Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones Leg Injury.
[Image: Carnac.jpg]

Live look at the Bengals MB
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 08:00 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Personally, I think management squandered their opportunity to go out and get a legitimate #2 WR in free agency this year.  I think our WR's are pretty weak (excluding AJ).  
I hope Marvin Jones heals quickly but I'm not holding my breath.

Would you have signed Maclin for $55 million? Or Torrey Smith for $40 million?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 04:08 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Would you have signed Maclin for $55 million? Or Torrey Smith for $40 million?

Would they have signed knowing they'd never be more than a #2 here? (3 if Jones is healthy tbh)

But that doesn't matter. It's about blaming the FO. 
It's like Madden, you just sign players they have no say.

And you should clearly always draft in case of injury. That's smart drafting 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 10:38 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Marvin Jones is like Brandon Ghee? That's a stretch. I don't think Ghee has ever legitimately contributed..

but that is besides the point.

Lets wait and see what happens before calling him done.

Also. There is less need for a bonafide #2 when you have good TE's, a good running game and a star like AJ. Not to mention some decent slot threats. I think there are plenty of guys in TC right now that could fill in the #2 role, but the coaching staff might not allow it.

Tevin Reese flying down the field each play would interest me... but I'm not the coaching staff.

I wasn't saying he was done, but it is something that is worth keeping an eye on. As for the Ghee comparison, it wasn't as much about on field that i was making the comparison but the get injured, rehab, come back ready to go and then...re-injured. Jones has missed a lot of games in his young career.

What decent threats do we have on this team after AJ? One TE that has played in the league and then rookies, plus Eifert is a question mark. Is he fully healthy, will he stay healthy, can he produce as the number 1 TE. Then there is Sanu who is a slot option, then...Tate, Little, Alford (who may develop but is a rookie.) Losing Jones is actual a rather big deal, look at last year and the domino effect for the proof of that.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 03:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I wasn't saying he was done, but it is something that is worth keeping an eye on. As for the Ghee comparison, it wasn't as much about on field that i was making the comparison but the get injured, rehab, come back ready to go and then...re-injured. Jones has missed a lot of games in his young career.

What decent threats do we have on this team after AJ? One TE that has played in the league and then rookies, plus Eifert is a question mark. Is he fully healthy, will he stay healthy, can he produce as the number 1 TE. Then there is Sanu who is a slot option, then...Tate, Little, Alford (who may develop but is a rookie.) Losing Jones is actual a rather big deal, look at last year and the domino effect for the proof of that.

No I agree it is a big deal. I just meant that as of right now with the other pieces healthy, it's ok if Jones is down for a few weeks.

Under the assumption that our players are all fragile and will all be hurt, yes it is significant... but I'm hoping Eifert, AJ, and the rest of the guys can stay healthy.

Have to remember that Hill was also hurt after the 1st quarter of the playoff game. So MLJ is only 1 of 4 pieces coming back from injury (from that game), which makes it less significant in a way if that makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 04:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Would they have signed knowing they'd never be more than a #2 here? (3 if Jones is healthy tbh)

But that doesn't matter. It's about blaming the FO. 
It's like Madden, you just sign players they have no say.

And you should clearly always draft in case of injury. That's smart drafting 
Fo bellyaching aside, When your top 3 receivers are entering a contract year, however, your plan better be more than Standing pat, rex burkhead and d. Moore.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 04:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And you should clearly always draft in case of injury. That's smart drafting 

Oh I know, right? Screw actual needs, why not just draft 7 WRs just in case a couple of them have random injuries again? Obviously that can't happen to the other position groups. The Bengals biggest needs going into the draft were obviously TE and LB, and then S and O-line depth had to be near the top of the list. Our first 5 draft choices and 7 of the 9 all together were in those positions. I'm pretty sure the team did a fine job drafting for where the holes are.

(08-06-2015, 08:31 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Fo bellyaching aside, When your top 3 receivers are entering a contract year, however, your plan better be more than Standing pat, rex burkhead and d. Moore.

When your top 2 OT are entering a contract year and one of them is getting up there in age while the other has had motivation issues, it's smart to take care of that with early draft picks.
When the only TE on the roster has played a total of 1 season as a TE2 and spent last year injured, you have to take care of that position ahead of worrying about your WR5.
When you have one of the worst LB corp in the league and your WILL is having microfracture surgery, you have to put LB near the top of the list to take care of.

Listen, I don't usually defend MB and/or ML, but what else did you really want them to do here? Do you really think they're just going to let A.J., Sanu, and Jones all walk after the season is over? I'm 99.99999% certain that they have a plan in place for the WRs. You can't take every single position highly in the draft, you only get 1 pick in each of the rounds. You also have to look at free agency to see who was realistically available. I've been calling for a vet WR in free agency for a few years now, but I guess I don't think it's as big of an issue as others do. Marvin Jones is a very good athlete, I think some Bengals fans really underrate the guy and don't give him enough credit. He is a solid #2 at absolute worst, and while Sanu isn't a great #1 or #2, he's definitely not a bad #3/slot receiver. We were looking for a WR4, and the Bengals picked up Moore. They didn't feel we needed a 2/3, so why would they have pursued a guy like Cobb, Maclin, or Smith?

