Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis - 2nd half scoring stats
Marvin Lewis has been our head coach for 15 seasons now, as you know. Including playoffs he's coached 241 games. These stats include playoff games and overtime scoring.

In those games we have been outscored in the 2nd half 2,736 - 2,465 ! A 271 point deficit.

We've been outscored in the 2nd half in playoff games 96 to 29. We've averaged scoring 4.1 points after halftime while giving up 13.7 points. We were shut out in the 2nd half in four of the playoff games and scored 7 or less in two more.

So far this season we've been outscored 102 to 54 in the 2nd half ! We've been shut out in the 2nd half three games so far this season. And scored 7 points or less in seven games.

But we all know halftime adjustments are media fantasy, right ? Ninja

More eyeopeners to follow:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It has to be ML’s philosophy. The streak is too long to determine an alternative. What exactly that is would be questionable? Conservatism would be at the top of the list I’m sure?

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 08:34 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: It has to be ML’s philosophy. The streak is too long to determine an alternative. What exactly that is would be questionable? Conservatism would be at the top of the list I’m sure?

Without a doubt... Marvin is the complete opposite of Bill Belichick. You'd think after 15 seasons of failure he would find time to take some notes? Ninja
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has an overtime record of 3 wins, 6 loses, and 3 ties.

Again the Bengals can't get it done after halftime.

Our 3 wins are against the 09 Browns who finished the season 5 - 11. The 13 Bills who finished the season 6 - 10.

With the outlier being the 15 Seahawks who finished 10-6. This was during the 8 - 0 start to 2015.

The Bengals have never scored an OT touchdown under Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has coached 241 Bengal games to date.

In 100 of those games, yes one hundred, we have scored 7 points or less after half time. What is that 40% ? little more ?

In 26 of those games we've been shut out in the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bengals have never scored an OT touchdown under Marvin.

WHAT?!?!? That’s terrible.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:45 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: WHAT?!?!?  That’s terrible.

Our post half time stats in the ML era are pretty much abysmal ! There's outliers here and there, couple good runs/seasons. But taken overall we suck in crunch time !
Reply/Quote
In 15 seasons we only have positive 2nd half scoring in 5 seasons.

04 +17
07 +18
11 +48
13 +51
15 + 35

Funny we've done better in 2nd half scoring under Dalton. Sorry I forgot - he stinks Ninja

We're not going to be on the plus side this season. Right now we're -48

In 08 we were -155 !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 11:40 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis has coached 241 Bengal games to date.

In 100 of those games, yes one hundred, we have scored 7 points or less after half time. What is that 40% ? little more ?

In 26 of those games we've been shut out in the 2nd half.

Journalistic Jargon!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 12:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Journalistic Jargon!  Ninja

I'm going to compile a few more sets of stats for us vs. NFL elite, Patriots, Steelers, etc. Us vs. teams with winning records, division winners etc. in the 2nd half.

And I don't think it's any kind of stretch at all to say I'll be proven right beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Marvin Lewis lead teams have been horribly out coached, out planned, out adjusted in the 2nd half of games time and again. It's not just a narrative ! It's true.

Anybody has any other 2nd half stats to add feel free.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 01:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm going to compile a few more sets of stats for us vs. NFL elite, Patriots, Steelers, etc. Us vs. teams with winning records, division winners etc. in the 2nd half.

And I don't think it's any kind of stretch at all to say I'll be proven right beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Marvin Lewis lead teams have been horribly out coached, out planned, out adjusted in the 2nd half of games time and again. It's not just a narrative ! It's true.

Anybody has any other 2nd half stats to add feel free.

No doubt, and nice work with all the stats.

As I've found out in the past, whenever you start really digging into Marvin's record in various situations...it can get pretty depressing.  Sick
Reply/Quote
When your philosophy in life is to play not to lose you're never going to have consistent good second halves. Marvin is a weak turd and doesn't have the mindset to make the team good in the second half.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 01:05 PM)Sweetness Wrote: When your philosophy in life is to play not to lose you're never going to have consistent good second halves. Marvin is a weak turd and doesn't have the mindset to make the team good in the second half.

^ well said!
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 12:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: In those games we have been outscored in the 2nd half 2,736 - 2,465 ! A 271 point deficit.

