Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis Number 1 failure
This board needs to keep chopping wood.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
This board needs to keep pounding the rock.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Which coach is worse, one that goes 0-1 in postseason or one that goes 0-7?

You know, I know and Marvin himself knows he's the worst postseason coach in the history of Pro Football and it isn't even close.  You can tell in his postgame pressers after such games that he's distraught about the loss but even more ashamed of himself and his inability to get his team ready in the biggest game(s) of the year.  He knows he doesn't have what it takes but he's also aware that he has a great gig because seemingly no matter what he will have a job with a Head Coaches' salary.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Marvin is one of the more successful coaches in the league.  He is not an elite coach, but he is not as bad as many of you claim.

2.  EVERY coach says the exact same thing.

3.  Marvin DOES blame the coaches.  i have heard him say it many times.

This thread is a complete fail.

I think the complete fail is Marvin not self-scouting and realizing that his approach to big games has not been working.  He just needs to coach better?  Well, I would offer that better coaching would imply a change in approach, and I haven't seen it.  He comes out playing every big game conservative as hell and always falls behind. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Which coach is worse, one that goes 0-1 in postseason or one that goes 0-7?

When talking specifically about postseason coaching performance, the answer is rather obvious...at least to most people.

And because I know where you're going with this...I'll do you one better. Yes, you can even find coaches that have won playoff games that were much worse 'overall' coaches than Marvin. However, that does nothing to change the record setting level of playoff failure that Marvin has accumulated

Unfortunately, there is no argument or comparison that can change that fact.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There's no doubt that he's currently one of the most successful regular season coaches in the league.

There's also no doubt that he's the single worst postseason coach in the history of the NFL.

This is what makes it difficult to judge his his success as a whole. Such extreme opposites in terms of regular season and postseason achievements. Very good at 'getting there'...completely inept (thus far) at going any farther.

I try to be fair with Marvin...giving him credit for assembling talent and putting a competitive product on the field year after year...but the playoff failure is so glaringly bad, it's impossible to gloss over or make excuses for anymore.

Spot on as usual Holic. Cannot defend Marv.

I said something really nice about him in the Burfict/Lewis article thread cause he has handled Burfict great but..

What you say here rings all too true. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 03:04 PM)PDub80 Wrote: That guy's a champion several times over and he even cheated once or twice to make some of those happen. He can say whatever the F he pleases and it's going to be 100℅ acceptable to me.

Behind closed doors Bill's a stone cold killer and probably the greatest coach of all time. In contrast, the Charlie Brown coaching my favorite team is a giggler.

They both have the same personalities....They are not the type to come out in public and bash their players and coaches in the media....  I said nothing about Belicheat's accomplishments....He stated that Belicheat does not say things like Marvin does after a game and actually he says exactly the same things...I posted the transcript and he say things very similar to Marvin at least 10 different times in that presser...

BTW...when have you been in the team's locker room before or after a game and heard Marvin giggle?  I hear it at pressers when a reporter asks a stupid question or right after a game when he and his coaches have not even looked at film to answer the stupid questions....What else is he supposed to say or do?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on as usual Holic. Cannot defend Marv.

I said something really nice about him in the Burfict/Lewis article thread cause he has handled Burfict great but..

What you say here rings all too true. Mellow

Yeah man, there's lots of good things you can say about Marvin. He's accomplished a lot of things during his tenure here. Unfortunately, when it comes to 'end results'...his record is one of failure and wasted opportunities.

I hope like hell that can change this season because it would actually be very cool to see Marvin get that gorilla off his (and the team's) back and make a legit playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:26 PM)spazz70 Wrote: They both have the same personalities....They are not the type to come out in public and bash their players and coaches in the media....  I said nothing about Belicheat's accomplishments....He stated that Belicheat does not say things like Marvin does after a game and actually he says exactly the same things...I posted the transcript and he say things very similar to Marvin at least 10 different times in that presser...

BTW...when have you been in the team's locker room before or after a game and heard Marvin giggle?  I hear it at pressers when a reporter asks a stupid question or right after a game when he and his coaches have not even looked at film to answer the stupid questions....What else is he supposed to say or do?

Yeah, if you posted Belicheck's transcript and said it was Marv no one on this board would of questioned it.

They sound THAT ALIKE.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah man, there's lots of good things you can say about Marvin. He's accomplished a lot of things during his tenure here. Unfortunately, when it comes to 'end results'...his record is one of failure and wasted opportunities.

I hope like hell that can change this season because it would actually be very cool to see Marvin get that gorilla off his (and the team's) back and make a legit playoff run.

God i hope so... Rock On
Reply/Quote
I think we can all agree that the ONLY way Lewis should ever be compared to Belichick is that the transcripts of their press conferences sound somewhat similar. The comparisons come to a dead stop after that.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:32 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I think we can all agree that the ONLY way Lewis should ever be compared to Belichick is that the transcripts of their press conferences sound somewhat similar.  The comparisons come to a dead stop after that.

For sure.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 12:49 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: This board needs to shore up the up front line play. 

It all starts with controlling the line of scrimmage. 

BREAKING NEWS: The board has just signed an expert consultant to a 25 year contract. Problem solved!

[Image: p38jIBc.jpg]

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: BREAKING NEWS: The board has just signed an expert consultant to a 25 year contract. Problem solved!

[Image: p38jIBc.jpg]

Ninja

Welcome to the boards Coach Teethis
Reply/Quote
In my opinion the lack of success in the post season may be due to Marvin Lewis treating playoff games as "Just another game" when clearly it is not. If the coach treats playoff games as "Just another game" then the rest of the team will as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:32 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I think we can all agree that the ONLY way Lewis should ever be compared to Belichick is that the transcripts of their press conferences sound somewhat similar.  The comparisons come to a dead stop after that.

And thta is why threads likie this are so stupid.

People criticize Lewis for doing the exact same thing that the best coach in the league does.  It proves how little some fans know.  They just automatically criticize everything Marvin does just because they don't like Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And thta is why threads likie this are so stupid.

People criticize Lewis for doing the exact same thing that the best coach in the league does.  It proves how little some fans know.  They just automatically criticize everything Marvin does just because they don't like Marvin.

Except Lewis does not do "the exact same thing" that the best coach in the league does.  The best coach in the league wins championships.  Lewis wins 1:00 PM ET games.  

Belichick gets leeway when it comes to innocuous pressers because that's just what they are.  Lewis gets heat because not only does that persistently dull attitude he displays shows itself with the media, it also shows up on the sidelines and that demeanor/approach in 13 seasons has resulted in exactly ZERO victories in the postseason. Belichick has 4 SB's in 6 trips. Facts.

Yeah, Lewis does the exact same thing the best coach in the league does, except he doesn't. Case closed.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:57 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Except Lewis does not do "the exact same thing" that the best coach in the league does.  The best coach in the league wins championships.  Lewis wins 1:00 PM ET games.  

Belichick gets leeway when it comes to innocuous pressers because that's just what they are.  Lewis gets heat because not only does that persistently dull attitude he displays shows itself with the media, it also shows up on the sidelines and that demeanor/approach in 13 seasons has resulted in exactly ZERO victories in the postseason. Belichick has 4 SB's in 6 trips. Facts.

Yeah, Lewis does the exact same thing the best coach in the league does, except he doesn't.  Case closed.

Lewis is just as animated as Belechick on the sidelines.  Fact.  Case closed.

I am not saying that Marvin is above criticism.  But it is silly to just criticize everything he does just because you don't like him.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 12:01 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: The biggest problem with Marvin Lewis is how he continues to make the statement that "we need to do better." He acts as if the guys on the other team are not lifting weights and collecting paychecks. Could it be that the other coach saw fitting that the "we need to do better" ship needs to sail on and decided to just out-coach the man across the field from him? Has Bellicheck ever said we need to do better?

Every time "Mr. LET'S GO" says we need to do better is like he is acknowledging the team's failures as the player's fault only along with their inability to will their way on their opponent regardless of the other coaches half time adjustments. He has always been POOR in his adjustments because he figures we should just do better the next time, why adjust anything!

F**K Mr. "Let's GO"

Then Vince Lombardi was a lousy coach because every game of every year he told his Packers they needed to play better and they needed to give even more.  ...." Well I think I can speak for Field Marshall Montgomery--He would say you are asking the impossible of your men"....." Of course he would, because he's never realized that's what we're in business for "........What in the heck do you want Coach Lewis to say.  That 2-2 is great.  That no play-off wins since the 1990 season is great.  You know, you people can complain all you want about Coach Lewis as you have for years, but to whine because he tells the players they need to play better is just some weak chicken shot.  My God, I hear Pee Wee coaches tell kids they have to play harder. I think these grown up men getting paid millions can take a little kick in the pants now and then......and look at my Super Bowl Trophy that all Bengals players and fans want. That is only won by being the most motivated, the most dedicated team, the team that gives everything and then is asked to give even more and somehow they do. A trophy won by the teams Dedicated To Always Wanting To Play Better Than Their Last Game. ...Yes, all teams lift weights. So that must NOT be what wins the Super Bowl. You gotta have heart. Miles of heart. ....Woody Hayes said coaching is 90 % motivation. Now that may not be true in the NFL, but winning coaches such as Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, John Madden, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Chuck Noll certainly were big on MOTIVATION. ....I can't see how you can be upset with a coach that tells his team to play better. You don't realize that is what they are in business for.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 04:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: When talking specifically about postseason coaching performance, the answer is rather obvious...at least to most people.

And because I know where you're going with this...I'll do you one better. Yes, you can even find coaches that have won playoff games that were much worse 'overall' coaches than Marvin. However, that does nothing to change the record setting level of playoff failure that Marvin has accumulated

Unfortunately, there is no argument or comparison that can change that fact.

Excellent post but... Stop feeding the FredToast. He's just looking for an argument. I wouldn't go so far to call him a troll but he's definitely the boards biggest contrarian. I think a part of him is sick of Marvin's ineptitude as well but he'll never admit it and will make excuses and defend Marv until the bitter end. Just let him, no use fighting it. 
Reply/Quote