Trust me, I wouldn't have complained one bit had we gone out and signed a top WR. I'd love to see this team more active in free agency from time to time. I just don't think it's the end of the world that it didn't happen, and we have plenty of guys capable of catching footballs this upcoming year. There were bigger fish to fry in the draft, and there weren't a ton of exciting options in FA. A lot of people thought Moore was a solid WR4 signing, so even if he doesn't pan out, it's not like they didn't try to get a guy for the role they needed because they absolutely did.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:51 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Oh I know, right? Screw actual needs, why not just draft 7 WRs just in case a couple of them have random injuries again? Obviously that can't happen to the other position groups. The Bengals biggest needs going into the draft were obviously TE and LB, and then S and O-line depth had to be near the top of the list. Our first 5 draft choices and 7 of the 9 all together were in those positions. I'm pretty sure the team did a fine job drafting for where the holes are.

When your top 2 OT are entering a contract year and one of them is getting up there in age while the other has had motivation issues, it's smart to take care of that with early draft picks.
When the only TE on the roster has played a total of 1 season as a TE2 and spent last year injured, you have to take care of that position ahead of worrying about your WR5.
When you have one of the worst LB corp in the league and your WILL is having microfracture surgery, you have to put LB near the top of the list to take care of.

Listen, I don't usually defend MB and/or ML, but what else did you really want them to do here? Do you really think they're just going to let A.J., Sanu, and Jones all walk after the season is over? I'm 99.99999% certain that they have a plan in place for the WRs. You can't take every single position highly in the draft, you only get 1 pick in each of the rounds. You also have to look at free agency to see who was realistically available. I've been calling for a vet WR in free agency for a few years now, but I guess I don't think it's as big of an issue as others do. Marvin Jones is a very good athlete, I think some Bengals fans really underrate the guy and don't give him enough credit. He is a solid #2 at absolute worst, and while Sanu isn't a great #1 or #2, he's definitely not a bad #3/slot receiver. We were looking for a WR4, and the Bengals picked up Moore. They didn't feel we needed a 2/3, so why would they have pursued a guy like Cobb, Maclin, or Smith?

Trust me, I wouldn't have complained one bit had we gone out and signed a top WR. I'd love to see this team more active in free agency from time to time. I just don't think it's the end of the world that it didn't happen, and we have plenty of guys capable of catching footballs this upcoming year. There were bigger fish to fry in the draft, and there weren't a ton of exciting options in FA. A lot of people thought Moore was a solid WR4 signing, so even if he doesn't pan out, it's not like they didn't try to get a guy for the role they needed because they absolutely did.

I wanted a WR with our first or second round pick. But, I understand how difficult it is to find quality OT's in this league so Fisher was just too good an option to pass on in round 2. I assure you many team were not happy when we took Fisher. The Colts did the opposite and grabbed a WR in round 1 (I think they were banking on Fisher or a quality OT like Fisher in round 2 and ended up swinging and missing. Dorsett may be a stud, but it is dangerous have a poor OL protecting arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL so we will see how it all shakes out over time.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 09:23 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I wanted a WR with our first or second round pick. But, I understand how difficult it is to find quality OT's in this league so Fisher was just too good an option to pass on in round 2. I assure you many team were not happy when we took Fisher. The Colts did the opposite and grabbed a WR in round 1 (I think they were banking on Fisher or a quality OT like Fisher in round 2 and ended up swinging and missing. Dorsett may be a stud, but it is dangerous have a poor OL protecting arguably a top 5 QB in the NFL so we will see how it all shakes out over time.

Taking two tackles 1 and 2 obviously wasn't the "sexy" play, but if these two guys pan out, they will be more valuable to us in the long run than a second-round receiver.   
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:51 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Oh I know, right? Screw actual needs, why not just draft 7 WRs just in case a couple of them have random injuries again? Obviously that can't happen to the other position groups. The Bengals biggest needs going into the draft were obviously TE and LB, and then S and O-line depth had to be near the top of the list. Our first 5 draft choices and 7 of the 9 all together were in those positions. I'm pretty sure the team did a fine job drafting for where the holes are.

WR will get addressed. It's getting easier and easier for WRs to transition from college to the pros with the newer rules. 
You are getting more bigger and better athletes at the spot. 

WR was an overblown need because of the freakish nature of what happened last year, with both our top WR getting hurt. 
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: WR will get addressed. It's getting easier and easier for WRs to transition from college to the pros with the newer rules. 

WR was an overblown need because of the freakish nature of what happened last year, with both our top WR getting hurt. 

This^

Having injuries at every skill position made it seem much worse than it is. Assuming our guys aren't permanently fragile, our WR corp is actually pretty decent.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:14 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: WR will get addressed. It's getting easier and easier for WRs to transition from college to the pros with the newer rules. 

