Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Jones likely to Det
(03-09-2016, 12:35 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote:  He wants to be a #1 WR, regardless of whether he's capable or not.

Guys who make it to the NFL generally have a lot of self confidence.

I am guessing every single young #2 WR in the league believes he can be a #1.
Reply/Quote
After missing all of 2014 due to injury, 65 passes for 816 yards and 4 TDs in 2015.

No doubt a good signing for the Lions.
Reply/Quote
Well, we'll see if Stafford's just heave it and let Megatron go get it approach works with Marvin.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guys who make it to the NFL generally have a lot of self confidence.

shoot even some old married #2 WR thinks they can be #1....see T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I actually believe Marvin may have the tools to be a #1.

But who the hell wants to be the guy that replaces Megatron?

Good point. I should have also added I think Marvin Jones has a better shot to actually be a WR1 than Manningham did. My statement was more of a worry.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guys who make it to the NFL generally have a lot of self confidence.

I pointed this out when people asked why he'd want to leave here to go to Cleveland.  Let's face it, the guy is getting a massive pay increase and he's getting a promotion that he did earn through his play here.  People say they want confidence and "swagger" in an NFL player, but also get upset when that same guy has enough fire in him to want to rise up the depth chart.

Do you think winning franchises stock their benches with people who say "Well, I'm just happy to sit the bench!"
Reply/Quote

It is the same with coaches.  People asked why Hue would want to go to Cleveland... because his self confidence told him he can be the guy to turn it around.  In order to be successful at this level, a person has to have A LOT of self confidence.  You cannot doubt yourself.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 11:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: When Megatron retired this seemed inevitable. They needed a #1 and he is the closest thing on the market to a #1. I am guessing his contract will be on the low end #1 with incentives to get him to mid tier.

They have a #1. His name is Golden Tate.

They do need another good WR to make that offense go. Without Calvin, they would've been hurting after Golden.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:00 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It is the same with coaches.  People asked why Hue would want to go to Cleveland... because his self confidence told him he can be the guy to turn it around.  In order to be successful at this level, a person has to have A LOT of self confidence.  You cannot doubt yourself.

Exactly.  I don't expect a layperson to understand the mentality of people who are top in the world at doing something.  It seems like a lot of people have this idea that sitting the bench or holding a clipboard in the NFL would be the best job ever (I can't disagree), but they don't realize that guys who are content to be the backup QB, or the #3 target in the passing game DON'T get to the NFL, because an "Oh, that'll do...I'm content!" attitude will quash your career before you get that chance.

Again, people want a confident and effective team and you don't get that by stocking your depth with players who openly admit they are happy being a backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly.  I don't expect a layperson to understand the mentality of people who are top in the world at doing something.  It seems like a lot of people have this idea that sitting the bench or holding a clipboard in the NFL would be the best job ever (I can't disagree), but they don't realize that guys who are content to be the backup QB, or the #3 target in the passing game DON'T get to the NFL, because an "Oh, that'll do...I'm content!" attitude will quash your career before you get that chance.

Again, people want a confident and effective team and you don't get that by stocking your depth with players who openly admit they are happy being a backup.

[Image: 7a02a00d1cfd79ccd9226a13027e652370132bf2...dc3409.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They have a #1. His name is Golden Tate.

They do need another good WR to make that offense go. Without Calvin, they would've been hurting after Golden.

Yes but who steps into the Calvin role of "Stafford about to be sacked yet again so he heaves it for Calvin to make a miraculous catch in traffic?"  MLJ is pretty good at that but he ain't no Megatron
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly.  I don't expect a layperson to understand the mentality of people who are top in the world at doing something.  It seems like a lot of people have this idea that sitting the bench or holding a clipboard in the NFL would be the best job ever (I can't disagree), but they don't realize that guys who are content to be the backup QB, or the #3 target in the passing game DON'T get to the NFL, because an "Oh, that'll do...I'm content!" attitude will quash your career before you get that chance.

You have to be borderline arrogant to carry yourself onto that field every week.  If you have or show weakness, the opposition is going to sense it and pounce like jungle cats (pun intended).  It's the same with players, coaches, front office personnel, politicians, business leaders, etc.  You have to completely believe you are better than the next guy, you have more to offer, or you will never reach the level we're talking about.

I own an executive recruiting firm and make my livelihood dealing with mostly mid level and multi state managers, but also the occasional national manager.  There is not one of them who does not make exceptionally good money.  There is also not one of them who doesn't believe he is capable of making more and of doing his boss' job.  I am almost certain this same mindset applies to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:18 PM)McC Wrote: Yes but who steps into the Calvin role of "Stafford about to be sacked yet again so he heaves it for Calvin to make a miraculous catch in traffic?"  MLJ is pretty good at that but he ain't no Megatron

They're not going to be able to replace that. That's why Calvin was the best. They can only hope to provide Stafford with good targets and hope for the best.

I could see Eric Ebron becoming Stafford's safety valve. He is progressing.

...btw, that Lions o-line is one of the worst I've seen. My Wife is a Lions fan and I had the misfortune of seeing several games last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:22 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You have to be borderline arrogant to carry yourself onto that field every week.  If you have or show weakness, the opposition is going to sense it and pounce like jungle cats (pun intended).  It's the same with players, coaches, front office personnel, politicians, business leaders, etc.  You have to completely believe you are better than the next guy, you have more to offer, or you will never reach the level we're talking about.

I own an executive recruiting firm and make my livelihood dealing with mostly mid level and multi state managers, but also the occasional national manager.  There is not one of them who does not make exceptionally good money.  There is also not one of them who doesn't believe he is capable of making more and of doing his boss' job.  I am almost certain this same mindset applies to the NFL.

Indeed.  If you are ever at a job interview and they ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and you answer "doing this exact same job at the exact same pay rate forever" you probably won't get it.  Just a hunch.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Indeed.  If you are ever at a job interview and they ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and you answer "doing this exact same job at the exact same pay rate forever" you probably won't get it.  Just a hunch.

"I'd like to be the number two or three guy because I won't have to exert much effort, but my family will still be comfortable with the salary" is not what most hiring authorities are looking for... lmao
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They're not going to be able to replace that. That's why Calvin was the best. They can only hope to provide Stafford with good targets and hope for the best.

...btw, that Lions o-line is one of the worst I've seen. My Wife is a Lions fan and I had the misfortune of seeing several games last year.

Poor soul.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Roddy White on a 1 year deal and draft a WR in the first two rounds. POW! Marvin Jones just became a distant memory.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They're not going to be able to replace that. That's why Calvin was the best. They can only hope to provide Stafford with good targets and hope for the best.

Yep.  An absolute train wreck , which is probably what Stafford feels like he's been in at the end of every game.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:35 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  An absolute train wreck , which is probably what Stafford feels like he's been in at the end of every game.

Being Matt Stafford is probably like being hit by a dump truck full of money that you get to keep after it hits you on a weekly basis.
Reply/Quote
Yea paying 22 million a year for just 2 wide receivers is a cap management nightmare. Letting Marvin walk is a wise decision.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote