Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marv should take a note from Saban
Last night the Bama's offense was stagnant the first half by not doing anything and was about to cost them the title game.

But an all-time legendary coach that Saban is, pulled a very unconventional move in the biggest game of the year by putting in a freshman QB who had hardly played all season. Saban figured if no change is made, then we are going to lose. A change at qb may not work, but at least it is better than definitely not working. Well it worked, and they are national champs yet again.

Maybe Marvin watched that game, and just maybe he can see that sometimes a change at a position during the game, let alone during the week, is better than what is not working.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's why one coach has won 5 national championships in 9 years and the other has...well we all know Marvins story.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 02:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Last night the Bama's offense was stagnant the first half by not doing anything and was about to cost them the title game.

But an all-time legendary coach that Saban is, pulled a very unconventional move in the biggest game of the year by putting in a freshman QB who had hardly played all season. Saban figured if no change is made, then we are going to lose. A change at qb may not work, but at least it is better than definitely not working. Well it worked, and they are national champs yet again.

Maybe Marvin watched that game, and just maybe he can see that sometimes a change at a position during the game, let alone during the week, is better than what is not working.

Last night was the stuff of legends.  The trophy should be a giant pair of brass balls.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
In fairness to Marvin, he doesn't get to cherry pick his players to the point of having a superior roster to all but a team or two. But point taken (agree or not)
Reply/Quote
All true.

But Saban kind of took a play out of Marvin's book until halftime.

Because see no way possible that kid should not have been starting all season except for loyalty to a vet.

He is lightyears ahead of Hurt in talent.

Yet credit Hurt for not getting butt hurt about the benching and being a team player until the end.

Not a Bama fan but very nervously excited and a little scared even at what they may do to my Cards in their very next game.

Because kid looked solid.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: All true.

Because see no way possible that kid should not have been starting all season except for loyalty to a vet.

Yet credit Hurt for not getting butt hurt about the benching and being a team player until the end.  

Not a Bama fan but very nervously excited and a little scared even at what they may do to my Cards in their very next game.  

Watch Hurts transfer to Louisville  Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:12 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Watch Hurts transfer to Louisville  Cool

They will need a new QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:10 PM)Go Cards Wrote: All true.

You guys open with Bama?  Yikes.

Reply/Quote
Saban said the move was made because Tua was a better passer and he knew that they would need that in the 2nd half. And we can't ignore the fact that Georgia game planned for Hurt. Now, in your scenario, we must assume that AJ is a better player than Andy. Frankly, we haven't seen that in preseason or even in the games he has played. Everyone dreams of the 2nd string guy coming in and outplaying the number 1 guy. The reality is that is seldomly happens.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 02:55 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Last night the Bama's offense was stagnant the first half by not doing anything and was about to cost them the title game.

So this is why he did so good in the NFL?  Mellow

Coaching differences between teenage kids to grown ass men is very, very different. Just saying. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

I get your point. It's not always about the QB, though, but just making a significant change to try to spark the team. However, in doing so, Merv would have to recognize that it IS possible to make a significant change DURING the game.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:57 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get your point. It's not always about the QB, though, but just making a significant change to try to spark the team. However, in doing so, Merv would have to recognize that it IS possible to make a significant change DURING the game.

And that was my point, as it can be any player on the field not playing good enough can be subbed off in hopes of a spark. It shouldnt be primarily because of injuries when changes occur.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 03:13 PM)McC Wrote: You guys open with Bama?  Yikes.

No shit.....we did this year, and lost our starting QB for the season. In game one. Ouch.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
But but but but half time adjustments aren't important.

"The ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth" -Marvin Lewis, 2016

This statement is all that you need to know about Marvin.
Reply/Quote
And Hurts will never start for Bama again. Once you make these decisions (unless you're Buffalo) you don't go back. That's a big decision. Maybe if it's the Superbowl, but you just don't bench starting (Franchise) qb's unless you plan on making a permanent change. It just doesn't work like that.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2018, 05:09 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: But but but but half time adjustments aren't important.

"The ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth" -Marvin Lewis, 2016

This statement is all that you need to know about Marvin.

8-23 against the Steelers. That's all you need to know about Merv. I only bring it up because I don't know how many people know this stat. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote