Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin Lewis: Tyler Boyd 'exceeded my expectations'
(08-14-2016, 11:08 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Man I'd be surprised to see Alford get much time at X, but I suppose it's possible they will just to see exactly what they have. 

One of Alford's supposed strengths are his ability to track and high-point the deep ball.  Steve Smith is probably the "best-in-class" on these, and he isn't a very tall guy, either (I still LMAO at "Ice up, son").  

Alford has blazing speed and that is what is needed at the "X" position...be a vertical threat that the opposition must keep a safety back to account for.  I would think with his height that he might actually be a better fit at "X" than in the slot, and Andy does have a tendency to hit a little high....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of Alford's supposed strengths are his ability to track and high-point the deep ball.  Steve Smith is probably the "best-in-class" on these, and he isn't a very tall guy, either (I still LMAO at "Ice up, son").  

Alford has blazing speed and that is what is needed at the "X" position...be a vertical threat that the opposition must keep a safety back to account for.  I would think with his height that he might actually be a better fit at "X" than in the slot, and Andy does have a tendency to hit a little high....

Problem for Alford is Core is a better X.
Reply/Quote
Didn't get to see the game. Does anyone know why LaFell didn't play? Is he injured or somehow already in the doghouse? Was Boyd starting and playing outside? I'd honestly prefer Boyd starting, if it was more due to him impressing and less to do with LaFell disappointing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 12:17 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: One of Alford's supposed strengths are his ability to track and high-point the deep ball.  Steve Smith is probably the "best-in-class" on these, and he isn't a very tall guy, either (I still LMAO at "Ice up, son").  

I disagree with this statement.

In my mind, the X needs to be physical more than anything.

They split end is on the line from the get go, so they are starting off in contact and have to be able to get through it.

Think Anquan Boldin.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 08:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't get to see the game. Does anyone know why LaFell didn't play? Is he injured or somehow already in the doghouse? Was Boyd starting and playing outside? I'd honestly prefer Boyd starting, if it was more due to him impressing and less to do with LaFell disappointing.

Lafell was out due to a minor hand injury I believe. And if I remember right Tate started opposite AJ outside. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 08:55 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Lafell was out due to a minor hand injury I believe. And if I remember right Tate started opposite AJ outside. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. I hadn't heard about the injury. Hopefully keeping him out is precautionary.

If he's definitely going to win the #2 gig though, it'd be nice to get as many preseason snaps as possible.

Also, if Boyd is only playing slot even with LaFell out, then it's a safe bet that he won't be starting outside anytime soon.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks. I hadn't heard about the injury. Hopefully keeping him out is precautionary.

If he's definitely going to win the #2 gig though, it'd be nice to get as many preseason snaps as possible.

Also, if Boyd is only playing slot even with LaFell out, then it's a safe bet that he won't be starting outside anytime soon.

I think it's definitely lafells  job for now but Boyd did play some outside as the game went on. The 40 yd reception he had was as the outside receiver, so he is capable. But I'm like you, I want to see lafell  earn the job as I don't think it should just be handed to him. Cody core played really well on the outside too. I honestly think this team is going to be just fine at WR. Time will tell but the eye test tells me that the young WR's just seem to get it.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 10:19 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think it's definitely lafells  job for now but Boyd did play some outside as the game went on. The 40 yd reception he had was as the outside receiver, so he is capable. But I'm like you, I want to see lafell  earn the job as I don't think it should just be handed to him. Cody core played really well on the outside too. I honestly think this team is going to be just fine at WR. Time will tell but the eye test tells me that the young WR's just seem to get it.

Good deal. It sounds like the young guys will hit the ground running.

I agree, I think we'll be fine at WR.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2016, 08:55 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Lafell was out due to a minor hand injury I believe. And if I remember right Tate started opposite AJ outside. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct.

(08-14-2016, 10:19 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I think it's definitely lafells  job for now but Boyd did play some outside as the game went on. The 40 yd reception he had was as the outside receiver, so he is capable. But I'm like you, I want to see lafell  earn the job as I don't think it should just be handed to him. Cody core played really well on the outside too. I honestly think this team is going to be just fine at WR. Time will tell but the eye test tells me that the young WR's just seem to get it.

Went from a place of weakness to a strength in one Preseason game IMHO.

Core really surprised me with his route running ability which was his problem in college, was our best Receiver
Friday night. That does not take away from what Boyd did either who showed tons and Erickson and Simonise
has such a wide catching radius.

Alford also shown some on Returns.

Sucks cause one of these guys or two will not make the team cause of Tate even though Tate is just solid.

Sometimes you need to gamble a bit on a young guy. I would gamble on Erickson being our Returner myself.

He has great hands, makes good decisions, doesn't put the ball on the ground and is quicker than Tate.

(08-15-2016, 01:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good deal. It sounds like the young guys will hit the ground running.

I agree, I think we'll be fine at WR.

Looks deep all of a sudden for heck sake. Cool
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 02:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are correct.

Went from a place of weakness to a strength in one Preseason game IMHO.

Core really surprised me with his route running ability which was his problem in college, was our best Receiver
Friday night. That does not take away from what Boyd did either who showed tons and Erickson and Simonise
has such a wide catching radius.

Alford also shown some on Returns.

Sucks cause one of these guys or two will not make the team cause of Tate even though Tate is just solid.

Sometimes you need to gamble a bit on a young guy. I would gamble on Erickson being our Returner myself.

He has great hands, makes good decisions, doesn't put the ball on the ground and is quicker than Tate.

Looks deep all of a sudden for heck sake. Cool

I'm so torn because deep down inside I feel like cutting Tate would be a bad decision. The problem is, like you said, keeping him takes away a spot from one of the other guys. Tate has been solid, but I think it's safe to say he is going to continue be a perpetually average player. That's not all bad to have on your team unless you are possibly cutting someone with higher upside. And who knows, maybe none of the young fringe WR's have a higher ceiling. But what if they do? They'll never last on the practice squad, will they? So now assuming that, we've lost them to who knows what team? It's a rough scenario all the way around and I'm not sure what the right or wrong answer is, or if there even is one.

Reply/Quote
I think the WR room will look like this:
Green
LaFell
Boyd
Tate
Core

With Wright and Erikson battling for the last spot.

I believe that Wright wins it.  He's bigger, faster (when he gets the rust off) and has a history of separating and getting open down field.

I LOVE Erikson.  He really reminds me of Julian Edelman - with the same flexibility and mental toughness.   But he had trouble separating when he was in.

We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:00 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: I'm so torn because deep down inside I feel like cutting Tate would be a bad decision. The problem is, like you said, keeping him takes away a spot from one of the other guys. Tate has been solid, but I think it's safe to say he is going to continue be a perpetually average player. That's not all bad to have on your team unless you are possibly cutting someone with higher upside. And who knows, maybe none of the young fringe WR's have a higher ceiling. But what if they do? They'll never last on the practice squad, will they? So now assuming that, we've lost them to who knows what team? It's a rough scenario all the way around and I'm not sure what the right or wrong answer is, or if there even is one.

Feel the same way. Tate is solid and the people that hate on him i do not understand but the truth is he is not nor
will he ever be great. Players like Cody Core could be great, players like Rashaun Simonise could be great.

The problem for guys like Simonise, Erickson, Alford and Kumerow is that Tate is solid and we know what he can do.

Simmons will be the judge in the end.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:00 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the WR room will look like this:
Green
LaFell
Boyd
Tate
Core

With Wright and Erikson battling for the last spot.

I believe that Wright wins it.  He's bigger, faster (when he gets the rust off) and has a history of separating and getting open down field.

I LOVE Erikson.  He really reminds me of Julian Edelman - with the same flexibility and mental toughness.   But he had trouble separating when he was in.

We'll see.

I keep forgetting about James Wright... Shocked
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I keep forgetting about James Wright... Shocked

If his knee is healed up 100%, his play in the next handful of games will ensure you don't forget about him any more LOL  ThumbsUp   He's gonna make the active roster, almost guaranteed
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:49 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: If his knee is healed up 100%, his play in the next handful of games will ensure you don't forget about him any more LOL  ThumbsUp   He's gonna make the active roster, almost guaranteed

Everytime he has got a chance he has played well.

You are probably right.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 03:49 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: If his knee is healed up 100%, his play in the next handful of games will ensure you don't forget about him any more LOL  ThumbsUp   He's gonna make the active roster, almost guaranteed

I forgot about him even when he was 100% healthy.

Not saying that he will not make the roster.  Just saying that he has done nothing that would even "almost" guarantee him a roster spot.

In 2014 he had six games where he played at least 25% of the offensive snaps (not counting special teams).  In those 6 games he was targeted on 12 passes and produced 5 catches.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2016, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I forgot about him even when he was 100% healthy.

Not saying that he will not make the roster.  Just saying that he has done nothing that would even "almost" guarantee him a roster spot.

It's weird, he really is the forgotten man. 

You and I may think this way but I get the feeling that the coaches feel it's his spot to lose if only because of his time spent in and around the system. I'm not sure he deserves to be put ahead of anyone at this point. He is in no way a lock or "guarantee" to make the roster but I do think he's got the inside track on some of the other fringe guys. They Will have to really impress to usurp him IMO.

Reply/Quote