Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Jones Denies Claim That He Wants 7 Million
(02-11-2016, 01:56 PM)jowczarski Wrote: That leaves Marvin Jones as the clear No. 1 UFA on the market. Heck, looking at it, with Travis Benjamin likely re-signing in Cleveland, Mo Sanu is moving up the list, too.

That's what concerns me. There isn't a lot that looks good in FA and the draft doesn't have a lot at receiver to get excited about. Sanu could end up being sought after a lot more this year than some suspect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He just doesn't want to plug himself into one hole, being smart is all.

Shit, the price might be 8 mil a year now.

Rishard Matthews is looking better by the second.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:09 PM)Benton Wrote: That's what concerns me. There isn't a lot that looks good in FA and the draft doesn't have a lot at receiver to get excited about. Sanu could end up being sought after a lot more this year than some suspect.

If you look at Sanu's numbers he should be cheap, he has continually fell off for the last couple years...

Very versatile though which is why i want him back. But even if we brought back Mo we would still need to
atleast draft one WR early. Crying over spilt milk here but we should of looked into re-signing one of these
guys last season before they could test the FA waters, especially MLJ.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you look at Sanu's numbers he should be cheap, he has continually fell off for the last couple years...

Very versatile though which is why i want him back. But even if we brought back Mo we would still need to
atleast draft one WR early. Crying over spilt milk here but we should of looked into re-signing one of these

Last season Marvin Jones had played 27 games (8 starts) in 3 years. He put up 69 / 913 / 11 in those 3 years. There was no reason to give him an extension.

Last season Mohamed Sanu was among league leaders in drops. He did put up some numbers when AJ Green was hurt and they were force feeding the ball to him, but then proceeded to put up 17 / 162 / 1 in the second half of the season, completely vanishing.

Neither of those guys were worth re-signing last offseason. Jones is just a slightly better Simpson, and Sanu is just a slightly better Caldwell. The Bengals weren't ruined by either of their departures.

They had to add a WR anyway, so now just make it two. Maybe Rishard Matthews and a 3nd round pick WR or something. Anquan Boldin and a 2nd round WR. Who knows. No reason to vastly overpay for 4th and 5th best receiving threats on the team. (putting them behind Green, Eifert, and Bernard)

Fun Fact: Giovani Bernard (a RB) has as many 100 yards receiving games in 3 seasons as Marvin Jones (a WR) does in 4.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Last season Marvin Jones had played 27 games (8 starts) in 3 years. He put up 69 / 913 / 11 in those 3 years. There was no reason to give him an extension.

Last season Mohamed Sanu was among league leaders in drops. He did put up some numbers when AJ Green was hurt and they were force feeding the ball to him, but then proceeded to put up 17 / 162 / 1 in the second half of the season, completely vanishing.

Neither of those guys were worth re-signing last offseason. Jones is just a slightly better Simpson, and Sanu is just a slightly better Caldwell. The Bengals weren't ruined by either of their departures.

They had to add a WR anyway, so now just make it two. Maybe Rishard Matthews and a 3nd round pick WR or something. Anquan Boldin and a 2nd round WR. Who knows. No reason to vastly overpay for 4th and 5th best receiving threats on the team. (putting them behind Green, Eifert, and Bernard)

Fun Fact: Giovani Bernard (a RB) has as many 100 yards receiving games in 3 seasons as Marvin Jones (a WR) does in 4.

I guess you are correct, like i said i was crying over spilt milk. ***** slap my ass.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 12:29 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Jones wants as much as a team will pay him, which is exactly what he should want.

I honestly think he could get $7 million a year.  The cap is going up and teams have money to spend.  He may get paid well just because the market is thin at WR this year.   this is a perfect example of why thwe bengals try to avoid free agency.  The prices can get inflated more due to "supply and demand" than talent.

But in order to get $7 Mil he has to ask for at least $8 Mil. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 03:49 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: The $7 million probably wouldn't be unrealistic IF Jones hadn't missed so much time due to injury.  Eric Decker is the #2 on the Jets and that's about what he makes.  Is Eric Decker really that much better than Jones?  Are the Jets a "bad team" that doesn't know how to manage their cap space just because they pay their #2 around $7/year?  No, they just missed making the playoffs with a rookie head coach and a lackluster Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm.  It'll be the injury history that probably limits Jones to a more reasonable price, just a hunch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2014/03/12/eric-decker-new-york-jets-contract-nfl-free-agency/6356215/

Decker really is that much better than Jones and remember...Decker was paid to be the #1 WR for the Jets. Brandon Marshall wasn't there when he was signed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 02:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: WRs who are open more will be targeted more.

