Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Extension Still Leaves A Bad Taste In My Mouth
(06-05-2015, 11:58 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Hence my point.

How about a wager. Pick any team that has not made the playoffs since 2005. Any team.

Now, pick ANY football coach (current or former).

Can you picture your team winning in the playoffs if they started tomorrow with your hand-picked head coach? Why or why not?

(I really should make the wager since 1995, but not many teams can match the Bengals' previous playoff futility.)

I'll answer your rebuttal.

Sure Ill play your game. Ill pick the Rams, they haven't made the playoffs since 2004. Now Im going to pick Bill Parcels as my head coach. Watch them make the playoffs this year and win a playoff game. They have had serious QB issues but are a very stacked deep team. Getting Foles as QB this year and Parcels running the team? Not only would they be in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL they would make the playoffs (wild card behind Seattle)
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 12:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....that's debatable.....but one theory is it's the surrounding cast (a surrounding cast that won just 5 games the year before he arrived, btw, but I digress), and another is that he finally got some good coaching.....I guess we'll agree to disagree......

I think the argument is that Stanton looked ok for a while, but not as good as Palmer did.  It's a moot point though because he was injured twice over the course of the season, himself.  He got a concussion in his 3rd start and had Palmer's shoulder not gone back to being serviclable they would have had to roll with Logan Thomas in Washington (ick) and then had that knee injury near the end of the season. 

So the guy played ok but not as good as the starter, and then a bit below par, and also had 2 injuries.  That just doesn't sound like "coulda been the starter" material.  He's still the backup in AZ and he's a good one, but he won't be starting anywhere, ever.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 12:36 PM)GodFather Wrote: Sure Ill play your game. Ill pick the Rams, they haven't made the playoffs since 2004. Now Im going to pick Bill Parcels as my head coach. Watch them make the playoffs this year and win a playoff game. They have had serious QB issues but are a very stacked deep team. Getting Foles as QB this year and Parcels running the team? Not only would they be in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL they would make the playoffs (wild card behind Seattle)

.....they might just do it under Fischer....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....they might just do it under Fischer....

They may, but the Rams are this decade's team that keeps getting predicted into relevance and then ends up winning 5 or 6 games.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They may, but the Rams are this decade's team that keeps getting predicted into relevance and then ends up winning 5 or 6 games.

And the Dolphins would be in the playoffs for the last few years and Buffalo has been a team on the rise for about ten years and the Chiefs would be a force.

The Rams do have a nasty D and they've been collecting OLinemen and starting to have a decent amount of weapons on offense.   With them, like with quite a few teams, it probably comes down to the QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:26 AM)GodFather Wrote: I know its been a few months but the Bengals giving Lewis another year extension on his contract just baffles me with what the positives were with this decision? I can think of a ton of positives for holding off to see how he prepares this team in the last year of his contract and also more options at the end that would benefit the team.

But seriously you have to put Lewis at the top of the list for the reason this team went into a 4th straight playoff loss looking totally unprepared to play in the big post season games. So why? Why would they give him another year?

What do you think is going through the front offices minds with this decision and what, if any, reaction will this have on the upcoming season?

Same here GF. To me it took the urgency out of this season and there was no good reason for that.

As a matter of fact that is the reason you do not re-up the dude, let him win a Playoff game through
coaching before you reward the man. The way we have lost in every Playoff game has been the real
problem to me, it has been an ugly beatdown everytime except maybe the 2nd Texan game.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:26 AM)GodFather Wrote: I know its been a few months but the Bengals giving Lewis another year extension on his contract just baffles me with what the positives were with this decision? I can think of a ton of positives for holding off to see how he prepares this team in the last year of his contract and also more options at the end that would benefit the team.

But seriously you have to put Lewis at the top of the list for the reason this team went into a 4th straight playoff loss looking totally unprepared to play in the big post season games. So why? Why would they give him another year?

What do you think is going through the front offices minds with this decision and what, if any, reaction will this have on the upcoming season?

