Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Extension Still Leaves A Bad Taste In My Mouth
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list. 

It's shorter than many cities, but there's got to be some talented coaches out there that wouldn't be able to resist the lure of a HC job.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always see him standing around on the sidelines with a worried look on his face.

There is really no other explanation.  Some bad vibe has to be coming off Marvin.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 10:13 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: This 'playoff hump' you speak of is not a tangible thing.  Take a look at teams that swap out coaches every 2-3 years.  They are the bottom feeders of the league.  CLE, WAS, OAK, JAX, TEN, etc

Watch how quickly SF falls after firing Harbaugh for that idiot Tomsula.  Look at how terrible CHI is after firing Lovie after a 10 win season. Stability breeds W's.  Look at the other team in our division... the one with fat idiot fans that join a Bengals message board.  They have had 3 coaches in 20+ years.  Not all of those seasons were winners.  

SF will fall off mostly because half their team is gone.  Lovie has been totally underwhelming in TB.  Why?  Not enough good players.  It usually has more to do with talent level in the NFL.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list.  Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year?  That is not how you run a franchise.  You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'.  Marvy isn't out there running routes or catching passes.  

This team was a giant steaming pile of shit before Marvy came here and they have been competitive ever since.  Marvin Lewis is the best coach this franchise has seen since Wyche.  He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy.  Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league.  Marvin would have a HC job IMMEDIATELY after getting fired or let go by the Bengals.

Come on.  We're not talking about the Podunk Panthers here.  It's the freaking NFL.  The list of coaches not willing to jump at the chance to coach an NFL team, any NFL team, especially one with this much talent, is a very short one.  To say otherwise is just silly talk.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list. 

Really? And what makes you think that? A new coach coming into a group of very talented players who have been to the playoffs for the past 4 years but failed to get past the first round in the playoffs because of the coaching or there lack of? I think if Lewis left there would be alot more coaches chomping at the bit to come to Cincy and coach.

The problem is Mike Brown's complacency that the team is making it to the playoffs and not holding his coach responsible to take this team further.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote: So many of you whine about Marvy but fail to realize that the list of coaches willing to coach in CIN is probably a short list.  Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year?  That is not how you run a franchise.  You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'.  Marvy isn't out there running routes or catching passes.  

This team was a giant steaming pile of shit before Marvy came here and they have been competitive ever since.  Marvin Lewis is the best coach this franchise has seen since Wyche.  He is the longest tenured coach in the league without a bunch of cheating allegations hanging over his legacy.  Which also means that he is the best coach in the ******* league.  Marvin would have a HC job IMMEDIATELY after getting fired or let go by the Bengals.

You do realize claiming Marvin is the best coach in the entire league immediately removes any traces of credibility you have right? LOL
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 01:26 AM)GodFather Wrote: I know its been a few months but the Bengals giving Lewis another year extension on his contract just baffles me with what the positives were with this decision? I can think of a ton of positives for holding off to see how he prepares this team in the last year of his contract and also more options at the end that would benefit the team.

But seriously you have to put Lewis at the top of the list for the reason this team went into a 4th straight playoff loss looking totally unprepared to play in the big post season games. So why? Why would they give him another year?

What do you think is going through the front offices minds with this decision and what, if any, reaction will this have on the upcoming season?
I'm torn.  I think that MB has trusted Marvin more than any other coach he has employed.  This has resulted in Mike giving up some of the control, which is a good thing.  It is no small task to get MB to do that, so I have to commend Marvin for that.  On the other hand, I have a feeling we're going to watch Zimmer and the Vikings go deep in the playoffs in the coming year.  Maybe we'll be there too.  But if Zimmer goes further than we do, I will feel sick about that because we could have kept him for ourselves.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:09 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm torn.  I think that MB has trusted Marvin more than any other coach he has employed.  This has resulted in Mike giving up some of the control, which is a good thing.  It is no small task to get MB to do that, so I have to commend Marvin for that.  On the other hand, I have a feeling we're going to watch Zimmer and the Vikings go deep in the playoffs in the coming year.  Maybe we'll be there too.  But if Zimmer goes further than we do, I will feel sick about that because we could have kept him for ourselves.

Different division, different teams.  Zimmer doesn't have this magical power that makes him a playoff winner if the Vikes even luck into a playoff birth, let alone win.  Some of you seem to forget that the AFC N is and has been the best division in the NFL for the past X years.  Just sayin.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 11:20 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: You do realize claiming Marvin is the best coach in the entire league immediately removes any traces of credibility you have right? LOL

Like I give a shit what you think my credibility is.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 11:18 PM)GodFather Wrote: Really? And what makes you think that? A new coach coming into a group of very talented players who have been to the playoffs for the past 4 years but failed to get past the first round in the playoffs because of the coaching or there lack of? I think if Lewis left there would be alot more coaches chomping at the bit to come to Cincy and coach.

The problem is Mike Brown's complacency that the team is making it to the playoffs and not holding his coach responsible to take this team further.

Blaming Mike Brown and Marvy for playoff failures is lazy and ignorant. 

The coach can only do so much, dude.  He can't go out there and recover a Dalton fumble.  He can't run routes for 'injured' AJ or Marvin Jones.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 08:53 AM)Ben Richards Wrote:   Have you not noticed CLE swapping out coaches every other year?  That is not how you run a franchise.  You don't just change coaches because coach 'can't win a playoff game'. 
Did you really just make a comparison between wanting to replace a coach after 12 seasons and teams changing coaches every other year?

This argument always kills me.  "Look at Cleveland..."  We're talking about some fans wanting a change after 12 ***** seasons.  T-W-E-L-V-E.  That, in no way at all, is wanting to take a similar approach to Cleveland.

The extremes some of the defenders go to to paint others as irrational is amazing.  Want a certain FA, you want Albert Hanesworth.  Want to spend more money, you want to be the Redskins.  Want a change at head coach, you want to be like the Browns.  I'm assuming if someone said they don't like shit sandwhiches that you in turn say they expect steak every meal. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:37 PM)Ben Richards Wrote: Blaming Mike Brown and Marvy for playoff failures is lazy and ignorant. 

The coach can only do so much, dude.  He can't go out there and recover a Dalton fumble.  He can't run routes for 'injured' AJ or Marvin Jones.

It IS both of their responsiblity to ensure they have players who can execute, and it is ultimately Mediocre Marv's responsibility to ensure his players excute. It's like blaming the rank and file for the outcome of poor management decisions.

His teams ALWAYS look flat and unprepared in big situations.  That's a hallmark of bad coaching.....because this has been a recurring theme across two rosters.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This is like the kid who averages 80% on the tests throughout the year and then scores 0% on the finals.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:37 PM)Ben Richards Wrote: Blaming Mike Brown and Marvy for playoff failures is lazy and ignorant. 

So what, in your colorful opinion, would be a reason for blowing the big games in primetime, and the playoffs?  Bad luck?  We've had bad luck in 6 playoff games?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 02:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did you really just make a comparison between wanting to replace a coach after 12 seasons and teams changing coaches every other year?

This argument always kills me.  "Look at Cleveland..."  We're talking about some fans wanting a change after 12 ***** seasons.  T-W-E-L-V-E.  That, in no way at all, is wanting to take a similar approach to Cleveland.

The extremes some of the defenders go to to paint others as irrational is amazing.  Want a certain FA, you want Albert Hanesworth.  Want to spend more money, you want to be the Redskins.  Want a change at head coach, you want to be like the Browns.  I'm assuming if someone said they don't like shit sandwhiches that you in turn say they expect steak every meal. Rolleyes

Exactly ! It never ceases to amaze me how far to the extreme edge of an argument (mostly the homers) will go to make it fit their narrative.

(06-07-2015, 03:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: It IS both of their responsiblity to ensure they have players who can execute, and it is ultimately Mediocre Marv's responsibility to ensure his players excute. It's like blaming the rank and file for the outcome of poor management decisions.

His teams ALWAYS look flat and unprepared in big situations.  That's a hallmark of bad coaching.....because this has been a recurring theme across two rosters.

Exactly ! It happens once it could be many things. Twice one eyebrow goes up, if you can't see a pattern after 6 times ??? Either we've got the $hittest players in the NFL talent wise and they just happen to be the luckiest regular season bass turds ever.

Or we get outcoached bad again and again. You choose
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly ! It never ceases to amaze me how far to the extreme edge of an argument (mostly the homers) will go to make it fit their narrative.

Exactly ! It happens once it could be many things. Twice one eyebrow goes up, if you can't see a pattern after 6 times ??? Either we've got the $hittest players in the NFL talent wise and they just happen to be the luckiest regular season bass turds ever.

It is a pretty easy choice.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 02:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Did you really just make a comparison between wanting to replace a coach after 12 seasons and teams changing coaches every other year?

Let's not forget that the Browns are also proof positive that drafting players in the first round leads to failure.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 08:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly ! It never ceases to amaze me how far to the extreme edge of an argument (mostly the homers) will go to make it fit their narrative.

I've said it over and over 'fan:  either we are extremely unlucky to KEEP drafting choke artist players, or we have a coaching issue.......there can be no other alternative.  Now, which sounds more plausible? 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

(06-07-2015, 11:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've said it over and over 'fan:  either we are extremely unlucky to KEEP drafting choke artist players, or we have a coaching issue.......there can be no other alternative.  Now, which sounds more plausible? 

It pretty much dumbfounds me how others can't see this ? We've been "in" our six playoffs game for a total of like 3 and a half qtrs. The other 20 and a half qtrs. we've looked unmotivated, uninspired, clueless, deer in headlights, unsure, no heart, no sense of urgency, and outclassed to the point that we didn't even deserve to be there !

Our team talent wise hasn't been that bad. It's been posted into the ground but 13 second half points in 6 tries ???? WTF
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It pretty much dumbfounds me how others can't see this ? We've been "in" our six playoffs game for a total of like 3 and a half qtrs. The other 20 and a half qtrs. we've looked unmotivated, uninspired, clueless, deer in headlights, unsure, no heart, no sense of urgency, and outclassed to the point that we didn't even deserve to be there !

Our team talent wise hasn't been that bad. It's been posted into the ground but 13 second half points in 6 tries ???? WTF

But god forbid if you hold the head coach accountable for that! Ninja
Reply/Quote