Marshall & Decker = 6 combined games with <50 yards
Green & Jones = 12 combined games with <50 yards

They vanished less, so they got more targets. People always equate more targets to just being used more, but never give credit to the fact that the best WRs in the league always have more targets because they're simply open more often. If Marvin Jones was beating his guy by 3 yards every play, I am pretty sure he'd end up with 200 targets regardless of who Dalton intended to throw the ball to.

Efficiency numbers say otherwise.  Fact is, the Bengals had quite a few blow outs.  Quite a few games where the game was over at halftime.  Quite a few games where Andy Dalton did not have to throw all game.  The Jets did not.

You can't just take <50 yard games and say guys disappeared.

You can't just dismiss targets and say guys aren't used more, but they are better at getting open.  C'mon.

And I'm not disputing that Jones will get a big offer, but I will argue all day that the Bengals WR's, if given the exact same situation as the Jets, would be pretty much the same.
Reply/Quote
Screw it, let jones walk let sanu walk. Throw an absurd contract at alshon Jeffrey. Not a crazy amount per year but structure it so the Bears have no way of matching it.

Give up your 1st and another 1st the next year for a 25 year old proven number 1 to go with aj and eifert. He is only 25 and you get a for sure thing - it's not like our 1st round pick is that great.

Go sign boldin for 2 years and draft some receivers over the next years in the mid rounds.

Go all in the next 1-3 years for winning a title. Instead of paying 7-8 for jones and 2-4 for sanu you could probably get Jeffrey 5 years 12-14 per year.

I don't know, maybe it is a dumb idea but I'm tired of seeing the bengals pay tier 2 players low tier 1 money. Why not just go to the next level for a bit more. I'm sure teams would fear aj, Jeffrey, and (put any competent wr here) over aj, jones, sanu -

And eifert
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 06:12 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Screw it, let jones walk let sanu walk.  Throw an absurd contract at alshon Jeffrey.  Not a crazy amount per year but structure it so the Bears have no way of matching it.

Give up your 1st and a 3rd the next year for a 25 year old proven number 1 to go with aj and eifert.  He is only 25 and you get a for sure thing - it's not like our 1st round pick is that great.

Go sign boldin for 2 years and draft some receivers over the next years in the mid rounds.

Go all in the next 1-3 years for winning a title.  Instead of paying 7-8 for jones and 2-4 for sanu you could probably get Jeffrey 5 years 12-14 per year.

I don't know, maybe it is a dumb idea but I'm tired of seeing the bengals pay tier 2 players low tier 1 money.  Why not just go to the next level for a bit more. I'm sure teams would fear aj, Jeffrey, and (put any competent wr here) over aj, jones, sanu -

And eifert

You say many crazy things BUT Alshon in stripes would give me a football boner.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 06:12 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Screw it, let jones walk let sanu walk.  Throw an absurd contract at alshon Jeffrey.  Not a crazy amount per year but structure it so the Bears have no way of matching it.

Give up your 1st and a 3rd the next year for a 25 year old proven number 1 to go with aj and eifert.  He is only 25 and you get a for sure thing - it's not like our 1st round pick is that great.

Go all in the next 1-3 years for winning a title.  Instead of paying 7-8 for jones and 2-4 for sanu you could probably get Jeffrey 5 years 12-14 per year.

I don't know, maybe it is a dumb idea but I'm tired of seeing the bengals pay tier 2 players low tier 1 money.  Why not just go to the next level for a bit more. I'm sure teams would fear aj, Jeffrey, and (put any competent wr here) over aj, jones, sanu -

And eifert

We'd have to give up two first round picks if Alshon is tagged and we sign him to an offer sheet.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 06:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We'd have to give up two first round picks if Alshon is tagged and we sign him to an offer sheet.

You are right... But I'd still do it.  This team doesn't have that many holes needed filled. If we don't get a reciever in fa or resign our own, we would most likely draft one the next year or two anyway very high.  Many times #1 receivers who hit fa the first time are 27-28but him being 25 means you could really sign him to a 7 year contract.  He doesn't really rely on his speed. Rather his physical body, going up at highest point, winning contested balls...Similar to marshal & Fitzgerald

*please note I know this will not happen, but it's silly we continue to pay people great money when they are average. Or slightly above*. The bengals FO is loyal to a fault. It's nice to see people live out their contracts but it's not responsible to have your 3rd or 4th best corner be one of your highest paid players. We could literally free up on a given year 15-20m and sign 1 or 2 difference makers and fill in the gaps with similar marginal talent.
Reply/Quote
So much faith in the media.. The same media who had predicted that the 'end of civilization as we know it' on January 1st, 2000. I truly hope that you all stocked up on a lifetime supply of bottled water on December 31st, 1999..
Bet you're thirsty now aren't ya?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 05:55 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Efficiency numbers say otherwise.  Fact is, the Bengals had quite a few blow outs.  Quite a few games where the game was over at halftime.  Quite a few games where Andy Dalton did not have to throw all game.  The Jets did not.

You can't just take <50 yard games and say guys disappeared.

You can't just dismiss targets and say guys aren't used more, but they are better at getting open.  C'mon.

And I'm not disputing that Jones will get a big offer, but I will argue all day that the Bengals WR's, if given the exact same situation as the Jets, would be pretty much the same.

It's amazing how the Bengals always seem to have players that can't seem to produce like they're capable of. Supposedly.

I'm still waiting for Gresham to blow up in a different system. Caldwell and Simpson too.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I keep hearing what a weak draft class this is for WRs.  If Marvin Jones is the "clear No.1 WR free agent" (I'm not sure he is), then it is a very weak  year for WR free agents.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 08:00 PM)jason Wrote: I keep hearing what a weak draft class this is for WRs.  If Marvin Jones is the "clear No.1 WR free agent" (I'm not sure he is), then it is a very weak  year for WR free agents.

Honestly, if Jeffery is tagged, I think I might like Rueben Randle more than Jones to be the #1 FA WR. Same draft class, better production, 0 games missed.

Really the only thing Jones has over Randle is some people might think of Jones as a #1 for some reason, while people agree Randle is a #2. Outside of that, pretty much entirely better/healthier.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Honestly, if Jeffery is tagged, I think I might like Rueben Randle more than Jones to be the #1 FA WR. Same draft class, better production, 0 games missed.

Really the only thing Jones has over Randle is some people might think of Jones as a #1 for some reason, while people agree Randle is a #2. Outside of that, pretty much entirely better/healthier.

Thats funny. Randle was a 2nd round pick with higher expectations and more opportunity early in his career yet for every healthy year Marvin basically trumps him. And Randle had a seasoned vet QB he didnt have to wait to grow. And the Giants D has been trash resulting in plenty of throwing late in the game. 

Marvin had a serious injury and missed a year. Its a violent sport and that stuff happens. You can keep trying to cut Marvin down. It wont matter.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you look at Sanu's numbers he should be cheap, he has continually fell off for the last couple years...

agree on the falling off, but his agent can downplay that some talking about the QB or targets. My concern isn't that he's going to be irreplaceable, just that the market this season is going to drive up costs because it's thin. And we tend not to care what the market is doing, which could leave us with green, eifert and ... I dunno. Burkhead? LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2016, 07:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's amazing how the Bengals always seem to have players that can't seem to produce like they're capable of. Supposedly.

I'm still waiting for Gresham to blow up in a different system. Caldwell and Simpson too.

True, but the other side of that equation is wondering what it says of our team when our starters leave and can't get on the field for anyone else.  Maybe we just rid of everyone at the exact right time.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2016, 12:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, but the other side of that equation is wondering what it says of our team when our starters leave and can't get on the field for anyone else.  Maybe we just rid of everyone at the exact right time.

Looking at guys like Gresh, Warrick and Chad etc, you have a point there.

Guys like Caldwell and Simpson just weren't as good as people thought though. It's not like they flopped elsewhere due to age or injury.

I'm not saying MLJ in on par with those two, but I don't think he's going to go elsewhere and become an 80-1200-10 guy. I think he is what he is. An okay #2. We missed him in 2014, but I think that was more due to the lack of quality targets elsewhere than MLJ being a great player.
Reply/Quote