Adding a year just prevents lame duck status...

And gives them the oppertunity to keep him if they want if this season is more successful than last.

If it is still a bad taste in your mouth I suggest mouthwash.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Adding a year just prevents lame duck status...

And gives them the oppertunity to keep him if they want if this season is more successful than last.

If it is still a bad taste in your mouth   I suggest mouthwash.

Unfortunately thats not possible because the mouthwash you are speaking of is called "Winning"
Reply/Quote
This lame duck shit is for college......where you can lose recruits. This is PROFESSIONAL ball, you're paid to do a job. If you can't do it because a coach may, or may not lose his job at the end of the year because you shit the bed yet again, then the NFL isn't for you in the first place......

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 02:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: This lame duck shit is for college......where you can lose recruits.  This is PROFESSIONAL ball, you're paid to do a job.  If you can't do it because a coach may, or may not lose his job at the end of the year because you shit the bed yet again, then the NFL isn't for you in the first place......

Wyche be right. Don't take no shit Wyche! Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wyche be right. Don't take no shit Wyche! Smirk

Wink

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Adding a year just prevents lame duck status...

If it is still a bad taste in your mouth   I suggest mouthwash.

Is this really the mindset we have?  Better not let a head coach come within a year of his contract ending or he's going to stop trying?  Marvin's been around so long we may as well give him 5-year extensions lest he start slacking off when he only has 3 years left on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 02:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: This lame duck shit is for college......where you can lose recruits.  This is PROFESSIONAL ball, you're paid to do a job.  If you can't do it because a coach may, or may not lose his job at the end of the year because you shit the bed yet again, then the NFL isn't for you in the first place......

The cold truth is that the owner readily accepts good/decent/solid rather than striving for excellence.

He values being comfortable over taking risks to go for championships.

I really wish the Brown family would just sell the team. Sigh...
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 09:26 AM)xxlt Wrote: I just want to know if the thread title was a deliberate double entendre.

Now that is some funny shit right there!  Rep to you.[Image: thumbsup.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Won't someone please think of the '90s?!

[Image: helen-lovejoy.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 11:37 AM)GodFather Wrote: Exactly. This team has gone through alot of changes in the past decade, completely different players, multiple OC, DC and the one constant is Lewis. He can't step up and play with the big boys when it comes to the playoffs. He's lost 6 first round playoff games and the thing that is telling is they've ALL looked unprepared and not ready for the spotlight in playoff time. Were talking different players and OC/DC that went through this yet it all looks the same.

With the talent we have in players I truly believe another coach would've taken us past the first round of the playoffs. 

Doesn't it seem like the only logical conclusion is that Marvin somehow sends his team out there tight as drums.  You can't win a big game if you are wound too tight. 

Does Marvin walk around before a big game breathing into  a paper bag?  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Doesn't it seem like the only logical conclusion is that Marvin somehow sends his team out there tight as drums.  You can't win a big game if you are wound too tight. 

I always see him standing around on the sidelines with a worried look on his face.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:22 PM)McC Wrote: Doesn't it seem like the only logical conclusion is that Marvin somehow sends his team out there tight as drums.  You can't win a big game if you are wound too tight. 

Whatever he does before the big game clearly isn't working because he's 0-6. Cant blame the players or the other OC/DC either cause he's produced the same results with everyone he's ever worked with.

Maybe the better question is should Marvin be breathing into a paper bag before the big game?
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 12:17 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The cold truth is that the owner readily accepts good/decent/solid rather than striving for excellence.

Hope.......it's all we have Shake.....

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 12:17 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The cold truth is that the owner readily accepts good/decent/solid rather than striving for excellence.

Not necessarily a truth but for sure an assumption. It could very well be that he feels this is the best way to get to a Championship. Taking big risks is s guarantee of nothing. Not saying he is right or wrong just that you actually do not know it to be a truth if the owner feels one way or another or just accepts something one way or the other.
Reply/Quote