Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team wins since 2011
(11-08-2015, 02:15 AM)Shady Wrote: And if he finishes the last half of the year they way he performed in the first half, he'll finish the season with

nearly 4,500 yards passing and 278 per game (10 more per game than in 2013)
about 350 completions on around 500 attempts for 67.5% (his career high by about 3.5%) 
36 touchdowns (another career high)
8 interceptions (his career low by 5 [he had 13 in 2011])

I don't know what kind of passer rating that would score, but it would beat any season that Joe Montana ever had. That is, without any doubt, in the same league as Peyton Manning. DAMN!!!!!!

If the stats he has now project out to all 16 games, then his passer rating would be 111.0.  That's like 20 points higher than most of the Andy fanboys were willing to wager on.

I don't know where it came from. Especially considering he was looking to be moving backward instead of progressing in his game.  He's having an MVP caliber season, and I could not be happier to have been wrong about it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Someone actually cares what the talking heads say? I certainly don't because even if we win the super bowl this year they'll drone on and on about the novelty of Andy having red hair and his accomplishments will be the footnote they'll have to begrudgingly acknowledge and say stuff like, 'Yeah but, he didn't throw 5 nohitters in the world series and hit 50 home runs.'..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 10:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In all fairness to the Brady and Manning seasons when they hit ridiculous one year totals in TD passes, do you realize how many of those were thrown on first and goal from the three yard line?  I think the conservative nature of our coaching staff and the presence of two very good RBs will limit TD passes for Andy somewhat.  Personally, I could care less.  I just want to see the wins continue to pile up.  

Pig Ben is notorious for these.  Instead of the running back, they get the TD pass.  

Indy is worse than Pitt. They almost refuse to run inside the 10.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 12:44 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: If the stats he has now project out to all 16 games, then his passer rating would be 111.0.  That's like 20 points higher than most of the Andy fanboys were willing to wager on.

I don't know where it came from. Especially considering he was looking to be moving backward instead of progressing in his game.  He's having an MVP caliber season, and I could not be happier to have been wrong about it.

Only a lack of the facts be considered would appear AD was regressing.

No QB progresses with his all world WR (Green) plays around 60% of the offensive stats, M. Jones his #2 is lost for entire season and top pass catching TE Eifert plays 1 quarter in 2014.

He looked very good in spite of it, but as the year wore on defenses were able to adapt to our lack of weapons. Our OL started having more issues also when Smith went down. Some would call the injuries excuses, I do not due to the magnitude of how our skilled players were impacted.

AD's QBR and numbers were down, but not significantly so I saw no signs of actual regression for AD in 2014. Just my humble opinion and I stated this long before AD's 2015 season on the old board.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 01:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Only a lack of the facts be considered would appear AD was regressing.

No QB progresses with his all world WR (Green) plays around 60% of the offensive stats, M. Jones his #2 is lost for entire season and top pass catching TE Eifert plays 1 quarter in 2014.

He looked very good in spite of it, but as the year wore on defenses were able to adapt to our lack of weapons. Our OL started having more issues also when Smith went down. Some would call the injuries excuses, I do not due to the magnitude of how our skilled players were impacted.

AD's QBR and numbers were down, but not significantly so I saw no signs of actual regression for AD in 2014. Just my humble opinion and I stated this long before AD's 2015 season on the old board.

Didn't bother reading past the opening sentence.  Only a lack of watching the games would lead anyone to believe that he did not regress from 2013.  

There is no debate.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 01:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Indy is worse than Pitt. They almost refuse to run inside the 10.

They don't have the running game of pitt....not even close.  Of course, because teams sell out to stop Bell, Big Jen gets an easy TD.

Here's to hoping for a 99 yard pick 6 by the Raiders today.  
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 01:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Didn't bother reading past the opening sentence.  Only a lack of watching the games would lead anyone to believe that he did not regress from 2013.  

There is no debate.

I watch almost every Bengals game at least 2 times, I saw no regression at all. I also did not see any progression from 2013 to 2014.I saw a lot of receivers unable to separate. I saw an OC determined to run the ball more in the red zone as well.

That is the great thing about opinions, a QBR is based on facts, the eye test is 100% opinioned in my opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 01:52 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Didn't bother reading past the opening sentence.  Only a lack of watching the games would lead anyone to believe that he did not regress from 2013.  

There is no debate.

How would you feel if his QB rating last year had been 87.2 instead of 83.5?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 11:14 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Actually, it is not an unfair statement. Let's take a look at how the "talking head" conversation  would have gone had Dalton had a "normal progression".

DISCLAIMER: EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS IS PURE SUPPOSITION ON MY PART.

1st year. Dalton struggles as a rookie QB and one would have thought much about it since virtually ALL rookie QBs struggle. The talking heads would have pointed out that he inherited a 4-12 roster and needed more talent to succeed. Case in point ... no one gave two shits about how bad Peyton Manning was his rookie year. Had Dalton gone 5-11, the talking heads would have thought it was a pretty decent showing.

Then, in year 2, the Bengals go from 5-11 (in Dalton's first year) to 7-8 and miss the playoffs. Again, the talking heads would have said he improved a lot but the team was still 3-5 players away from the playoffs.