I've tried explaining this to people before. WR is one of the most NFL ready positions coming out of college nowadays, the transition has been looking quite smooth all around the league over the last few years.

People can say stuff like "yeah, but do you really want Rex Burkhead and Cobi Hamilton out there again?!", but they don't realize that it could have happened to any position group and then they'd just be complaining about an entirely different group of guys with the same argument.

We may not have the best receivers in the NFL, but they're clearly a good group. I'm much more concerned that we're trotting out guys like Emmanuel Lamur and a 31/32 year old A.J. Hawk at LB and not supposed to be worrying about it.
Reply/Quote
Tiger I seriously hope MLJ isn't out long-term.

I think the Bengals would be OK with sliding Sanu outside and Mario Telford/Rex Burkehead in the slot. Telford taking the top off the defense from the slot opens up the middle for Eifert.

Burkehead just seems to make plays...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
"In order to play football he has to practice" Marvin Lewis on Marvin Jones

This quote doesn't sound too good...
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:28 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I've tried explaining this to people before. WR is one of the most NFL ready positions coming out of college nowadays, the transition has been looking quite smooth all around the league over the last few years.

People can say stuff like "yeah, but do you really want Rex Burkhead and Cobi Hamilton out there again?!", but they don't realize that it could have happened to any position group and then they'd just be complaining about an entirely different group of guys with the same argument.

We may not have the best receivers in the NFL, but they're clearly a good group. I'm much more concerned that we're trotting out guys like Emmanuel Lamur and a 31/32 year old A.J. Hawk at LB and not supposed to be worrying about it.

Yes I do want Rex Burkhead out there again....and so do the coaches. He's been getting a lot of reps in the slot.
We have 1 slot WR in the mold we like (Sanu) and now we have a backup (Burkhead) I think that played a bigger role in the draft as well.
Burkhead could have some serious upside as a slot WR
Reply/Quote

This.

OT>WR

I would've taken Fisher over ANY WR available at that point in the draft.
Way easier to plug and play WRs than OTs
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 08:31 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Fo bellyaching aside, When your top 3 receivers are entering a contract year, however, your plan better be more than Standing pat, rex burkhead and d. Moore.

Looking at how the draft panned out, would it have been better if instead of one of those OT picks in the first two rounds, a WR was taken instead? Some would argue yes, especially if the Bengals are in a make-or-break year given all the expiring contracts this coming offseason.

Since no one could have predicted that Fisher lasted to 53, it would have made sense for the Bengals to take Fisher at 21 so that they could have an OT that could contribute in 2015 as a backup with a bright future to be a stud starting OT in 2016 and beyond.
A quality outside WR could have been selected at 53 to 1) provide insurance in case 1-2 of Green, Jones, and Sanu went down, and 2) become part of the top 3 since it's feasible (likely?) that at least one of the three will leave in FA after this season.
Some WRs that were on the board at 53 were....
Tyler Lockett
Jaelen Strong
Sammie Coates
Chris Conley

Out of those four, Strong would provide a better starting-caliber outside WR, whereas Lockett provided a dynamic playmaker in the slot as well as KR/PR.

With all of that said....there are some talented veteran WRs still out there for the Bengals to get if something serious happens to one of the top 3 Bengals WRs. The Bengals are not in the dire straights that some seem to believe.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 01:56 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger   I seriously hope MLJ isn't out long-term.

I think the Bengals would be OK with sliding Sanu outside and Mario Telford/Rex Burkehead in the slot. Telford taking the top off the defense from the slot opens up the middle for Eifert.

Burkehead just seems to make plays...

Are they going to be hanging out with Geno Adkins and Chris Collingsworth at all?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2015, 02:14 PM)3wt Wrote: Which is why we needed to draft a receiver in the 2nd round instead of a 2nd tackle.    I think Tyler Lockett would have been worth the pick there.  They've been talking about him since mini - camp.

Here's what Seattle WR Doug Baldwin had to say recently:

"This is the best receiving core I have been around in all my years of football. Kevin Smith, Doug McNeil, Tyler Lockett, Kevin Norwood and Chris Matthews are showing up in a big way and consistently. These guys are passionate about their craft and they have shown it throughout the first phase of camp. I think Tyler Lockett can be something special."
Actually, it was the first round tackle, Ogbuehi, that should never have happened. He couldn't play LT as a senior so why expect him to play it in NFL? Jake Fisher is a RT too although a better prospect IMO.  Yes, there are several made-of-glass players in Stripes. I agree a really good WR is needed.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2015, 02:21 PM)Derrick Wrote: Actually, it was the first round tackle, Ogbuehi, that should never have happened. He couldn't play LT as a senior so why expect him to play it in NFL? Jake Fisher is a RT too although a better prospect IMO.  Yes, there are several made-of-glass players in Stripes. I agree a really good WR is needed.

This past draft really did not have a lot of quality LT prospects. It was very RT heavy from a projection standpoint.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote