Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis: Bengals haven’t talked about trading AJ McCarron
Any talk of the Bengals trading backup quarterback AJ McCarron is happening only among fans and the media, and not between the Bengals and other teams.

That’s the word from Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who said the Bengals haven’t tried to trade McCarron and no other teams have contacted the Bengals about McCarron.

“AJ McCarron is a valuable member of our football team,” Lewis said. “No one has asked to trade him. We’re not going to go out and seek a trade for AJ McCarron. He’s a valuable member of the team. We’ve said that how many times?”

Browns coach Hue Jackson said this week that he wouldn’t hesitate to make a trade within the division, and some saw that as a hint that he’s interested in McCarron. Jackson was an assistant in Cincinnati for McCarron’s first two seasons, so the two already have a rapport.

But when Lewis was asked what the Browns would need to give up to get McCarron, he suggested it would take the first overall pick. Lewis was laughing as he said that, but he seems to be serious that he values having McCarron as a backup to Andy Dalton, and won’t make a trade unless it’s for the right offer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/marvin-lewis-bengals-havent-talked-about-trading-aj-mccarron/
Reply/Quote
I think they should atleast be willing to listen to offers. What if a team offers a 1st Round pick for him?

After the draft...the assets you get offered in a trade go way down.
Reply/Quote
More than likely, Marvin is saying there haven't been any talks because the Bengals haven't received the offer they want for AJ.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I would not expect a deal before the Bengals report for workouts.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 03:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think they should atleast be willing to listen to offers. What if a team offers a 1st Round pick for him?

(03-30-2017, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That’s the word from Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who said the Bengals haven’t tried to trade McCarron and no other teams have contacted the Bengals about McCarron.

No one will even make an offer until it is determined if he will be a UFA or RFA next year.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 04:31 PM)J24 Wrote: I would not expect a deal before the Bengals report for workouts.

If it happens it will be during the draft when teams find out which QBs are being taken when.

No one is giving a first round pick for Mccarron.  It will be interesting to see which teams still need a QB going into the second round, and which QBs are still available.  It could get wild if a team with an old starting QB (Ariz, NO) used a surprise first round pick on a QB.
Reply/Quote
Way to show our hand there Marvin. Why the hell would he say that. What's wrong with saying we have had interest from multiple teams. Marvin usually keeps quiet about things and the one time he should have at least said nothing at all, he says that. I think a team will show interest during the draft if the QBs are coming off the board faster than expected.
Reply/Quote
As pointed out, the day between round 1 and round 2 is where I think a trade will occur. We will have some discussions with teams before then I believe talking about possible compensation if they don't get their guy round 1, but the trigger won't get pulled until after round 1 closes.
Reply/Quote
If someone offered me a 2nd round pick for him I'd be all over it.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
He wouldn't say there have been offers even if there had been.

He would only speak about it after it happened.

Would be stupid to not get something for him though. Don't just let him walk away for nada.
Reply/Quote
I've moved on from the trading McCarron for more picks fantasy. I think it would have happened now. If he's a starter, teams would want him before offseason workouts open. That's the true deadline, not the draft.

People wonder why Marvin would admit no one wants McCarron..... This front office has never been mistaken as savvy. We've had a lot of talent come through here..... When's the last time we've traded one of our players (who didn't quit on us) for a pick?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
We need to stop the delusions over McCarron. We're talking a 5th round pick who in his playing experience showed he had no ability to read zone defenses correctly. Unless he has acquired that ability and we find a way to show that to prospective partners we won't get any big offers for him.
Reply/Quote
Smoke and mirrors at this point. Don't believe a word that GMs and HCs say about players this time of year.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:51 PM)Joelist Wrote: We're talking a 5th round pick who in his playing experience showed he had no ability to read zone defenses correctly.

This just is not true at all.

McCarron would have been shut down comp-letely in his first game if he had no ability to read a zone defense.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: When's the last time we've traded one of our players (who didn't quit on us) for a pick?

Keith Rivers in 2012.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.

McCarron would have been shut down comp-letely in his first game if he had no ability to read a zone defense.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Sorry but it is true, and I am far from the only person to note this issue. He WAS shut down in the first game (pick six among other exploits) and against Denver he looked okay against man coverage but as soon as they switched to zone he looked awful and really never looked sharp again. 

We know, in your eyes McCarron can do no wrong (like Paul Alexander I guess)....
Reply/Quote
He's not saying anything that hasn't been said or that I (we) haven't reported since the owners meetings a year ago this time. There's no playing hands or showing cards. There are very, very few secrets in this league. Read that Schefter story on SI where agents/GMs/players call him for gossip and advice, for example.

I've been saying for a year the club hasn't gotten any offers for McCarron. Not sure why that is so impossible to believe, but that's the case. I've been saying the team has put a 1 on him, or don't bother continuing the discussion. That's the price to start, at least for now.
Yes, yes, I know Lap said the team was "offered a 2 & a 4" a year ago. I heard the same thing and from what I gathered "offered" was the incorrect word used there.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 04:46 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Way to show our hand there Marvin. Why the hell would he say that. What's wrong with saying we have had interest from multiple teams. Marvin usually keeps quiet about things and the one time he should have at least said nothing at all, he says that. I think a team will show interest during the draft if the QBs are coming off the board faster than expected.

Marvy has the verbal aptitude of a politician - can't take anything he says seriously. I wonder if the players have the same problem with him. Sometimes it appears that they must. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 05:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He wouldn't say there have been offers even if there had been.

He would only speak about it after it happened.

Would be stupid to not get something for him though. Don't just let him walk away for nada.
Surely you jest! Would this illustrious brain-trust (FO) do something stupid like that???? Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Oh wait.... Sick
Reply/Quote
So the big O has spoken. I hope the bengals wouldn't be that obtuse to not listen for an offer that didn't include a 1. 2 2's would be great. A 2 and a 3 would work. He's a 5th rounder that hasn't set the world on fire. It will be interesting to see if hue goes for him if he doesn't get garappolo or goes for a pick.
Reply/Quote