In Dalton's 3rd year, the Bengals go 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Dalton's numers were good but, again, the talking heads would have said that the Bengals were 1 or 2 players away.

4th year, Dalton regresses in terms of numbers BUT the Bengals back into the playoffs. They are decimated by skill position injuries and get clobbered in the first round. And, yet again, Dalton ... and the Bengals ... would have gotten a pass by the talking heads because of all of the injuries.

So again, I don't thing the statement was unfair to Dalton and the Bengals ... had Dalton progressed (in terms of wins and numbers) the way most rookie QB's progress.

And remember, we (as an organization) have to also overcome a "built in bias" because of the 90s.

No one gives a crap (now) that the Squealers (from 1945 to 1971) were a horrible football team. If the Clowns ever get to be a winning football team (us unlikely as that sounds), no one will care that they stunk up the joint since 1997 ... because the Browns had a history of winning in the 40s, 50s and 60s". The Ravens could stink it up from now until 2030 ... but but if they go 0-10 in playoff 1-and-done after that, no one will care because they won 2 Super Bowls in the early 2000s.

That's not true.  They were an abysmal football team from 1934-1971.  It was 37 years of futility, not 26.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 02:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I watch almost every Bengals game at least 2 times, I saw no regression at all. I also did not see any progression from 2013 to 2014.I saw a lot of receivers unable to separate. I saw an OC determined to run the ball more in the red zone as well.

That is the great thing about opinions, a QBR is based on facts, the eye test is 100% opinioned in my opinion.

Based on analyzable facts, he had a pretty bad year.  He also didn't really pass the eye test with me and looked the worst in his career...except for his rookie year, maybe.  He certainly took a step back from 2013.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How would you feel if his QB rating last year had been 87.2 instead of 83.5?

Maybe. Does he throw more TDs, less INTs, show better decision making ability, better leadership ability, etc.?

The bump in passer rating says that he would have been playing a bit better, but still likely a regression from 2013.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 08:01 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Maybe. Does he throw more TDs, less INTs, show better decision making ability, better leadership ability, etc.?

The bump in passer rating says that he would have been playing a bit better, but still likely a regression from 2013.

One game. You know which one.

[Image: Dalton%20two%20point%20oh_zpsu7or3uh7.jpg]

The top part of the chart is just to show that his numbers last year really aren't all that different from previous years. Top you want the number to stay the same as much as possible because it means you've had a lot of good/great games. Bottom part you want to change as fast as possible because it means you've not had as many bad games. 

Now, the very bottom numbers are his game against the Browns. If you change the 2.0 to a 54.0, a bad game to be sure and something more along the lines of his really bad games, it raises his overall rating to 87.2.  

That one game crushed his overall rating. Not that i'm saying he was good last year. You want a "good" QB to raise the play of those around him. I think he certainly did, some, with Sanu taking over the #1 for a while, but missing Green as much as he did, Jones all year and Eifert for all but 1 quarter; that's asking a lot of a QB that's not "elite" to continue to put up the numbers he's used to putting up. 

I don't agree with not passing the eye test, myself. If you go back and watch the games, more than not, you'll see an "average" QB doing the best he could with what he had. 

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 02:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: One of the announcers made a great point Thursday night.  If Dalton had gone 8-8 then 9-7 and missed the playoffs his first two season he would be getting a lot LESS criticism than he is now.

That doesn't seem to make any sense, but when you think about it it is true.  He would be getting lots of credit for how he is developing into a top NFL QB.  But since he won MORE than that he is getting ripped instead of complimented.

its cause he has raised expectations
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 07:59 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Based on analyzable facts, he had a pretty bad year.  He also didn't really pass the eye test with me and looked the worst in his career...except for his rookie year, maybe.  He certainly took a step back from 2013.

yeah... We kinda expected that right... hue was coming in new OC with big plans for the run game.

And we took alot of those Redzone Pass TDs and made them run TDs then as the season goes on we keep lossing targets.. Jones before the season
Eifert 10 plays into the season.
AJ Hobbled and never really 100% after game 2 or 3 (missed 6 total i think and was ineffective in several others)
James Wright started to show up then IR
Gresham hurting towards the end.

Most franchises probly dont make it back to the playoffs especially with our defense also dropping off a bit.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2015, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Andy is bordering on greatness, so many haters, Payton Manning didn't win a playoff game until his 6th season, Carson Plamer has never won a playoff game and only went 2x with the Bengals. No other QB for the bengals have won this amount of games in their first 5 years. Andy's name is up there with some of the games greatest QBs just wanted to give Andy his props. At 1 point it was said he couldn't throw the long ball I believe he's thrown and thrown them this year. Lead team to
8-0 yet the haters are still there. Me I think Andy ROCKS  Rock On Rock On
Great reminder
4-12 in 2010
Lost franchise QB
Added new OC
No camp due to CBA so lost valuable prep time for rookies
Expected a 2nd round QB who was drafted behind Cam, Gabbert, Locker and Ponder (5th QB drafted in 2011) to right the ship

I recall most experts having us ranked at #32 or worst team in the NFL
Reply/Quote