Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Flaw...He Lacks Control That Winners Need
(01-16-2016, 02:28 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: So it was his fault that Jeremy Hill fumbled the game away?  It was his fault the refs blew countless calls (Bryant TD, Shazier hit, Shawn Williams hit, Porter on the field, etc.)?  It was his fault his starting QB broke his thumb on a freak play?  It was his fault AJ Green stopped running his route in the Denver game when McCarron delivered a perfect thrown ball that should have been a TD, effectively winning that game and getting them a first round bye?

Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling.

It was his fault the offense was running ball, which made it possible for Hill to fumble. At that point in the game TIME is the most important thing. The correct call was take knees, force Pitt to use timeouts and attempt a FG. When the HC gets tight, the players will play tight, which leads to them making mistakes.
Reply/Quote
I'm one of Marvin's biggest detractors and even I am giving him a pass on this one. When you see your RB get knocked out on a illegal hit after seeing it so many times before from these very same guys..it's time to say when. Because at that point it becomes obvious the refs aren't going to protect you and considering Marvin is on the sideline he isn't going to protect you either.

Also, OP if you think the Bryant TD was legit you need to do some more research. Slow it down, watch the ball, watch his legs, and tell me he had full control with 2 feet down before flipping out of the endzone.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:55 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: It was his fault the offense was running ball, which made it possible for Hill to fumble. At that point in the game TIME is the most important thing. The correct call was take knees, force Pitt to use timeouts and attempt a FG. When the HC gets tight, the players will play tight, which leads to them making mistakes.

Running the ball was the correct play.  They started that drive at the 26 yard line.  After 3 kneel downs, they are backed up to the 28-30 yard line, making that a 47 yard field goal.  In the conditions they were playing in, I'm not so sure I want to risk kicking a field goal at that distance.  Flukey things happen on field goals, just ask the Vikings.  

I know Marvin bashing is a favorite pastime for so many people, but at what point do the players take the blame?  Why can't you just admit Hill didn't carry the ball with two hands and he screwed up?  He had 6-7 yards on that run before the fumble.  We get 3 yards over the next two plays the game is completely over.  I guarantee people would've been saying Marvin was too conservative if they did 3 kneel downs and then Nugent missed.  How do I know?  Because whatever happens people always think it's Marvin's fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:24 AM)whodeyfan1 Wrote: I think the whole argument of "Marvin has no control over his players" is a bit tired and overplayed.  What is Marvin supposed to do.. threaten these guys that if they don't behave in class they will have to sit in time out?  Marvin knows the fire these guys brings to the field.  He also knows that their talents and the good they bring to the team greatly outweighs the negatives.  Burfict had only 3 personal foul calls all season.  What did Pacman have, 2?  It's not like these guys are costing them games on a weekly basis.  Burfict essentially closed the last game with his interception.  He even helped the comeback by his big hit on Ben, knocking him out of the game.  I can guarantee any other coach would love to have Burfict.  He would start every game any where else, and he would continue to have questionable hits and personal fouls, because that's just who he is.  He's a great player because of the intensity he brings.  You can't hold that back, unless you sit him, but then you are hurting the team more than if he was playing.

Benching Burfict is exactly what Marvin should do.  Marvin should tell Burfict to knock off the horseshit.  No more punching players in the nuts.  No more twisting ankles after the tackle.  Etcetera.  That's stupidity, not intensity.  Geno Atkins plays with intensity minus the stupid bullshit.  Marvin makes it clear Burfict plays Marvin's way.  If not then he will sit the bench which will hurt the team.  If Burfict cares about the team and his teammates he will listen to his coach.  Marvin needs to tell the rest of the defense if Burfict does something stupid he will be benched.  So if they're on the field together, keep an eye on that shit and police themselves. 

This is Intro to Baby Sitting 101.  Take away their toys and they will behave IOT get them back.  It's just that simple.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2016, 02:55 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: It was his fault the offense was running ball, which made it possible for Hill to fumble. At that point in the game TIME is the most important thing. The correct call was take knees, force Pitt to use timeouts and attempt a FG. When the HC gets tight, the players will play tight, which leads to them making mistakes.

I don't believe any team in the league would have knelt three times in that circumstance. If they kneel three times and miss the field goal they're in a worse position than they were with the fumble.  Can you imagine what people would be saying about a decision like that?  Crazy.

No, you need to be able to trust your back to carry the ball three times.  If they make a first down the game is over and you don't even have to attempt the field goal. 
Reply/Quote
We lost the game because Hill is too immature and fumbled the ball. There is no way a running back can allow that to happen in that situation. End of story.  Marvin screwed up by not using Burkhead or Peerman, neither of whom would have fumbled.

The officiating in the game was disgraceful. We got royally screwed on the Williams personal foul, the no call on DeCastro, the no call on Shazier, the no call on Porter. The NFL officials are the worst in professional sports and it is not even a close call.

They absolutely had an attitude about not calling fouls or  calling plays for Steelers that did not apply to Bengals.

There is no way any sane ref in real time could have seen that Bryant had control on his "TD." The right call on the field should have been no catch which they could have reversed on reply if he actually had had control. Promise you that would have been the call if AJ Green had made a similar catch. It is all about Steeler and Big Ben bias.

But we were also really stupid. What is the world is a vet like Peko doing running on to the field to harass a Steeler after we had just stopped a drive or under any circumstances? I mean honestly- WTF is he thinking. Burfict's hit not as bad as Shazier's but WTF is he thinking. The ball was way over Brown's head and he ad time to pull up. How can he not know that the officials are going to flag him because of his reputation.

WTF Adam Jones. I know Porter in on the field but you also have a rep. You cannot push the official.

I do blame this absolutely immature and undisciplined mind set- as well as Hill not being mature enough to hold the ball - on the coaching. None of this would happen on New England.

I honestly think that Marvin has acted selfishly in not resigning. It looks to me that the word is out that Gunther will be the next head coach and that the D coaches are leaving because there is no chance for advancement.

Marvin should have resigned and given someone else a chance. If he does not make the playoffs next year or if he does and loses the playoff game - there really is only so much the fan base can take.

I think we should be grateful that Bengals management has come a long way but no other team would keep a coach that has lost 7 consecutive playoff games - I don't care about the excuses or reasons.

How many does he need to lose - 8, 9 , 10 - 20.

At some point it is Marvin who has to step up and accept accountability. He has not done this.

Marvin should have been let go and some other leader given a chance with this group. Very bad judgment on Bengals management for not seeing this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 09:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You only have a point because a kicker missed a 27 yard field goal.
(01-15-2016, 08:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, because Zimmer is going deep in the playoffs every year.

I'm talking about character and discipline.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote