Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones likely to Det
(03-09-2016, 12:05 PM)BernLock Wrote: 8 million a year is outrageous for jones. I'm glad they didn't over pay for him. He's very replaceable. He's a good player but not 8 million a year good

He is the number two wide receiver.  That money does not seem to be way out of line... would you rather pay Marvin Jones $8 million per year or Dre Kirkpatrick $7.5?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This makes me happy. I can go back to typing just Marvin and MJ when talking about bengals without causing any confusion.

I know that was really getting annoying lol 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:57 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not surprised in the least. Kudos to him. You can't win playoff games with "me" guys. It seems he would rather make more money and catch a few more balls than go to the playoffs. This team doesn't need all of these "me" guys to be successful. I won't be surprised if we loose a couple of more and good riddance.  
Adam Jones owes whats left of his career to Cincy for taking a chance on him and helping him to save it. These other guys coming off of rookie contracts always think the grass is greener.
I prefer the team to have players that want to be on this "team" in Cincy.

All these guys are "me" players to a certain extent.  They would be stupid to put a team's best  interest in front of theirs.  If we are lucky they ultimately have the same goals but if they don't, wish them good luck and move on.

Jones does owe Cincinnati a lot....but he doesn't owe anyone a lifetime contract.  He has played hard and well for the team for the vast majority of his contract.  He has hinted he wants to stay in Cincinnati but he also deserves to get paid for his contributions as they compare against his peers

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Patriots were in play for Marvin Jones and the Bengals tried hard to get him back before the Lions snagged him (@diannaESPN on the Det news)
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)
Mar 09, 2016

O wale, Good Luck MJ.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:07 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He is the number two wide receiver.  That money does not seem to be way out of line... would you rather pay Marvin Jones $8 million per year or Dre Kirkpatrick $7.5?

Can't look at it that way.  Would I pay a #2/#3 WR on our team $8 million per year?  No.

Would I pay a starting CB that is young and is starting $7.5 million?  Yes.

Jones is good, but he definitely gets help from AJ and Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: I can't get past the issues in Miami and failure in Minny. Coyle worked with him, so if he's not on the radar that'll probably be why. Between Coyle and Zimmers recommendations. I think Wallace is done, and would be hard for me to consider an upgrade.

A burner with past success that people are so down on that they think he's out of the league? No comp penalty?  If that doesn't scream Bengals then I don't know what does.
Reply/Quote
j Can't blame him. Everyone wants to be the #1 WR. Plus Jones just made peanuts on his rookie deal as a fith round pick. By the time this new contract is over he could be too old or too banged up to get another big one. there is a very good chance that Marvin will make more money on this one contract than he will in the rest of his life combined.

Cincinnati is not his home town, and even if it was he would not be a #1 here. "Loyalty" contracts are for older players who have already made a lot of money.
Reply/Quote
Jones is not worth 8 million dollars to a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert.
He just isn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Can't look at it that way.  Would I pay a #2/#3 WR on our team $8 million per year?  No.

Would I pay a starting CB that is young and is starting $7.5 million?  Yes.

Jones is good, but he definitely gets help from AJ and Eifert.

Also Kirk is making that for one year, were overpaying to keep him around and get another year for seeing just how good he can be for us. cant compare a multi year contract to a one year overpay
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Jones is not worth 8 million dollars to a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert.
He just isn't.

I agree.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Also Kirk is making that for one year, were overpaying to keep him around and get another year for seeing just how good he can be for us. cant compare a multi year contract to a one year overpay

Should you really need to "keep him around to see how good he can be" when he is going into his fifth NFL season?  Shouldn't they already have a very good idea what he is?

I understand they are two different positions, just saying that $8 million per year is not completely outrageous for a number two wide receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:39 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: **** you Detroit but thanks for the 3rd round Comp pick next year.
Congrats Marvin Jones. Good luck.

I'm no Lions fan, but they had 2 of their best players walk away from the game early to escape them AND now they're replacing a HOF WR with an $8 million #3 target of ours.  Haven't they suffered enough?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:11 PM)pally Wrote: All these guys are "me" players to a certain extent.  They would be stupid to put a team's best  interest in front of theirs.  If we are lucky they ultimately have the same goals but if they don't, wish them good luck and move on.

Jones does owe Cincinnati a lot....but he doesn't owe anyone a lifetime contract.  He has played hard and well for the team for the vast majority of his contract.  He has hinted he wants to stay in Cincinnati but he also deserves to get paid for his contributions as they compare against his peers

I don't disagree with anything that you wrote. In fact I agree with most of it. At the same time I stand by what I wrote as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: He'll be back. Lions will cut him within 2 years.

I'm picturing Mario Manningham. Takes the opportunity to get WR1 money and be a WR1...only to find out he really isn't a true WR1 and resorts to being a WR2 again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
interesting point by Dehner

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr 14m14 minutes ago
For reference, had #Bengals paid Marvin Jones $8M/year, combo of per year money btw top two WRs would be $23M. Next highest? GB at $20M.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Jones is not worth 8 million dollars to a team with AJ Green and Tyler Eifert.
He just isn't.

(03-09-2016, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree.

Something that we all agree on.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Should you really need to "keep him around to see how good he can be" when he is going into his fifth NFL season?  Shouldn't they already have a very good idea what he is?

I understand they are two different positions, just saying that $8 million per year is not completely outrageous for a number two wide receiver.

Top CB's are getting $13 million a year.  You would be surprised how little $7.5 million buys you if you go shopping in free agency for a starting CB.

I agree $8 million a year may not be outrageous for a #2 WR for some teams, but it is for us.  Especially in our current free agent situation.
Reply/Quote
"It wasn't about the money, it was about the opportunity." - Marvin Jones

That tells me that regardless of the Bengals offer, he wasn't signing here as long as A.J. Green was on the roster. He wants to be a #1 WR, regardless of whether he's capable or not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm picturing Mario Manningham. Takes the opportunity to get WR1 money and be a WR1...only to find out he really isn't a true WR1 and resorts to being a WR2 again.

I actually believe Marvin may have the tools to be a #1.

But who the hell wants to be the guy that replaces Megatron?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:57 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not surprised in the least. Kudos to him. You can't win playoff games with "me" guys. It seems he would rather make more money and catch a few more balls than go to the playoffs. This team doesn't need all of these "me" guys to be successful. I won't be surprised if we loose a couple of more and good riddance.  
Adam Jones owes whats left of his career to Cincy for taking a chance on him and helping him to save it. These other guys coming off of rookie contracts always think the grass is greener.
I prefer the team to have players that want to be on this "team" in Cincy.

Holy moses, that's a heapin' helpin' of sour grapes!  Did you watch the playoffs this year?  I can name a whole slew of selfish jerks who had post-season success this year alone.  I don't think we should have paid Marvin Jones $8 million, but geez.
Reply/Quote