Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones is Top Priority for Bengals
(03-09-2016, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You also have to consider that our TE is a much better receiver option.

Agree, but I think our tight end also benefits greatly from the middle of the field being open by coverage being rolled to the wide receivers. Listen, I really like Eifert and think he is a huge red zone weapon (as evidenced by the 13 touchdowns last year) so this is not to take away from him, just saying they all benefited each other.
Reply/Quote
We got outbid by a team that suddenly got super desperate due to a rather freak occurrence. It's not often HOF-caliber players walk away with time left (er...unless they're on the Lions), so the situation was just extremely fortunate for Marvin Jones and not so hot for us.

With that being said, I wouldn't have given him that much, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we spend close to $8 million and a few picks on #2 WRs before we find a guy who was as productive as Marvin Jones was here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We got outbid by a team that suddenly got super desperate due to a rather freak occurrence.  It's not often HOF-caliber players walk away with time left (er...unless they're on the Lions), so the situation was just extremely fortunate for Marvin Jones and not so hot for us.

With that being said, I wouldn't have given him that much, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we spend close to $8 million and a few picks on #2 WRs before we find a guy who was as productive as Marvin Jones was here.

...because the Bengals don't take that position seriously enough. Mid-round picks don't cut it and they often take years to develop. Also, there are better guys than Denarius Moore and Dane Sanzenbacher in free agency, yet the Bengals don't seem to realize this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...because the Bengals don't take that position seriously enough. Mid-round picks don't cut it and they often take years to develop. Also, there are better guys than Denarius Moore and Dane Sanzenbacher in free agency, yet the Bengals don't seem to realize this.

[Image: 467580000130412130708.jpeg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: [Image: 467580000130412130708.jpeg]

[Image: Spongebob-Sarcasm-Meme-3.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...because the Bengals don't take that position seriously enough. Mid-round picks don't cut it and they often take years to develop. Also, there are better guys than Denarius Moore and Dane Sanzenbacher in free agency, yet the Bengals don't seem to realize this.

I can't disagree.  I sort of compare this to my experience buying can-openers...as much as I hate spending $12 on a can-opener, I know from experience that you'll spend $12 on four $3 can openers that will all break in no time.  So there you are, $12 in the hole and still with no can-opener because you couldn't bear to spend $12 at once.

Yes, that's the most apt real-life example I have.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2016, 10:07 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Our other priority was Brandon Tate.

MISTAKE!
Reply/Quote
Lions just lost the greatest WR in their teams history to early retirement

They were going to throw much dollars at the WR position regardless.

Congrats to MJ For being in the right place at the right time. Loved him while he was here

So whose top priority now?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 03:45 PM)Housh Wrote: So whose top priority now?

I'm not sure, but "TOP PRIORITY" is seeming like the kiss of death for keeping a guy right now.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 04:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure, but "TOP PRIORITY" is seeming like the kiss of death for keeping a guy right now.  

I would try to resign Pacman and then maybe Rishard Matthews and than move on to draft.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Marvin Jones' deal with the #Lions is for 5 years at $40M, source said. $20M in guarantees, $17M fully guaranteed. Thru 3 years, it's $27M
1 min ago - Twitter

Too much
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 04:53 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Marvin Jones' deal with the #Lions is for 5 years at $40M, source said. $20M in guarantees, $17M fully guaranteed. Thru 3 years, it's $27M
1 min ago - Twitter

Too much

That's a lot for a WR. Especially one who is a number 2 or 3. AJ Green just got 5 years 58, Demarious Thomas just got 50 mil 5 years last year. Are you telling me Jones is only 10 mil worse than D Thomas?

But you know what? Torrey Smith did get 40 mil from the 49ers so i guess the market for good receivers is strong 
Reply/Quote
I don't mind MJ leaving. I liked him and wished they could have kept him, but not at those numbers. Jones was valued at about 5.5 mil per year...the Lions paid him 8 mil per year. Good for him that he got paid. But if the Bengals had overpaid him like the Lions did, that would hamper our ability to sign others (like Eifert and Zeitler) coming up. No doubt Jones looked at being the #2 option in Detroit, with a decent QB throwing to him, versus a # 3 option (behind Green and Eifert) here at best. He will get more targets, and more money. I don't deny him his chance to do that. I am glad the Bengals didn't pay 8 mil per year for him though. I am also just glad he didnt go to the browns. Good luck Marvin, thanks for your time here.
Reply/Quote