Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis' Coaching Tree
After five games, teams coached by Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer are a combined 8-2. There are no superstars on either team's active roster. Even if we fold in Hue Jackson's 0-5 rebuilding Browns, Marvin's former coordinators have a combined 8-7 record. Maybe Marvin is a better mentor than he is a coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has always been great, at finding good personnel. The big knock on him has always been his ability to get his teams to produce in big games.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Marvin would be a hell of a good General Manager. He's just not a good coach. Should have kept Zimmer....
Reply/Quote
Josh Norman is a superstar.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 08:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin Lewis has always been great, at finding good personnel.  The big knock on him has always been his ability to get his teams to produce in big games.

This is why I was somewhat surprised by the promotion of Zampese. He's been with the organization since 2003 and had no offers for OC with any team during that span. Plus, the Bengals had success with bringing in Jay Gruden and bringing back Hue Jackson to be OCs. Really surprised the team didn't bring in an outside coach to be the OC.

I've always thought it's ideal to find a coordinator who had previous success in that position, became a HC, then got let go. Norv Turner and Josh McDaniels come to mind.
Which current HCs that used to be successful OCs are on the hot seat right now?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Browns have been more competitive in their losses then we have, with 4th string qb's. Hue's done a heck of a job with what he is working with.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 07:53 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After five games, teams coached by Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer are a combined 8-2.  There are no superstars on either team's active roster.  Even if we fold in Hue Jackson's 0-5 rebuilding Browns, Marvin's former coordinators have a combined 8-7 record.  Maybe Marvin is a better mentor than he is a coach.

It's funny, I said the Browns got the wrong coach for the job to a buddy the other day (Hue still may be decent there). They should have wanted Marvin over Hue. Marvin is the guy to change a culture and build a team, but he isn't the guy to lead the team that is established. If Marvin wants to keep coaching post Cincy, he should go to a rebuild and be known as the savior of franchises because he won't be known as a winner.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 08:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin Lewis has always been great, at finding good personnel.  The big knock on him has always been his ability to get his teams to produce in big games.

Yes he has.  Man, if his ability to get his team ready to play in the biggest of games matched is ability of discovering good talent (players, coaches)...

[Image: 01a354cbe27b.jpg]
Reply/Quote