All 271 are probably attributed to the Steelers. That's how all those games go. We do okay with our scripted plays, keep it close at half, maybe down by 3-7 at worst. Then the second half starts, the hole in the dike bursts, the snowball starts rolling downhill, and the ass wuppin is on. 
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 12:21 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis has been our head coach for 15 seasons now, as you know. Including playoffs he's coached 241 games. These stats include playoff games and overtime scoring.

In those games we have been outscored in the 2nd half 2,736 - 2,465 ! A 271 point deficit.

We've been outscored in the 2nd half in playoff games 96 to 29. We've averaged scoring 4.1 points after halftime while giving up 13.7 points. We were shut out in the 2nd half in four of the playoff games and scored 7 or less in two more.

So far this season we've been outscored 102 to 54 in the 2nd half ! We've been shut out in the 2nd half three games so far this season. And scored 7 points or less in seven games.

But we all know halftime adjustments are media fantasy, right ?  Ninja

More eyeopeners to follow:

Knew it was really bad man, but damn. I remember arguing with Fredtoast about this very problem and he would bring
up some selective stat somehow to try and refute it that never told the whole story. Thanks for this Bengalfan74 for
confirming my suspicions on how bad Marv's teams have been in the 2nd half.

Has to be the worst 2nd half coach in the history of the NFL correct?

We already knew he was the worst playoff coach.

Will be really refreshing to finally move on from this guy at the end of the season.
Reply/Quote
I picked out 6 AFC teams who've been in the playoffs a lot in the ML tenure, here's how we stack up in 2nd half scoring against them. This is the total score of all games played including playoffs and OT if any.

Steelers: 354 Bengals: 300 Closer than I thought it would be.

Ravens: 353 Bengals: 332 I figured this would be close, Palmer kinda owned the Ravens.

Patriots: 113 Bengals: 82

Colts: 84 Bengals: 54

Broncos: 128 Bengals: 99

Texans: 125 Bengals: 55 The Texans have just waxed our @$$.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 01:05 PM)Sweetness Wrote: When your philosophy in life is to play not to lose you're never going to have consistent good second halves. Marvin is a weak turd and doesn't have the mindset to make the team good in the second half.

This style works against scrub teams, and it worked in the 80's and 90's when Marvin learned his coaching style. 
This shit doesn't work against good teams because they can pass so easily now. When you get a lead you have to put your put on their throat and not let up.

Marvin is a lot like Mike Brown. He is too nice. He tries to play a gentlemen's game and do things the right way in a league where other coaches and owners would trade their wives or mothers for a win.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 01:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: No doubt, and nice work with all the stats.

As I've found out in the past, whenever you start really digging into Marvin's record in various situations...it can get pretty depressing.  Sick

Well that's one good thing about him being here so many years... there are plenty of stats/examples that leaves zero doubt about him being a bad coach!!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2017, 01:12 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: This style works against scrub teams, and it worked in the 80's and 90's when Marvin learned his coaching style. 
This shit doesn't work against good teams because they can pass so easily now. When you get a lead you have to put your put on their throat and not let up.

Marvin is a lot like Mike Brown. He is too nice. He tries to play a gentlemen's game and do things the right way in a league where other coaches and owners would trade their wives or mothers for a win.

Exactly ! Marvin tries to play the game in 2017 like it's still 1980, three yards in a cloud of dust, field position, don't take chances, etc.
The final scores of games aren't 9-6 anymore.

(11-23-2017, 01:25 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Well that's one good thing about him being here so many years... there are plenty of stats/examples that leaves zero doubt about him being a bad coach!!

He regularly get his behind handed to him in the 2nd half. If plan A doesn't work there's no plan B, he can't adjust on the fly.
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis in Prime Time 2nd half scoring stats:

These are games started after 7PM playoffs not included, we already know he's been waxed there.

Overall Record 9 wins 21 loses. Of ML's 9 wins only 3 have come against teams that finished that season above .500 - 06 Ravens/13-3
14 Broncos/12-4  16 Dolphins/10-6

Marvin Lewis lead teams have scored 7 or less points after halftime in 16 prime time games !

Marvin Lewis lead teams have a record of 1 - 6 vs. the Steelers in PT. The lone win being in 2013.

We've been outscored 310 to 264 after half time in PT.
Reply/Quote