games over .500.....Madden is all about pitching and defense, because it wins games. Trader Jack said had he stayed here, he would have never brought in Ken Griffey Jr and would have went for more pitching and defense with that money. Trader Jack took over a last place Florida and in same year won the World Series, going from last to first. Trader Jack had the 1999 Reds in the play-off game with the Mets, and the Reds were not all that good in 1999. .....This may bring us to Manager Price and are his days numbered. I would say yes and the Reds third base coach will be on the list of names to replace Price in this rebuilding of the team.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 10:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Seriously though, what is up with all these pitchers?

I am guessing they think that if they have to they can sign a free agnt outfielder cheaper than a pitcher.

Plus a team usually just needs 4 outfielders on any sort of regular basis, but you need at least 5 starting pitchers and 5 good relievers to get by day to day.
Reply/Quote
Former 1st round pick Jesse Winker is still just 21 and playing AA ball, but he continues to look like a solid ML prospect. He killed it in high A level (.317 BA, 1.006 OPS), and after a slow start in AA he has really gotten hot. Over the last 3 months he is hitting .300 with a .502 slugging% and .389 OB% (.891 OPS).

Plus I think we will see Suarez's bat in the lineup everyday somewhere next year.
Reply/Quote
For one thing, and probably the biggest reason, if Byrd got many more AB's, the option for next year would have kicked in and cost them 8 mil.

Maybe this winter, you package some of those arms together and get a genuine big league hitter still in or nearing his prime.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
How about trading Bryan Price for the shift manager at Sportservice inside GABP.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 10:54 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: How about trading Bryan Price for the shift manager at McDonalds

FIFY
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:38 PM)djs7685 Wrote: FIFY

McDonalds would never make that trade.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote